Beginner Upgrade advice?

Name
Harmony
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently have a Canon T2i and am looking to upgrade, whether that be in lens or in camera body.

I really only take photos as a hobby, but I care enough to want my photos to look as professional as possible. However, I've had problems with getting sharp landscape photos... particularly of trees in the distance and clouds on the horizon.

I purchased a Canon EFS 15-85mm with Image Stabilizer a little over a year ago based on online reviews, thinking it would be an upgrade from the broken Tamron 17-50mm I had before. I do like that the Canon lens has a wider range, but I just don't like how my photos are turning out. The Tamron took sharp photos, so I'm considering going back to that and upgrading to the verison that has VC.

All that said, I'm also wondering if it's time I save up for a new camera body, but I have no idea what would be the best camera to aim for. Would the latest Rebel or version of the Rebel really be any better than my T2i? Or is there a better camera out there that would be a step up without breaking the bank?

Thank you in advance for any camera or lens recommendations!

Hi and welcome to TP

Purely IMO, a new camera or even a lens will not in of itself ensure better pictures.

As you are describing a 'problem' that you are trying to understand and overcome.......can I suggest you post some images for other TP members feedback and insight. Ideally, examples of similar subjects taken with both the Tamron and the Canon.

In each picture that you post include details of:-
Shutter speed
Aperture
ISO
Focal length used

HTH

It’s possible your 15-85 is faulty. Sharpness or lack of it can come from a number of reasons.

1)faulty lens.
2)poor optical quality of the lens but unlikely as you said there are positive reviews.
3)issues with the auto focus system in the camera with this specific lens.
4)user error, incorrect technique.

There maybe other reasons but I can’t recall anymore right now.

Back