Upcoming Canon Spring Cashback

I have just submitted a claim on the spring cashback scheme after purchasing the 600ex-rt speedlite from Ian and received an email from Canon stating that it had been turned down.

Did they give any reason ?

Are you going to phone them and ask why ?

Did they give any reason ?

Are you going to phone them and ask why ?

They did give a reason and I also phoned them back , the reason they gave was:

"We are very sorry to inform you that, although the camera is a genuine Canon camera, it was put on the market outside of Europe and was not intended for the European market. Such products are known as "parallel goods" or "grey market" goods and their sale in the UK is unlawful. Therefore, we are very sorry to say that we cannot accept your promotion claim in respect of this product"

This was part of the reply I got back although it doesnt refer to the item in question ie speedlite, it refers to a genuine canon camera, so I assume this is just an automated reply.

I contacted their promo site and also spoke to Canon UK technical services both saying the same thing.

I have contacted Ian and will attempt his suggestion of putting it through again in the near future.........

This is one of their clauses in the T&C's

1.4 All products must be purchased within the UK or ROI from a UK or ROI retailer
and must have been supplied and distributed to retailers by Canon UK Ltd or Canon
group companies located in the European Economic Area. Please check with your
retailer that this is the case to help avoid disappointment.

Not sure if this is a new addition to the cash-back procedures although I was successful with a new printer I purchased from Staples.......

"We are very sorry to inform you that, although the camera is a genuine Canon camera, it was put on the market outside of Europe and was not intended for the European market. Such products are known as "parallel goods" or "grey market" goods and their sale in the UK is unlawful. Therefore, we are very sorry to say that we cannot accept your promotion claim in respect of this product"

Unlawful to sell grey imports? I don't think so. There may be 'issues' around whether or not duty has been paid but it's not illegal to sell them just because they came in from a supplier which Canon don't approve of. Is it?

Unlawful to sell grey imports? I don't think so. There may be 'issues' around whether or not duty has been paid but it's not illegal to sell them just because they came in from a supplier which Canon don't approve of. Is it?

Copied straight from their email......but thats not my arguement, my concerns are associated with validity on warranty which is what I discussed with them.....

Copied straight from their email......but thats not my arguement, my concerns are associated with validity on warranty which is what I discussed with them.....

Yes, I realise it came from their email. It just seems that they are going too far in their assertion that it's unlawful to sell grey imports in the UK...

This was part of the reply I got back although it doesnt refer to the item in question ie speedlite, it refers to a genuine canon camera, so I assume this is just an automated reply.

I contacted their promo site and also spoke to Canon UK technical services both saying the same thing.

I have contacted Ian and will attempt his suggestion of putting it through again in the near future.........

That's a shame as I know cashback has been successful in the past from Kerso.

Where does this leave you with warranty ? Are the speed lights classed the same as a lens - international warranty or a camera which is local warranty ?

It's a shame that it was rejected . I had my eye on a 5d MKIII , less than 2k with cashback through Ian . Just worried now that even if I do buy in the end , they'll still be no warranty .

Thanks very much for posting this info. Whilst I've had two lenses from Ian which I've claimed cashback on without problems, I suspected the recent clampdown on serial numbers would cause problems and this seems to confirm it. Whilst there's a chance some might slip through the net, unfortunately I now have to make any purchasing decisions on the assumption that ones from Ian won't be valid for cashback.

Much as I've had great prices and service from Ian in the past, if Canon are now validating serial numbers then I'm afraid his UK receipt/warranty is effectively worthless and offers nothing more than you get from the HK importers, most of whom are cheaper.

just to resurrect this thread, following a recent refused cashback claim to canon for a 600 speedlite from Kerso, I have today received out of the blue an email from canon saying that my claim has been accepted and payment expected within 28 days........the proof will be in receipt of the cheque but an unexpected email from them nonetheless.

just to resurrect this thread, following a recent refused cashback claim to canon for a 600 speedlite from Kerso, I have today received out of the blue an email from canon saying that my claim has been accepted and payment expected within 28 days........the proof will be in receipt of the cheque but an unexpected email from them nonetheless.

That's good news. Hopefully your cheque will arrive ...

