Beginner upgrade - lens or camera?

bbk

Edit My Images
No
Currently I've Nikon D7k with Sigma 18-50mm DC 1:2.8. Most of my pics are of full/half portraits and fair amount indoors. Used to have Nikon VR 70-200mm but sold it as never found the need for zoom lens. Budget is £500-600 so dipping in used market with yester years technology ie Nikon D600, D700, Sony A7 or canon 5D. Lens are either Sigma 18-35mm 1:1.8 or Nikon 17-35 1:2.8. Not sure what would be the best route going forward. Most of my prints are of usual 6x4 size and only few were of bigger but not planning to print billboard size anytime soon :p. 95% of the time pics viewing platforms are in monitor, tv or phone.

Sigma is a cheap lens and most times comes out very soft plus with poor focus. I know that I need to learn & practice more skills in photo taking but sometimes the pics are poorer than olympus xz2 (sold it, Sony RX100 MKI on the way).

If you're shooting indoors and mainly portraits, a fast prime might be a good upgrade. Given yours is a crop sensor, something like a Sigma 85mm f/1.4 or Nikon 85mm f/1.8 are I think worth considering.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbk
Get a really good 35 / 50 / 85 prime collection instead of a body.

Thanks. Not sure of 85mm as could be too tight for indoors? On sigma, I hardly zoomed to 50. I think either 35mm or 50mm will suits me better but not sure if to go with Sigma "ART" series or save some cash with Nikon D or G. BTW I've a offer pending for Sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM A for £400.

Thanks. Not sure of 85mm as could be too tight for indoors? On sigma, I hardly zoomed to 50. I think either 35mm or 50mm will suits me better but not sure if to go with Sigma "ART" series or save some cash with Nikon D or G. BTW I've a offer pending for Sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM A for £400.
Yes 85mm can be tight I guess, depending on what you want. And as you're already considering 35mm or 50mm, seems to me you're already on the right track. Good luck. Don't forget to check out the classifieds here.

You don't 'need' a new camera.
So, what 'need' do you have for a lens?

Whilst there's nothing wrong with buying gear for the sake of it, what do you want to shoot?

As per OP, I currently have Sigma 17-50mm 1:2.8 EX D which I find very soft and few times out of focus. I even sent D7K to Nikon service centre for focus alignment as there were report of issues when first released. Mostly I'm only in full body family portraits. Never managed to get pics as sharp as some of the ones posted on these forums :( and had so many disappointments even on nice sunny day with auto mode.

I've never been a gear freak or particularly fussy, but the Sigma 17-50 is the only lens I ever returned.

For full body portraits though I'd go longer than 50, I love the 35mm 1.4 (FF) but it's selectively used,

What aperture do you generally use on the lens? It may be that certain parts of the aperture range or the focal range may be softer than others.

3.5 - 6.3 but at times no option than to use 2.8. For head shots when really close to subject, no problem with the focus or sharpness.

For full body portraits though I'd go longer than 50, I love the 35mm 1.4 (FF) but it's selectively used,

Ordered a year old nikon 50mm 1.8D from bay market for £90. Will try to learn more with this lens and won't be a big loss when time to move. Also will give me an idea if need longer lens.

Back