'Upgrade' to full frame? And which camera?

Thanks both.

I won’t buy grey as personally I’m
not comfortable with it, not within my values. Was just wondering if there was any legitimate way they could be offering the price. The one I saw on eBay was an A7iii + 24-70 for £1440 new - must be grey.

I’ve seen that used immaculate ones without a lens are going for £1330ish so I thought the ‘new’ ones at that price were suspicious

Hoping Sony do another summer cashback period this year but there aren’t even any rumours of one searching on Google News [emoji853]
I’d be very suspicious of that even if you were happy to buy grey. E-infinity is usually one of the cheapest grey importers and they have the A7iii and 28-70mm for £1419, and the 24-70mm is around £300 or so more than the 28-70mm.

Thanks both.

I won’t buy grey as personally I’m
not comfortable with it, not within my values. Was just wondering if there was any legitimate way they could be offering the price. The one I saw on eBay was an A7iii + 24-70 for £1440 new - must be grey.

I’ve seen that used immaculate ones without a lens are going for £1330ish so I thought the ‘new’ ones at that price were suspicious

Hoping Sony do another summer cashback period this year but there aren’t even any rumours of one searching on Google News [emoji853]

as said above grey is grey, I don't think anyone can legitimise that.
A "legit" way of getting similar prices would be to buy used gear (which is my preferred way). You can sometimes find good offers for used gear from shops who offer 6months-1year warranty on their used items.
LCE in my experience are absolutely fantastic with warranty claims on used good. The other shops are probably good too but I have never had to use them.

Hi everyone,

So I'm ALMOST ready to take a decision, thought I'd ask for your views one more time. Then I'm ready to take the plunge, I promise :LOL: I waited to see if the Sony summer cash back offer would return and it has.

As per my previous post and having reviewed my budget and personal situation again, I need to get as much as I can for the £2k budget rather than spend further several £ks on lenses in the coming months/few years on top…i.e. for £2k I want body + decent zoom + prime. Tripod I can get outside of the £2k, telephoto in later months/years.

A few of you have recommended stretching to the A7iii, but I can't make it work within my budget overall and what might be coming in the next couple of years. With that in mind, I have to compromise on body or lens I think it's the body that I'm more willing to budge on. I'd rather be able to afford premium lenses like the 24-105 i.e. surely A7ii/A7Rii + 24-105 is a 'better' setup than an A7iii with 28-70?

The Tamron 28-75 looks great but I think I'd prefer extra reach of the 24-105 vs. f2.8 particularly as I won't have a telephoto lens. I've been looking at photos online taken with the 24-105 and they look stunning.

I feel an A7ii/A7Rii will still be a huge ‘upgrade’ for me - will give me so much extra versatility, image quality, allow me to play in the world of FF and all with very good lenses within my budget. If the finances permit in a few years I could go to the A7iii then.

Interestingly none of you recommended the A6400/6500/6600 as an alternative to FF - is this because most of you would go for the Fuji XT-3 for crop? For the A6xxx range:

Pros:
- Dynamic range - much improved vs. my 500D and Sony still impressive in the crop world. Conclusion - probably meets my needs
- Portability - comparing equivalent kit I would save 0.5-1.0kg - makes no difference to me personally
- Price benefit - crop & mid-range lenses much cheaper. For FF I can't see an alternative (cheaper) telephoto and the 70-300 is £1,100....
- 'Reach' - however, only 10% of my photos have been taken on my 70-300 lens, the rest have been on the 17-50mm range, so I'm not sure this will bother me much at all.

Cons:
- Better low light performance on FF - unsure of whether I will really take advantage of this or not, but like the idea of the capabilities this gives me, such as street photography at nighttime.
- DoF not as sexy as FF
- Ergonomics don't even look good (if that can be said) - much prefer the looks of the size and grip of the A7 series

All comments welcome :giggle:

Also some replies below...

The A7RII is vastly better in terms of IQ, AF, EVF.

If possible stretch for an used A7III IMO. It's ergonomics and battery is vastly improved. It's definitely worth that little extra over A7RII.

Ok thanks - why is it worth the extra though? I can't stretch to it but keen to understand why.

I wouldn't bother with the A7ii. You'd be better off with the A7iii and kit lens than the ii with the f/2.8 Tamron imo especially if you aren't shooting a big apertures.

Why? I always assumed that you get much more out of a cheaper body and premium/high quality lens than a nicer body and kit lens, so I struggle to see how this can be the case from a principle point of view

Hi everyone,

So I'm ALMOST ready to take a decision, thought I'd ask for your views one more time. Then I'm ready to take the plunge, I promise :LOL: I waited to see if the Sony summer cash back offer would return and it has.

