upgrade from 40D to 1D mk3

Edit My Images
Yes
hi folks

ok, i have a 40D at the moment and love it. however, i have a hankering for a 1D mk3.

will the image quality from the 1D be noticeably better than the 40D?

any thoughts much appreciated.

d.

This absolutely depends on what subjects you shoot. :)

my interests are broad and varied really. wildlife, macro, portraits, landscape, sporting etc. etc. anything and everything......

I doubt you will see any difference in image quality between the 2 bodies, the things the Mk3 does excell at are very fast AF, dual digic 3 processors to aid the 10FPS, weather sealing, general build ie built in battery grip etc etc the actual images wont be any better than a 40D they will be different though, 1.3 crop versus 1.6 crop of the 40

Well there's no easy answer then, other than you'd probably be best served by a 1.3 crop sensor body and a 1.6X crop body.

Have a read of this thread....

CLICKY

It's a comparison of the 20D and the 1DMK2n which have the same number of pixels, and which both put out the same identical 1:1 file size.

The situation will be proportionally identical to the 40D and 1DMK3 which both put out the same size file with the same pixel count, although it's a bigger file.

The short answer is you'll maximise the reach of your lenses for wildlife and macro with the 1.6 crop sensor, but the larger sensor is better for maximising the field of view of your wider lenses where its an obvious advantage for example for landscape.

The 1DMK3 does have twin Digic 3 processors, whereas the 40D has one, so I suspect you would see a difference, and obviously it has huge advantages for action photogtraphy with it's 45 point AF system -not to mention weather sealing as Ian said.

I've just sold a 1DMK2n in favour of a 40D as the smaller sensor is better for my wildlife photography. The ideal camera for me would be a 1D with a 1.6 crop sensor, but Canon don't look like making one any time soon. :puke:

I personally have a 40D for the wildlife stuff and a 1Ds mk3 for the wide angle, for me a perfect combination as all the software is compatible, cameras very similar from the point of view of handling ie knobs and twiddly things.....!! and I wouldn't change the 40D for a 1.3 sensor, why not get a 2nd hand 5d OR 1 Ds?..then you have a backup.

Sorry I should search, are the batteries the same on the 2 bodies ?

I am looking to buy a 1dMk111 this week as my motorbike is sold :) one thing I am looking forward to is the 'built in' battery grip of the 1d as when I have the 70-200 2.8 is on the 4od with grip it feels like it is going to snap off !

And the 1D ones are expensive, no 7 day shop yet..

Your image quality at this level depends more on the choice of lens I suspect rather than the camera. The 40D is a cracking camera and in some ways a little more discrete than a 1 but as others have said if you favour longer lenses you will welcome the 1.6x crop. If landscapes are your bag then grab one or even a 5D and a nice L lens and you're away. Unless you really need the weather sealing of course.

thanks for all the input folks. i'm still torn as to what to do, but i suspect i'll be jumping ship to a 1D shortly.....

Back