Unhappy with Studio photos - thoughts needed

That's not actually any better, it's still just as soft as it was. Nothing to do with anyones skill level - the image is out of focus; It can't be sorted or saved.

it is slightly better as in it got colour tones and and brightness improved. Oversharpening is one (poor) way of dealing with it - this might print reasonable 6x4 now

The only real solution is to reshoot.

I still can't believe the "she" moron has a successful business

Thing is, I've seen quite a few of these studios that do just the same type of work, I won't name any but I once went for an interview as an in house photographer and it was literally a 300D setup with the old 35-80mm, they even panicked when I took the camera off the tripod and started changing a few things and used manual as they would not remember what the original settings would be (it was in Auto)

I'm quite frightful of these places now as you see them recruiting all the time on various websites for 'Photographers wanting to earn extra money'

I think form what we can see, the OP won't be likely to receive a full refund but I would fight for a partial refund or even a second shoot with a bit more time and fun added, taking photos is supposed to be about having a moment of fun and capturing that forever, not a heavily over priced conveyor belt business! This is just my opinion though :)

taking photos is supposed to be about having a moment of fun and capturing that forever, not a heavily over priced conveyor belt business! This is just my opinion though :)

Very true, but the customer is aware of where they are going aren't they?

The conveyor belt businesses are plain to see and if you want a more personal and arguably better set of photos then seek out the better photographers.
It will take more effort and time on research and so on and may even cost more but the end result will be better. If you can't be bothered with that then get on that conveyor belt...

They're all printable, acceptable quality is also subjective.

Really? So there's no expectation that having family portraits taken professionally should result in photographs that are in focus? I suppose focus can be subjective too if you really want it to be.

Would YOU be happy with those images if you'd paid £200 for that disk?

I'm trying to keep the exact details of what we paid to myself, but lets just say that you'd need both hands to count the £hundreds that we parted with.

Really? So there's no expectation that having family portraits taken professionally should result in photographs that are in focus? I suppose focus can be subjective too if you really want it to be.

I think it was more than £200! :eek:

Heather

I suppose focus can be subjective too if you really want it to be.
Absolutely. That image wasn't out of focus, it was 'creatively unsharp to truly capture the essence of the subject'! :LOL:

Personally I wouldn't be happy if a friend did those for free.

The thing that I find shocking about this is that the photographer is happy for such poor quality to leave the camera, let alone the studio on a CD of finished images.

We all have off days, but I wouldn't ever expect a client to pay for sub-standard work. If my day was so off that I produced those pictures I confess I'd lie, say there had been a technical fault and reshoot.

I don't work in family portraiture, but please put my mind at rest; this is an aberration, there can't be anybody making a living producing such work. Or am I wildly out of touch with the world?

Cheers,
Tony

I'm surprised no one on here has offered to do a shoot for the OP instead :)

I would still go down the refund route but from my knowledge, it's very hard to argue over picture quality, say if such went to a court, it only takes one person to think the photos look good but then they may not have 20-20 vision :p

Out of interest, why did you go to this particular studio?

He said in an earlier post that they'd used the studio before and been happy.

The pricing points toward a quality outfit but the number and quality of images is quite the opposite.

The studio have admitted today that they have an intermittent fault with the focussing on either the camera or the lens. They have also agreed that many of the shots are OOF

So they have a new body and lens on the way and will re-do the shoot for us.

Last edited:
The studio have admitted today that they have an intermittent fault with the focussing on either the camera or the lens. They have also agreed that many of the shots are OOF

Excellent result (y)

Fantastic. At least they will rectify the problem instead of taking a risk and just issuing the cd to you :)

Presumably they looked at these before sticking them on the disk so you may want to suggest they get a new monitor and glasses too.

Seriously though they're either incompetent or have tried to fob you off with images they know are garbage and so if it were me I'd be pushing for a refund and going elsewhere.

Faults like that are rarely intermittent. They screwed up (though why you agreed to buy the images is still a bit unclear). Let's hope they sort things out but I'm not holding my breath, they sound a bit clueless.

damianmkv said:

Dodgy/intermittent focusing my left plumb. The photos were shoite and they know it.

The lighting, posing and technical approach was awful, the QC non existent and the value for money rotten.

They are fobbing you off and frankly, if I were you, I'd be asking for a full refund. If they refuse, take the story to the newspapers. Let me know if you decide to do tha, it'd equal an almost guaranteed reshoot with someone decent.

Last edited:
Dodgy/intermittent focusing my left plumb. The photos were shoite and they know it.

The lighting, posing and technical approach was awful, the QC non existent and the value for money rotten.

They are fobbing you off and frankly, if I were you, I'd be asking for a full refund. If they refuse, take the story to the newspapers. Let me know if you decide to do tha, it'd equal an almost guaranteed reshoot with someone decent.

What he said ^^^

Be interesting to see if it's still a D80.... and whether it's the same serial number (EXIF).

At least their re-shooting it for you... result. If it is the same camera though... I'd let them know that you know... just as a parting shot... I mean, why let people think they can get away with it? It may make them think before using that excuse again.

That may be my cynical viewpoint on the general duplicity of people though... I'm sure everything will be fine.

'nowt wrong with Stockport :)

Be interesting to see if it's still a D80.... and whether it's the same serial number (EXIF).

At least their re-shooting it for you... result. If it is the same camera though... I'd let them know that you know... just as a parting shot... I mean, why let people think they can get away with it? It may make them think before using that excuse again.

That may be my cynical viewpoint on the general duplicity of people though... I'm sure everything will be fine.

Apparently it will be on a 5d of some variety...

We now have a split party with 2 of the 3 wanting a re-shoot and 1 wanting a refund.

So more family discussion needs to take place

We now have a split party with 2 of the 3 wanting a re-shoot and 1 wanting a refund.

It was just me being cynical then :)

Personally, i'd get a refund. Even if they where awaiting delivery of a hasselblad, a reshoot will still probably yield a disc full of images with poor lighting, unimaginative poses and nonexistent post processing. Should be nice and sharp though.

You tell the 2 that you get the re-fund and then go and get the re-shoot elsewhere

Wouldn't be enough for me. The workflow would've given several chances to flag the lens or body being at fault. Their excuse for the shots means that either they spotted the problem, and gave you the shots anyway, meaning they tried to dupe you, or they didn't notice, which means they aren't qualified to charge money for their service.

They don't deserve your money.

Back