As per my previous post and having reviewed my budget and personal situation again, I need to get as much as I can for the £2k budget rather than spend further several £ks on lenses in the coming months/few years on top…i.e. for £2k I want body + decent zoom + prime. Tripod I can get outside of the £2k, telephoto in later months/years.

A few of you have recommended stretching to the A7iii, but I can't make it work within my budget overall and what might be coming in the next couple of years. With that in mind, I have to compromise on body or lens I think it's the body that I'm more willing to budge on. I'd rather be able to afford premium lenses like the 24-105 i.e. surely A7ii/A7Rii + 24-105 is a 'better' setup than an A7iii with 28-70?

The Tamron 28-75 looks great but I think I'd prefer extra reach of the 24-105 vs. f2.8 particularly as I won't have a telephoto lens. I've been looking at photos online taken with the 24-105 and they look stunning.

I feel an A7ii/A7Rii will still be a huge ‘upgrade’ for me - will give me so much extra versatility, image quality, allow me to play in the world of FF and all with very good lenses within my budget. If the finances permit in a few years I could go to the A7iii then.

Interestingly none of you recommended the A6400/6500/6600 as an alternative to FF - is this because most of you would go for the Fuji XT-3 for crop? For the A6xxx range:

Pros:
- Dynamic range - much improved vs. my 500D and Sony still impressive in the crop world. Conclusion - probably meets my needs
- Portability - comparing equivalent kit I would save 0.5-1.0kg - makes no difference to me personally
- Price benefit - crop & mid-range lenses much cheaper. For FF I can't see an alternative (cheaper) telephoto and the 70-300 is £1,100....
- 'Reach' - however, only 10% of my photos have been taken on my 70-300 lens, the rest have been on the 17-50mm range, so I'm not sure this will bother me much at all.

Cons:
- Better low light performance on FF - unsure of whether I will really take advantage of this or not, but like the idea of the capabilities this gives me, such as street photography at nighttime.
- DoF not as sexy as FF
- Ergonomics don't even look good (if that can be said) - much prefer the looks of the size and grip of the A7 series

Ok thanks - why is it worth the extra though? I can't stretch to it but keen to understand why.

Why? I always assumed that you get much more out of a cheaper body and premium/high quality lens than a nicer body and kit lens, so I struggle to see how this can be the case from a principle point of view
I am happy with my A7ii and 24-105mm. Also happy with my 85 f1.8.
I also have a 200-600mm which I wouldn't have been able to get if I'd gone for an A7iii.
Battery life isn't as good on the A7ii but I've got 3 batteries and a powerbank, so not an issue.
I prefer The A7ii over my previous Nikon D7000 and Panasonic G80. I like the size and feel. I get better dr and can crop more.
The only thing I think I would need an A7iii for is the much better af, but I can live with the A7ii af quite easily for now. It does hunt a bit sometimes but I can live with that
I don't shoot fast sports or birds in flight at the moment but may in the future.
I'll likely get a used A7iii in the future and sell my A7ii, but I'm in no rush.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Pros:

Cons:
- DoF not as sexy as FF

The Sony a6xxx cameras are great but if we recommended all the good cameras out there we’d be here all day ;)

In terms of the final image the A7iii won’t be much different (although the colour science is better imo) but in terms of user experience it will be better, snappier menus etc, better AF, better ergonomics. Enjoying using the camera is extremely important imo and is an area that should not be overlooked.

Out of the A7ii and A7Rii it would be the Rii for me all day long.

If it was me I’d be buying a like new used A7iii for around £1470, like new used 24-70mm f4 for around £430 and like new used Sony 50mm f1.8 for around £145, taking you around £45-50 over budget. Don’t underestimate the 28-70mm though, it’s optically very good considering. You could of course go for “excellent” as opposed to “like new” and be within budget.

If you‘re dead set on the 24-105mm then you’re pretty much limited to the A7ii & A7Rii and I’ve already said which I’d get (y)

If you‘re dead set on the 24-105mm then you’re pretty much limited to the A7ii & A7Rii and I’ve already said which I’d get
What you're saying is probably best in the long run, but if you've never used an a7rii or a7iii you won't know what's different in terms of ergonomics etc, but if you've had an A7/A7ii then upgraded to A7iii/riv then you would know how much better it is, if that makes sense.
I thought my 28-70 was great until I got the 24-105 :)

Last edited:
What you're saying is probably best in the long run, but if you've never used an a7rii or a7iii you won't know what's different in terms of ergonomics etc, but if you've had an A7/A7ii then upgraded to A7iii/riv then you would know how much better it is, if that makes sense. :)
Definitely makes sense. And this is why it’s so important to get hands on with them before deciding. I was dead set on Sony twice in the past but the ergonomics didn’t suit me.

