'Upgrade' to full frame? And which camera?

I think we can agree to disagree and move on. (y)
You don't even try to provide anything to support that assertion?
If it's the claimed wormeffect it's nonexistent in C1
And should not be seen in lightroom anymore either.
And I can't think of anything different processing wise between my A6000 and my X series cameras. Input is a bit different but they respond to the process the same way.
If it's the program that's really a case of learning your tools no matter what they are. Getting used to something and working with it regularly maybe make people forget how hard it is to learn from knowing nothing. Leaving old habits behind is even more difficult.

If going that way surely the Hassleblad X1D needs looking at. It looks lovely.

I initially thought the A7 looked like it'd been made in a garden shed but it's grown on me.

I did actually mean that the X1D looks good as a package and a proposition although I do think it looks good too.

I initially thought the A7 looked like it'd been made in a garden shed but it's grown on me.

I did actually mean that the X1D looks good as a package and a proposition although I do think it looks good too.

Definitely, Id love one of them, along with all those bargain lenses. :love:

Fuji lenses aren't cheap either tbh lol.
Tbh if I am going to be spending that much on camera gear think I'd wait for R5 and blow it on that 28-70mm/2+85mm/1.2

You don't even try to provide anything to support that assertion?
If it's the claimed wormeffect it's nonexistent in C1
And should not be seen in lightroom anymore either.
And I can't think of anything different processing wise between my A6000 and my X series cameras. Input is a bit different but they respond to the process the same way.
If it's the program that's really a case of learning your tools no matter what they are. Getting used to something and working with it regularly maybe make people forget how hard it is to learn from knowing nothing. Leaving old habits behind is even more difficult.

Did you try support your statements? Its well known fuji files can be a pain and C1 is better than LR but still not perfect. I like Fuji and its the best APSC system but I prefer a Bayer sensor.

I find learning new software very easy, more importantly though why would I ever move away from 10 years worth of processed files, thousands of hours of processing time and a nearly perfect workflow efficiency to something that I dont feel is as good?

Actually, nvm, its not the thread to discuss this.

Last edited:
Fuji lenses aren't cheap either tbh lol.
Tbh if I am going to be spending that much on camera gear think I'd wait for R5 and blow it on that 28-70mm/2+85mm/1.2

Big glass = big money.

Dont forget the 50 1.2 RF!

My biggest issue with adapted lenses is throwing the weight forward, I found this particularly noticeable with the 70-200mm f2.8. Canon's adapter is not as wide so won't me 'as much' of an issue.

I haven't found that at all with the FTZ. The only issue I have with it is the lump for the tripod mount. But I have no problems with the weight or handling. If you thik of it as part of the camera, rather than the lens, then praps that changes things. ;)

The other issue with the Nikon FTZ adapter is that VR is working constantly with VR lenses whether you're half pressing the shutter or not. I contacted Nikon about it and at the time they said they had no solution.

Yes that's weird. I had to go and have a play, see what you were talking about. Not summat I've noticed before. Perhaps something that could be fixed in a FW update. I can only imagine it would really be a problem for battery life really. Those motors would be pretty durable.

So you guys using adapted lenses on the Z6 is it mainly due to cost savings ? From what i've read and samples i've seen the Z glass is brilliant.

How do you define expensive ? If they are better optically than the older glass and maybe lighter then I would class that as fair value for money.

So you guys using adapted lenses on the Z6 is it mainly due to cost savings ? From what i've read and samples i've seen the Z glass is brilliant.

How do you define expensive ? If they are better optically than the older glass and maybe lighter then I would class that as fair value for money.
Expense and value for money are two different things ;)

I'm mainly using adapted lenses cos there simply aren't many 'native' ones for the Z mount yet, and I have a collection of F-mount lenses already. The AF-S ones perform perfectly. The older mechanical AF ones are MF only, but perform just as well otherwise. The even older MF ones perform well, but you don't get the exposure indication needle thingy. But you can see how the exposure is in the viewfinder anyway. In practice I've had no issues though really.

