Unidentified Bird

Edit My Images
Yes
I thought this was a black bird, as it was the same size, but acted in a different way.

From what i saw, it had a black beak, but this may have been because the light was so intense, and caused a stong shadow, but even when it turned it's head i could still see no yellow.

Is there another species that is similar to this as i couldn't see anything in my book?

BTW I'm pretty sure it's not a corvid of any description before anyone suggests.

Any ideas?

Apologies for the bad pics, it was the closest i could get and the sun was coming quite harshly from the left.

2189240615_f2bccc9d2b.jpg
Bigger Image 1
2189242417_538d1bbdda.jpg
Bigger Image 2
2190030928_df1995065c.jpg
Bigger Image 3

They are not very clear pics KH ... :thinking: ... but I'll give it a shot ... :D

I reckon it's an in-comer type Blackbird ... although the tail does look rather longish ... have you got any clearer pics ... :shrug:

At this time of year, along with the Winter Thrushes we get a lot of immigrant 'other' birds swelling our garden bird numbers. One of these is the continental Blackbird from Northern Europe and Scandinavia etc., and quite often these have black beaks as you describe ... :cautious: ... we have loads of them in our garden at themoment. They will all be gone by March as usual ... :D

HTH ... :shrug:

:p

It could be a jackdaw, But not enough definition in the shot.

Could be Immature 1st winter blackbird as they have a dark bill.

You can see bars Chris ... :eek: ... there must be something seriously wrong with my monitor then ... :shrug: ... I can hardly see the damn thing at all ... :cautious:

You can see bars Chris ... :eek: ... there must be something seriously wrong with my monitor then ... :shrug: ... I can hardly see the damn thing at all ... :cautious:

Did you go to the "larger edits" Ven?
one shows the bars with a white tip one shows a white area
#1 & #2

I reckon it's an in-comer type Blackbird ... although the tail does look rather longish ... have you got any clearer pics ... :shrug:

Sorry no clearer pics available, unfortunately i have deleted the RAW file as well, as i just assumed it was a blackbird when i shot it, then looked a second time at it when i was looking through the JPEGs :(

I have even scanned my Norton recoverable Recycle bin files, but it has already gone :(

I too think it is not native to this country...

Did you go to the "larger edits" Ven?
one shows the bars with a white tip one shows a white area
#1 & #2

D'oh ... :bonk: ... no I didn't even notice the "Bigger Picture" offer ... :LOL:

Having looked at them now I still cannot see the bars and I would definitely say it is a Blackbird ... :shrug: ... in which case it is most likely an interloper variety ... :D

young cuckoo?

I asked a twitcher friend of mine and he reckons it's either a immature blackbird.

991001.jpg
curcur16977.jpg

Or even a redwinged blackbird, from the shape of the beak and the long tail, although we cannot see the "red bits"

JR61583-ima-RWBB-tree.jpg
Agelaius_phoeniceus,_Red-winged_Blackbird,I_JSA232.jpg
19868%20Red-winged%20Blackbird.jpg
436679809_4d32c5741d.jpg

The mystery continues...

I still stand by what I said, the eyes are preditor eyes the beak is totally the wrong shape for a blackbird or "cousin" & the tail is barred with white tips large image #2 gives the best view of these

Looks like a pigeon in a dark suit to me! :shrug:

I still stand by what I said, the eyes are preditor eyes the beak is totally the wrong shape for a blackbird or "cousin" & the tail is barred with white tips large image #2 gives the best view of these

Cobra I think your observations could be just the way the light is reflecting off the eyes and the beak and is coming from behind the tip of the tail.
I say common Blackbird.

OK my last post on the subject I am 99% sure its a melanistic Spar
Anyone else flown spars? seen them from different angles in different lighting conditions :shrug:

The beak has an orange tip by the looks of it. I'm gonna go with black bird too. I was also considering it being a juvenile Ring Ouzel, but I think the tail is not quite right for that.

Funnily enough I had an immigrant blackbird in my garden this morning (never seen one before) and the tails definitely do look longer than our blackbirds, and a dark beak with just a hint of orange...

Back