Upgrade Disk in mac book pro 2009

Edit My Images
No
Hi
Ive brought a Hy-bred 750gb drive to go in my mac book pro.
Currently got 500g split into two 250gb but need more space.

ideally would like to go back to one partition.

currently running snow leopard.

so i have one new HDD and would like to upgrade to mountain lion.

What the easiest way about going about it.

1.download Mountain lion on old disk and use a USB drive to install on new HDD.

2. up grade existing OS and then copy over to new HDD some how?

please help

You can stick the new drive into a FW800 caddy (or USB2) and then transfer the OS from the main drive's first partition to the new drive. THEN copy the second partition into a folder on the new drive....

Then stick the new drive into the MBP and organise it to your liking. Once completely sorted you can then reformat the old drive and use for backups etc.

As above, new drive in external caddy, run ML installation, then on first boot from ML, transfer User and Applications.
Once done, other partition info into a folder in User account (not the desktop), then put new drive into MBP.
Job done.

ooh thanks for reply you make it sound so easy..
will the ML os choose where i want to install it then?

You make that choice when you run the installer.
The alternative is to just upgrade the installed OS, then once all is done, use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (both free and dl'dable from Macupdate website) to clone the OS and User account, etc over to the external drive.
Copy your other partition's folders over, then as above, swap drives and reformat the old one to become your Time Capsule.

Last edited:
Thanks to the ones who commented
Got it all working. Now just need to fine out how to move the mail over in outlook.

Thanks to the ones who commented
Got it all working. Now just need to fine out how to move the mail over in outlook.

There is an export/import function in outlook for mac (under'File')

Screen%20Shot%202013-03-27%20at%2023.33.24.jpg

Back