'Expensive'. Hmm. Well the 50mm f1.8 is currently over £500 normal retail, which is very expensive if compared to the 50mm F1.8G F-mount version, which is under £200, or the f1.4 version, which is under £400. The Z mount lens blows the other two away (I found the f1.4 version to be the weakest). Much sharper, less distortion, less Chromatic Aberration. I think the Sony equivalent is the Zeiss 55mm f1.8, which is even more expensive, so the Nikkor looks quite good value to that, by comparison. Quality costs.

Definitely not lighter. Bigger and heavier, but less plasticky. The Z 50mm feels good quality. It seems to perform well compared to the Sony Zeiss 55mm, yet is quite a bit cheaper. So, perhaps it's better 'value'. I dunno. But it's a class above the 'normal' 50mm lenses, as the Sony Zeiss lens is to the 'normal' FE 50mm f1.8.

I paid £349 for my Z mount 50, and it is worth every penny.

I'm mainly using adapted lenses cos there simply aren't many 'native' ones for the Z mount yet, and I have a collection of F-mount lenses already. The AF-S ones perform perfectly. The older mechanical AF ones are MF only, but perform just as well otherwise. The even older MF ones perform well, but you don't get the exposure indication needle thingy. But you can see how the exposure is in the viewfinder anyway. In practice I've had no issues though really.

'Expensive'. Hmm. Well the 50mm f1.8 is currently over £500 normal retail, which is very expensive if compared to the 50mm F1.8G F-mount version, which is under £200, or the f1.4 version, which is under £400. The Z mount lens blows the other two away (I found the f1.4 version to be the weakest). Much sharper, less distortion, less Chromatic Aberration. I think the Sony equivalent is the Zeiss 55mm f1.8, which is even more expensive, so the Nikkor looks quite good value to that, by comparison. Quality costs.

Definitely not lighter. Bigger and heavier, but less plasticky. The Z 50mm feels good quality. It seems to perform well compared to the Sony Zeiss 55mm, yet is quite a bit cheaper. So, perhaps it's better 'value'. I dunno. But it's a class above the 'normal' 50mm lenses, as the Sony Zeiss lens is to the 'normal' FE 50mm f1.8.

I paid £349 for my Z mount 50, and it is worth every penny.
Wow why is the 50mm f1.8 Z so expensive, I paid £275 for mine?

Wow why is the 50mm f1.8 Z so expensive, I paid £275 for mine?

Where did you buy yours from though? Grey import? Mine came from John Lewis, with their full 2 year warranty and customer service back up. That was in January, in the sales. It went back up to £539 literally a couple of days later!

Where did you buy yours from though? Grey import? Mine came from John Lewis, with their full 2 year warranty and customer service back up. That was in January, in the sales. It went back up to £539 literally a couple of days later!
No it was authorised UK dealer, Grays of Westminster. Just checked it was £295 not £275.

Oakay...

Don't be fooled by the name ;) They are an authorised UK dealer selling genuine UK stock with UK warranty (y)

Don't be fooled by the name ;) They are an authorised UK dealer selling genuine UK stock with UK warranty (y)

Oh I know about Grays all right. So you bought yours s/h? Because I know that they didn't have it any lower than £349.

Oh I know about Grays all right. So you bought yours s/h? Because I know that they didn't have it any lower than £349.
Nope brand spanking new (y)

:LOL:

Scratch that. Not actually interested. It's the internet...

Last edited:
Why so defensive?

A copy of the receipt would confirm it though...

:rolleyes: You paid more, do you really believe you got the best deal? Because you didnt, they were going cheeeaaaap just like Z6 bodies were.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: You paid more, do you really believe you got the best deal in the world?

