Underwater Photography

A good housing and some lights.

Sea and sea website is good , or have a look at the dive shows / forums :D

yeah i have my open water which i got in august Martyn is a more experienced diver and we have an s95 compact to use, and are about to get the underwater housing.

For the record i can scuba better than i can snorkel ;)

lots to remember - if your around London have a chat with Paul at cameras underwater.

Biggest things to remember are that water acts like a blue filter which absorbs roughly one stop of light for every 2 meters in any direction. So as well as all the other issues this causes everything tends to be very blue, shot in raw so you can adjust WB afterwards

Everything looks bigger too, so it has an affect on min focus distances, you may wish to counter this by adding diopter adjustments to your lens ports

Flash is essential, but equally important to get it of camera, even the clearest sea is full of suspended matter and it will backscatter if you don't and disfuse the flash.

Wideangle lenses are the order of the day, the issues with light travel through water really preclude the use of telephoto lenses

Most importanly you need to keep an eye on your dive still as your highest priority. I know it sounds obvious, but I watched a new camera diver suck his tank dry earlier in the summer, panic at 25m and have a very 'interesting' and fast trip to the surface, followed by an equally fast trip to hospital.

Hugh

Have you got the housing for your camera yet?? I do not know how much it costs for a housing for your camera but i just bought one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INTOVA-ic12-U...255638410?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item5add0c778a

I know it looks cheap but it takes some great pictures, I used my IC10 in Egypt this year and got some great pics till someone decided they where going to flood it for me ad broke it.

I have a strobe for it too, not used it yet though.

DPP_0007.jpg

DPP_0010.jpg

Best bit of advice i can give is take loads of pics as like humans fish do not stay and pose for you ha ha ha!!!

spike

don't do that - the dry tank/gasping for air 25m underwater isn't a good look :)

Been there too but I was only at 5m at the time. Unfortunately had a dive boat moving about directly overhead thanks to another company picking up against the reef where we were doing safety stops. It was against Maldivian law to pick up at the reef but this lot just kept ignoring that law apparently. Props are disturbing things when you're only a few m away.

My tip would be to be mindful of other divers. I've been shoved out of the way so many times by divers with cameras. I tend to leave the camera at home and buy a DVD from the official photographer but they only tend to have those on live-aboards.

Thanks Spike

looks like you have been having fun.

Tbh would rather get a housing for a camera we are used to using adding a 5 camera to our gear will just confuse the issue.

Been there too but I was only at 5m at the time. Unfortunately had a dive boat moving about directly overhead thanks to another company picking up against the reef where we were doing safety stops. It was against Maldivian law to pick up at the reef but this lot just kept ignoring that law apparently. Props are disturbing things when you're only a few m away.

My tip would be to be mindful of other divers. I've been shoved out of the way so many times by divers with cameras. I tend to leave the camera at home and buy a DVD from the official photographer but they only tend to have those on live-aboards.

well you get rude photographers above and under water :shake:

watch out for bubbles getting in the photo but, don't hold your breath.

breath holding = up and down

up and down = the bends

seen it, not so good.

Obviously, the 2 most important skills are bouyancy and not damaging the reef, but we'll take those as read.
I noted on your public page you have a G9. If thats the case, and you think you might get into UW stuff, then I'd consider getting the ikelite housing for this, simply as it offers ttl should you get ikelite strobes (flashes) in the future.
Alternatively take a look at underwatercamerahire.com for very reasonable hire charges. I've used them before, and the owner Terry is very helpful.
Best website for tips is wetpixel.com.
And finally, just when you think you're too close - get a bit closer!!

Back