Definitely makes sense. And this is why it’s so important to get hands on with them before deciding. I was dead set on Sony twice in the past but the ergonomics didn’t suit me.
What's the difference with the ergonomics?
I don't have any issues with the A7ii, but haven't held an A7iii.
I do know what you mean though, I had a Panasonic G3 years ago and liked it, but ended up selling it as it was a bit too small, and I kept inadvertently pressing buttons etc. The G80 bought a few years later was just a bit bigger, but made all the difference and I only sold it to go FF with the Sony

Why not the A7ii? Because it's not worth the upgrade over the A7 imo whereas if you DO want a better body than the original A7, the A7iii is where to go. Again, imo.

You will get more out of a cheaper body & better lenses if you don't need what the newer bodies offer. Hence I still shoot with an A7.

The Sony a6xxx cameras are great but if we recommended all the good cameras out there we’d be here all day ;)

In terms of the final image the A7iii won’t be much different (although the colour science is better imo) but in terms of user experience it will be better, snappier menus etc, better AF, better ergonomics. Enjoying using the camera is extremely important imo and is an area that should not be overlooked.

Out of the A7ii and A7Rii it would be the Rii for me all day long.

If it was me I’d be buying a like new used A7iii for around £1470, like new used 24-70mm f4 for around £430 and like new used Sony 50mm f1.8 for around £145, taking you around £45-50 over budget. Don’t underestimate the 28-70mm though, it’s optically very good considering. You could of course go for “excellent” as opposed to “like new” and be within budget.

If you‘re dead set on the 24-105mm then you’re pretty much limited to the A7ii & A7Rii and I’ve already said which I’d get (y)

@Will James The above is spot on advice. I see Wex are doing a brand new A7r2 body for £1199 if you don’t want to go to the expense of the A7iii. I have an a7ii which I got last year on an amazon prime special for £1039 and then worked out £709 after Sony cash back and a discount cause amazon messed up. It’s a good camera, the battery life is poor though. I have three batteries and it can go through them in a day of shooting. The A7rii is the one to go for at £1199 out of the cheaper mk2 options unless you pick up a real cheap used a7ii but if you can, go for the a7iii As the eye/animal AF is excellent and it has quite a lot more autofocus points, bigger buffer etc...

I hope this helps.

If you read all the reviews you can go dizzy with all the brand tribalism and inconsistency. Cameras that were panned a year ago are now must-haves, conversely many online reviews would have you think that no printable photographs can ever been taken because the Best Camera In The World 2 years ago is now a paperweight which is good only for social media (Yes Tony Northrup I'm talking about you). What does come across is that almost all cameras and lenses from the major manufacturers these days are awesome.

I'll second the advice of trying it for size. When I went full frame it was a choice between the new-out Nikon D810, a Canon 6D or 5D3. I'd been a Nikon shooter for about 30 years but was leaning to Canon purely for their tilt-shifts. I tried all 3 cameras in Calumet and what swung it was the handling of the 5D3, it just felt better in the hand.

Yes Tony Northrup I'm talking about you

Ooh no I don't like them. Too smug, good looking and slimy. And completely unobjective. Fro can be annoying, but he is at least fairer in his analysis. I've warmed to him more tbh; he did a thing about visiting Auschwitz, which made me see him in a totally new light. Ken (Rockwell) is just Ken; he does at least produce some decent comprehensive data charts, that can be used for comparisons. Kai Wong I don't get really, he can be quite interesting, but then really boring, all in the same video clip. He just strikes me as a privileged lad who gets to travel about and play with expensive toys, then waffles about them a bit. Ken Wheeler is.. well, I don't know what to say really. Not someone who's advice I'd ever take seriously. He did a 'shoot off' video with some other YT bod, and he really didn't display any real photographic talent, imo. I think he needs to work on his frustrations, whatever they are. Doesn't seem very healthy. Then there are all the ones whose names I forget cos they just do their thing and don't make a fuss, but are actually a lot more 'useful' in terms of getting some proper experienced opinions and objectivity. Content over style.

I can't watch Matt Grainger. I know it's not his fault, but his voice I find worse than nails down a blackboard, it grates too much and I have to turn it off. Shame, it might be interesting. Seems to use young women in an exploitative manner as well. Creepy. Why do so many men think it's still acceptable to exploit young women? It's 2020 ffs...

