Beginner Upgrade from Nikon D3300 with 50mm F1.8G

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening folks!
First time post on a photography forum, so go easy! hah...
I've had a Nikon 3300 for about a year now, and bought a 50mm F1.8G pretty much straight away. Have been getting some good shots, but now want to upgrade....

Looking at the Nikon D850 with the 24-120mm F4 VR kit. I've done some reading and this seems like a decent upgrade to go for, with the lens getting some pretty good reviews.

Will the 50mm 1.8G give some decent results on this body? I suspect so as it's going to be a full frame body, but maybe upgrade to an 85mm in the future?

I know this kit is a massive price hike over what I've bought previously, but I bought the 3300 to see if I was "into" it. Although I could go for the 810, I'm thinking of future proofing my purchase and think the 850 will last me a lot longer without having to upgrade again.

Also, is around the £2.9k mark a good price (new) for these 2 items (eBay)?

CheeRS :)

Nothing wrong with your plan and yes most modern lenses will be fine on a d850. Don't worry too much about, will this lens be ok on that body and that kind of thing.

But a word of warning, many people before you have done a similar thing and nothing was future proof at all because they got a deadly disease called GAS or gear acquisition syndrome. Nasty thing to happen lol

I know it well. Especially in the car power industry!
I’ll leave it at 300bhp, more than happy with that.
It takes about 2 weeks until you think it’s slow or ‘something is wrong’.
Thanks for your reply

What do you think the D850 will do for your photography?

Best prices I have found are here both come with 3 year warrenty:)

Excellent site, thanks so much for sharing

What do you think the D850 will do for your photography?

Better photos with better light, allow me to do large prints should I wish, and the high MP will allow me to crop pretty ruthlessly without losing much definition.

I could get the D810, but the D850 is not much more and seems a lot better camera, plus it does future proof me better.

What genres do you photograph?

I don’t get what you mean by future proofing. The D850 is currently the latest model but in a couple of years it will be replaced and then won’t be the latest and greatest. Lens are much better at ‘future proofing’, their production life span is much greater than camera bodies and a lens is an investment that can usually see out several cameras.

I worked out a while back new bodies don’t really add anything to getting better photos. In some instances they can help because of better ISO performance but it really depends if you are going to use those advantages in what you shoot. To be honest there hasn’t been a bad camera over the last 3-5 years. The technology in most cameras way out shines most users (ie the user is the bottle neck not the camera- I know I’m one of them!!).

I wouldn’t discount the D810 or even the D750. Both are very good and capable cameras. To put it into context the price from Panamoz above for the D850 & 24-120 f4 is £2770. In the classifieds on here you could get a used D810 or D750 with 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 VR2 for the around the same amount going by recent sales (not saying you should get these but it’s an example of what older used kit you could get for the same price.). Used kit in the TP classifieds can be very good, usually described very well and because of GAS it’s usually in very good condition too (sometimes it nearly new!).

I’m not getting into the debate (or turning the thread into one) but if you don’t know what grey imports or who Panamoz are there are plenty of threads on it if if you use the forum search. I don’t have an opinion either way and feel everyone scan do what they want but it should be an informed choice. Panamoz have given good service to quite a few on here so credit where it’s due :)

Last edited:
What genres do you photograph?

I don’t get what you mean by future proofing. The D850 is currently the latest model but in a couple of years it will be replaced and then won’t be the latest and greatest. Lens are much better at ‘future proofing’, their production life span is much greater than camera bodies and a lens is an investment that can usually see out several cameras.

I worked out a while back new bodies don’t really add anything to getting better photos. In some instances they can help because of better ISO performance but it really depends if you are going to use those advantages in what you shoot. To be honest there hasn’t been a bad camera over the last 3-5 years. The technology in most cameras way out shines most users (ie the user is the bottle neck not the camera- I know I’m one of them!!).

I wouldn’t discount the D810 or even the D750. Both are very good and capable cameras. To put it into context the price from Panamoz above for the D850 & 24-120 f4 is £2770. In the classifieds on here you could get a used D810 or D750 with 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 VR2 for the around the same amount going by recent sales (not saying you should get these but it’s an example of what older used kit you could get for the same price.). Used kit in the TP classifieds can be very good, usually described very well and because of GAS it’s usually in very good condition too (sometimes it nearly new!).

I’m not getting into the debate (or turning the thread into one) but if you don’t know what grey imports or who Panamoz are there are plenty of threads on it if if you use the forum search. I don’t have an opinion either way and feel everyone scan do what they want but it should be an informed choice. Panamoz have given good service to quite a few on here so credit where it’s due :)

I said future proof me better.
If I buy a D810, when the new model comes out (whenever that is) it will be 2 models behind as opposed to one if I buy the D850.
I have watched some comparison videos with regards to the D810 and D850, and it will offer me more features that I will probably use (4K video being one).