I'm just sceptical that an authorised dealer like Grays would have had it for less than the grey importers did. I had price trackers on that lens, and the lowest it went for, from a proper UK retailer, was £349, from a number of outlets, all authorised Nikon dealers. I don't even remember it going under £300 on the grey sites. Whilst we may not have price fixing, retailers selling A1 stock (as opposed to ex display/refurb/damaged) is very much frowned upon by suppliers. But a lens that normally retails at Grays for £529, selling for under £300? When absolutely nobody else was? Hmm. Forgive my skepticism, but, y'know...

But it really doesn't matter. I'm sure the OP is less than interested.

Last edited:
Why so defensive?

A copy of the receipt would confirm it though...
Not being defensive at all, but you don't seem to want to believe people for some reason and appear to come across condescending? (although I know it's the internet and appearances can be deceiving (y)) I suggest you check out pages 73 and 74 of the Z6/Z7 thread (y)

If you still don't want to believe it then that's fine. I may post a copy of my receipt, but I didn't want to go there as I'm honest as the day's long.

Last edited:
Someone else told me recently who isn't on this thread that the 50's were dirt cheap a few months ago, one of the reasons i've been holding off trying the Z system, waiting to see if they come down again on special.

I really don't see why anyone would question @twist and @snerkler they are long standing respected members, it's all getting a bit silly now.

I'm just sceptical that an authorised dealer like Grays would have had it for less than the grey importers did. I had price trackers on that lens, and the lowest it went for, from a proper UK retailer, was £349, from a number of outlets, all authorised Nikon dealers. I don't even remember it going under £300 on the grey sites. Whilst we may not have price fixing, retailers selling A1 stock (as opposed to ex display/refurb/damaged) is very much frowned upon by suppliers. But a lens that normally retails at Grays for £529, selling for under £300? When absolutely nobody else was? Hmm. Forgive my skepticism, but, y'know...

Okay, I know what Snerks paid because I saw the deal. But here you go, the last tracked best price by this UK site was £309 from Cameraworld. @snerkler is not a liar.

Nikon_50mm_f1.8_S_Z-Mount_Lens_graph.png

Today £512.001
Last 180 Days £309.0015

Someone else told me recently who isn't on this thread that the 50's were dirt cheap a few months ago, one of the reasons i've been holding off trying the Z system, waiting to see if they come down again on special.

I really don't see why anyone would question @twist and @snerkler they are long standing respected members, it's all getting a bit silly now.
Thanks, appreciate it (y)

Okay, I know what Snerks paid because I saw the deal. But here you go, the last tracked best price by this UK site was £309 from Cameraworld. [B]@snerkler is not a liar.[/B]

Nikon_50mm_f1.8_S_Z-Mount_Lens_graph.png

Today £512.001
Last 180 Days £309.0015
Thanks (y)

OK, I didn't really feel this would be necessary, but to put it to bed and get the thread back on track
Screenshot 2020-05-01 at 17.29.28.png

Thanks Pete, I dont see what anyone would gain from being dishonest about the price paid for an item.

I suggest you check out pages 73 and 74 of the Z6/Z7 thread

I did. There was mention of a discount code too, so, through a 3rd party website?

So you've produced a receipt. Fine. Well done, you got a bargain. Would love to know how you got such a deal though, seeing as Gray's prices on their own site were never under £349...

I did. There was mention of a discount code too, so, through a 3rd party website?

So you've produced a receipt. Fine. Well done, you got a bargain. Would love to know how you got such a deal though, seeing as Gray's prices on their own site were never under £349...

Well they had to be, the receipt full price is £315. The discount was £20.

Well they had to be, the receipt full price is £315. The discount was £20.

Forgive me. I never saw it that low. And I was watching prices for weeks. What was the discount code on? A 3rd part site, or Gray's own?

I'm sorry you missed out on a deal, and didn't see the lowest price they had it listed at but can we end it now please? (y)

Last edited:

Jesus christ why can't you just leave it ? You've ruined a thread well done.

By the way Cameraworld often give much better prices if you phone up, haggle then collect instore, bizarre I know as it should be cheaper online but it happens.

Can we get back to discussing the merits of FF vs APSC etc. and drop this crap now ?

Back