Underwater Camera

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Its a while off yet but next April I will be on honeymoon here: https://www.bawahreserve.com for 4 nights before heading to Borneo and a few other places inbetween.

We went snorkling in Thailand 3 years ago for the first time and bought a cheap action camera for underwater shots, while I got some the camera wasnt up to much so I'm looking at getting an underwater capable camera.

I've been looking at Olympus Tough TG-6.

Does anyone have any experiance with it? or any other recomendations?

Cheers

The TG6 a friend has one and loves it, I am not sure how deep it will go, he uses it as a boating camera, for taking general boating and fishing pictres.

I am about to list a Canon G12, hardly used because it isn't long enough for what I want, in a proper dive housing, 40m depth housing. Boxes and everything, if that would pique your interest. I haven't dived with it, I tried it for kayaking, I just wanted the waterproofing.

The TG6 a friend has one and loves it, I am not sure how deep it will go, he uses it as a boating camera, for taking general boating and fishing pictres.

I am about to list a Canon G12, hardly used because it isn't long enough for what I want, in a proper dive housing, 40m depth housing. Boxes and everything, if that would pique your interest. I haven't dived with it, I tried it for kayaking, I just wanted the waterproofing.

It'll be snorkelling so unless something gos drastically wrong it'll be not far under the surface.

Thanks, I wont be buying for a few months yet, priority is the flights at the moment.

May be with looking into a higher spec model (aka with a bigger sensor) and a waterproof housing? Given it is a once in a lifetime.. even a micro 4/3 with a. Good prime and housing?

May be with looking into a higher spec model (aka with a bigger sensor) and a waterproof housing? Given it is a once in a lifetime.. even a micro 4/3 with a. Good prime and housing?

I've no idea where to start looking to be honest or what I'm looking at. I will only have 15kg baggage allowance and will be on a wildlife tour a few days later needing the canon 7d mk ii and the 150-600.

Bear in mind that a housing can cost as much as a decent camera, you may well be better off either getting a purpose-made tough compact or a decent used camera & housing like Simon is selling.

What sort of price would be looking at and how quickly would you want the sale?

Bear in mind that a housing can cost as much as a decent camera, you may well be better off either getting a purpose-made tough compact or a decent used camera & housing like Simon is selling.

I originally looked at housing for the canon but there is no way it's worth it

I have a colleague who's a serious diver, and his most recent housing was about 50% more than the camera inside.

What sort of price would be looking at and how quickly would you want the sale?

No immediate rush. I have all the bumpf that came with the camera. 2x batteries. Charger etc.... same with the dedicated housing. £175 all in? I can do some pictures of it all - the camera has hardly been used because I bougt the Nikon Coolpix with longer lens and used it constantly. I still do! Come and have a go with it, the housing allows you to change any and all of the settings from the outside.

Last edited:
Ideally, you'd like something that lets you set WB - underwater can really confuse this. And bear in mind you'll lose a lot of light transmission as you get further from your subjects so wide angle and close is king. Water also has a magnifying affect so keep this in mind

Richard,

As you'll be mainly close to the surface you won't get a major amount of issues with the WB - not unless you're shooting subjects several metres below you, and in that case, chances are the shots will be pretty crappy anyway! That said, if you can get a camera that can shoot in RAW, or at least set a manual white balance, then you're in with a fighting chance.

Shooting underwater, every bit of water you shoot through degrades the IQ, which is why we tend to favour macro and ultra wide lenses in order to get as close to the subject as possible. My 2 main underwater lenses, and those of the overwhelming majority of U/W shooters are macro and fisheyes. Again, the closer to the fish you are, the less WB issues you will have.

I often dive with someone who has an Olympus TG4, and he gets superb results. He's a professional diver so obviously that Is a major plus, but I've also borrowed that camera for comparison shots on a dive and for the money its a great bit of kit. I could easily recommend that line of cameras

Mike

No immediate rush. I have all the bumpf that came with the camera. 2x batteries. Charger etc.... same with the dedicated housing. £175 all in? I can do some pictures of it all - the camera has hardly been used because I bougt the Nikon Coolpix with longer lens and used it constantly. I still do! Come and have a go with it, the housing allows you to change any and all of the settings from the outside.

If you could do some pictures I'd appreciate it. Thanks for the offer of coming to have a look but it's a little far :(.

If you could do some pictures I'd appreciate it. Thanks for the offer of coming to have a look but it's a little far :(.

I shall go and get everything organised and photograph it en mass, then closer. You'll have to bear with me for a bit, deadline looms and I have a feature to write - one I didn't even have to go out of the door to do! It is going to be nice again tomorrow though, if that is OK.

I shall go and get everything organised and photograph it en mass, then closer. You'll have to bear with me for a bit, deadline looms and I have a feature to write - one I didn't even have to go out of the door to do! It is going to be nice again tomorrow though, if that is OK.

Thats fine mate. I can't see me turning it down at that price to be honest, the missus has said as its for the honeymoon it can be classed as a wedding expense :)

Just doing a few pictures of the housing now - WITH THE G12, and I think the metadata will give you the lens length and aperture etc.... it does on the computer anyway. I shall just shoot them in jpeg - it does shoot RAW and there is a DPP cd in the box, which is the Canon software that comes with the camera. Both batteries hold full charge. The camera has done 3994 shots - including the handful I have done of the housing, charger and spare battery (the other one is in the camera, of course!)

I am getting nagged to go and get provisions from the bank. We are shielding so have to get our stuff from the drop off point. Back and do more later.

Just doing a few pictures of the housing now - WITH THE G12, and I think the metadata will give you the lens length and aperture etc.... it does on the computer anyway. I shall just shoot them in jpeg - it does shoot RAW and there is a DPP cd in the box, which is the Canon software that comes with the camera. Both batteries hold full charge. The camera has done 3994 shots - including the handful I have done of the housing, charger and spare battery (the other one is in the camera, of course!)

I am getting nagged to go and get provisions from the bank. We are shielding so have to get our stuff from the drop off point. Back and do more later.

Thanks. Look forward to the pics. Sorry for the delay went for a little walk on the Moors after work.
Turns out the OS route we were following was someone realising they had gone the wrong way and cutting over open moorland haha

The TG-6 is a nice camera, a friend has one and has shown me a cracking set of shots with it. Without an external housing it's rated to 15 m. With it goes a lot deeper. If I didn't have a G7x plus housing and all the kit I would definitely get one.

Back