Did you query the initial refusal or have they just accepted it now ???

didnt query it just accepted the loss until the email came through today saying its been accepted

Yes you will get Canon cashback on my purchases. Canon have been paying out on most this week. Regards Ian.

You will still get cashback on my Canon items. Canon are paying out. Also full 1 year warranty on any item I sell regardless. I will look after any item I sell for one year. Regards Ian.

Thanks very much for posting this info. Whilst I've had two lenses from Ian which I've claimed cashback on without problems, I suspected the recent clampdown on serial numbers would cause problems and this seems to confirm it. Whilst there's a chance some might slip through the net, unfortunately I now have to make any purchasing decisions on the assumption that ones from Ian won't be valid for cashback.

Much as I've had great prices and service from Ian in the past, if Canon are now validating serial numbers then I'm afraid his UK receipt/warranty is effectively worthless and offers nothing more than you get from the HK importers, most of whom are cheaper.

Thanks for that Ian. I wasn't criticising you in any way, as I said I've had great prices and service from you in the past.

I'm looking to purchase a 70-200 MkII before the end of May and, if I can get the cashback after purchasing from yourself then I'd obviously go that way but the earlier report here that Canon wouldn't honour it worries me.

Are you saying you'd guarantee Canon would still honour your receipts and serial numbers for cashback purposes?

To be honest, even without a "guarantee" but with a good chance the cashback would be honoured, it's probably better to go with Ian.

Current best UK retail price is circa £1780, which after the cashback is £1545. Ian's price is currently £1599, so if you got the cashback it'd be significantly cheaper but even if you didn't, you'll only end up paying £54 more.

My cash back claim for a printer was accepted in writing several weeks ago, and I have just received an e mail saying due to "unforeseen technical difficulties" there will be a further delay in payment!

The amount owed won't result in me eating jam and bread for Sunday lunch, but why are Canon suddenly getting curmudgeonly? Are they having to raid another piggy bank?

Same here for the 24 - 70 MKII I purchased according to the email. The cashback for the 5D MKIII I'm due wasn't mentioned however.

if i buy the 600ex flash in amazon uk is that eligable for £80 cashback?

when does the cashback deal run out?

if i buy the 600ex flash in amazon uk is that eligable for £80 cashback?

If you buy direct from Amazon UK yes, if its from someone else selling on Amazon, or even fulfilled by Amazon, no.

Ends 31/05
http://www.canon.co.uk/springcashback/

The T&Cs

1.4 All products must be purchased within the UK or ROI from a UK or ROI retailer and must have been supplied and distributed to retailers by Canon UK Ltd or Canon group companies located in the European Economic Area. Please check with your retailer that this is the case to help avoid disappointment.

1.5 All products must be new and genuine Canon products. Purchases of second hand, refurbished or reconditioned products, or products which are counterfeit or infringe the intellectual property rights of the Canon group of companies in any way (for example, including but not limited to parallel or “grey” products) will not qualify under this promotion.

1.6 Specific seller exclusions: Products purchased from ebay, whether listed as new or otherwise, will not be eligible for this promotion. Products purchased from third party sellers on Amazon (i.e not from Amazon directly) whether fulfilled by Amazon or not, will not be eligible for this promotion.

Last edited:
Just a note to say I purchased a lens from Kerso last week which arrived yesterday. Submitted my cashback claim online this morning and have already had a reply saying it's been approved :)

The approval emails come through pretty quickly. I think I had three for different stages and the last to say payment would be within 28 days. Ill keep watching but from reading this thread not holding up much hope!

TBH I don't mind how long they take as long as I get it eventually - in some ways longer is better as I'll undoubtedly forget about it and then it'll feel like free money when it arrives! :D

My post was more about confirming that items from Kerso are indeed still being accepted for cashback claims :)

just in case any one has forgotten to submit their claims, reviving this thread ;) i just submitted for the 70-200 i bought off kerso within the qualifying period and got an email saying it has been accepted :) was hoping someone successfully claimed cashback for 5d3 from kerso? i was too afraid to submit both together!

My claim for my 70-200 mkII from Kerso was accepted immediately and paid a week or so ago.

harryb: I'd contact Canon and ask them to explain their reasons.

Back