Ooh no I don't like them. Too smug, good looking and slimy. And completely unobjective. Fro can be annoying, but he is at least fairer in his analysis. I've warmed to him more tbh; he did a thing about visiting Auschwitz, which made me see him in a totally new light. Ken (Rockwell) is just Ken; he does at least produce some decent comprehensive data charts, that can be used for comparisons. Kai Wong I don't get really, he can be quite interesting, but then really boring, all in the same video clip. He just strikes me as a privileged lad who gets to travel about and play with expensive toys, then waffles about them a bit. Ken Wheeler is.. well, I don't know what to say really. Not someone who's advice I'd ever take seriously. He did a 'shoot off' video with some other YT bod, and he really didn't display any real photographic talent, imo. I think he needs to work on his frustrations, whatever they are. Doesn't seem very healthy. Then there are all the ones whose names I forget cos they just do their thing and don't make a fuss, but are actually a lot more 'useful' in terms of getting some proper experienced opinions and objectivity. Content over style.

I can't watch Matt Grainger. I know it's not his fault, but his voice I find worse than nails down a blackboard, it grates too much and I have to turn it off. Shame, it might be interesting. Seems to use young women in an exploitative manner as well. Creepy. Why do so many men think it's still acceptable to exploit young women? It's 2020 ffs...

I think its worth remembering that a lot of YouTubers doing Camera reviews are like TopGear (the real top gear) doing car reviews, you wouldn't buy a car based off their advice but they provide entertainment and a laugh with that Car or in this case; Camera you may want to buy. It's the same with the YouTubers showing you how to take Portraits with the professional model they have hired, the Camera costing £xxxx, the Lenses costing further thousands and not to forget the multi light setups in some cases. I would suggest if you have went to that expense, in many cases you already know what you are doing! PS Don't forget to buy their $699 preset on sale for only $99 this week lol

I guess YouTubers like the ones mentioned here are not really photographers any more and more presenters or commentators.

Top gear is/was funny. Most camera reviews aren't. The last one that remotely came close was digitalrev TV when Kai was on it.

Top gear is/was funny

I only ever found it embarrassing. A vehicle for Clarkson's ego. Anyway, it's gone now so all's good.

I guess YouTubers like the ones mentioned here are not really photographers any more and more presenters or commentators.

Yeah; on one hand, I welcome the democratisation of broadcasting, but on the other hand, it's just a bit depressing that we seem to get the equivalent of fast food, rather than proper decent cuisine. There's loads of good stuff if you look for it though. You don't have to only eat in McDonalds.

I only ever found it embarrassing. A vehicle for Clarkson's ego. Anyway, it's gone now so all's good.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

May be was the case, but it was entertaining enough to watch every so often when I came across it on TV.

Top gear, and even more TGT, were progams about entertainment that happened to include cars - and a lot of fun the original formula was too. I suspect many YT posters are desperate to find 'the answer' that will bring fame and fortune to their door, therefore objectivity is not the primary reason for the reviews.

@Will James I would definitely look for a good used (it's what I DID do) A7III and 24-105 to stay within budget. A key reason for me to change from D610 to A7 was the eye-AF, so I wasn't happy to compromise on that, plus the image stabilisation is quite effective and double battery capacity all make things much better.

Top gear is/was funny. Most camera reviews aren't. The last one that remotely came close was digitalrev TV when Kai was on it.

I meant more in that Top Gear was entertainment as opposed to serious car review. For a serious camera or technical overview Mark Galer would give a detailed presentation that lasts 1hr 30 minutes explaining each feature/method where Jared does the wind and sniff tests (amongst other tests to be fair) which are obviously for comedic value or indeed how Kai from Digital Rev (at the time) done his reviews. I actually bought my A77 from Digital Rev way back after watching Kai review it.

Old Top Gear was fantastic and many eps are very re-watchable, don't think I've ever watched anything else on DaveHD lol!

Yeah; on one hand, I welcome the democratisation of broadcasting, but on the other hand, it's just a bit depressing that we seem to get the equivalent of fast food, rather than proper decent cuisine. There's loads of good stuff if you look for it though. You don't have to only eat in McDonalds.

To be fair they are aiming for a different market and there is only so many ways you can review a camera and if you hire the pretty model you will get a lot of views. I think reality TV is toilet and shows like Love Island, BB, Jungle Crap are a waste of a good primetime slot but it actually makes me appreciate the good content more.

What's the difference with the ergonomics?
I don't have any issues with the A7ii, but haven't held an A7iii.
I do know what you mean though, I had a Panasonic G3 years ago and liked it, but ended up selling it as it was a bit too small, and I kept inadvertently pressing buttons etc. The G80 bought a few years later was just a bit bigger, but made all the difference and I only sold it to go FF with the Sony
Sorry I think I missed this. Mainly it’s the grip, they’ve made it larger. The series 4 (and A9-II) are the only Sony mirrorless I can fit my fingers comfortably between the grip and lens.

Back