No point mentioning what I photograph at the moment, as I don’t have the kit to do much more than portrait.

I don’t mind buying new lenses if and when I need them, also I don’t mind paying the premium on brand new kit over 2nd hand as I then 100% know how it’s been used.

Thanks for all the replies

Strange that I bought a D3300 a year ago, spent the last few months agonising over which way to go as far as upgrading is concerned, then along come a couple of people with the same camera in the same boat ... :)

I've just traded in my Nikon gear for an Olympus EM1 Mk2 + PRO lens kit for £3.2k, because for me as far as future proofing is concerned it wasn't about the kit as such, it was about being sure I was on the right path, and when I started thinking about upgrading from this Nikon to that Nikon I realised I wanted to get off the Nikon train entirely, or more specifically the DSLR train, because the one thing going down the Nikon (or Canon DLSR for that matter) upgrade path is it almost certainly entails adding bulk and weight to your kit, and for me that was an issue.

Before I drop £3k on a D850 I'd want to be absolutely sure I wanted a top-end Full-Frame DLSR in the first place, not whether this FF DLSR is better than that FF DLSR. If you're already sure you do, fine, I'll back out quietly and wish you luck. :)

Strange that I bought a D3300 a year ago, spent the last few months agonising over which way to go as far as upgrading is concerned, then along come a couple of people with the same camera in the same boat ... :)

I've just traded in my Nikon gear for an Olympus EM1 Mk2 + PRO lens kit for £3.2k, because for me as far as future proofing is concerned it wasn't about the kit as such, it was about being sure I was on the right path, and when I started thinking about upgrading from this Nikon to that Nikon I realised I wanted to get off the Nikon train entirely, or more specifically the DSLR train, because the one thing going down the Nikon (or Canon DLSR for that matter) upgrade path is it almost certainly entails adding bulk and weight to your kit, and for me that was an issue.

Before I drop £3k on a D850 I'd want to be absolutely sure I wanted a top-end Full-Frame DLSR in the first place, not whether this FF DLSR is better than that FF DLSR. If you're already sure you do, fine, I'll back out quietly and wish you luck. :)

Come to think about it, trying a mirrorless now would be a good plan. It is becoming a familiar tale now to have someone ditch pro dslr gear for mirrorless after the honeymoon period is over.

I pulled the trigger on the D850 and 24-120 kit a few hours ago from Panamoz.

Will see how I get on with it!

Excited :)

Will definitely look at mirrorless though for my next upgrade however many years it is down the line.

Enjoy the camera :)

I don’t mind buying new lenses if and when I need them, also I don’t mind paying the premium on brand new kit over 2nd hand as I then 100% know how it’s been used.
Don’t discount second hand kit. If you buy from places like TP classifieds gear is often excellent or nearly new condition having been lightly used by other amateurs and usually has a full known history too. Camera gear is so expensive many amateurs mother their gear so lots of kit isn’t abused and often sold on just try something different. Plenty of bargains to be had if you buy right. Most are happy for kit to be collected and tested before purchasing if they are close by.

Don’t discount second hand kit. If you buy from places like TP classifieds gear is often excellent or nearly new condition having been lightly used by other amateurs and usually has a full known history too. Camera gear is so expensive many amateurs mother their gear so lots of kit isn’t abused and often sold on just try something different. Plenty of bargains to be had if you buy right. Most are happy for kit to be collected and tested before purchasing if they are close by.

True, I had a 70-200 vr2 that is literally like brand new for half the price of a shop. Just could not get lenses like that new

Will definitely look at mirrorless though for my next upgrade however many years it is down the line.

I hope you enjoy your new kit :)
it will take a bit of mastering so please don’t be disappointed at any first results as using these high megapixel cameras does require another type of technique (y) even though the new lens has VR I would invest in a good solid tripod and a remote release :)(y)
I shell look forward to seeing your progress.

Last edited:
Wow, this thing is HEAVY when coupled with the 24-120. Around 1.7KG compared to the 640g of the 3300+50mm 1.8G. Can tell its a great made bit of kit however.
I had my tripod turn up as well, got a cheap Manfrotto for now and it's pretty solid. Was playing with that last night as well.
I have managed to set it up similarly to the (familiar) D3300 so now I can experiment more with the extra features it offers.
Haven't tried the 50mm 1.8G on it yet, but from reading about it, it's a good 2nd lens to have as well as the 24-120, so will see how that goes.

Back