Beginner Upgrade

Name
gareth fox
Edit My Images
No
Hello all
Currently I use a nikon D3000 and thinking about a upgrade in body to a D90.
Could anyone give me any advice please

Thanks
Gareth

My advice would be for you to explain why you're thinking about an upgrade. What is it that you can't do (or can't do well enough) with the D300? People here will happily make recommendations and spend your money for you, but we need to have some idea of what you're hoping to achieve.

The D3000 works fine for me for what I do with it. I would like to get the d90 to make the next step up gear wise

Last edited:
What will the D90 do that your D3000 won't?

Apart from around 2MP.

I'd go for the D7000 as a worthwhile upgrade.

My advice would be for you to explain why you're thinking about an upgrade. What is it that you can't do (or can't do well enough) with the D300? People here will happily make recommendations and spend your money for you, but we need to have some idea of what you're hoping to achieve.
Well I second that! Gareth, there's no point in what you're calling an 'upgrade' if you don't know why you're doing it. Shopping for shopping's sake can be pretty pointless. You need to state why you're thinking about it - what is it that you're dissatisfied with at the moment?

TI would like to get the d90 to make the next step up gear wise
What does "the next step up" look like? More pixels? Better low-light performance? Better or faster autofocus? More frames per second? Or what?

What does "the next step up" look like? More pixels? Better low-light performance? Better or faster autofocus? More frames per second? Or what?

It can be status symbol. I was once a humble peasant in a local camera club with a cheap Sony DSLR. (The conventional wisdom back then was that Sony made cheap rubbish cameras.) The posh boys with Full Frame cameras couldn't be bothered talking to me. I quite accidentally upgraded my gear hugely. I bought a cheap second hand lens which had lost its original lens cap and somehow acquired a Zeiss lens cap. Suddenly the posh boys full frame boys started talking to me :)

I was hoping for a around better camera and along with some better lens hoping for better pictures

It can be status symbol. I was once a humble peasant in a local camera club with a cheap Sony DSLR. (The conventional wisdom back then was that Sony made cheap rubbish cameras.) The posh boys with Full Frame cameras couldn't be bothered talking to me. I quite accidentally upgraded my gear hugely. I bought a cheap second hand lens which had lost its original lens cap and somehow acquired a Zeiss lens cap. Suddenly the posh boys full frame boys started talking to me :)

I'm not really sure the point of this post.

I was hoping for a around better camera and along with some better lens hoping for better pictures
If you're hoping for better pictures, most of the time you'll see a bigger improvement from a lens upgrade than from a camera upgrade - especially since you haven't identified anything *specifically* lacking in your pictures currently.

What lenses do you have, and what do you like to shoot?

The reality is:
Spend £1000 on a new camera, you'll get a marginally improved user experience and virtually no improvement in your 'pictures'
Spend £1000 on lenses and you can open up photographic opportunities, you'll definitely get better pictures and better IQ (if you spend wisely)
Spend £1000 on photo opportunities or training, you'll get better, more interesting 'pictures' and the improvement will last for ever, but it also requires 'effort'

If you're hoping for better pictures, most of the time you'll see a bigger improvement from a lens upgrade than from a camera upgrade - especially since you haven't identified anything *specifically* lacking in your pictures currently.

What lenses do you have, and what do you like to shoot?

At the moment only the kit 18-55 lens, and a older 35mm 2.8 which only manually focuses on the d3000 body.hoping to get hold of a 55-200 or something like that.

In regards to improvements I'm looking/hoping for sharper images but mostly the reason being wanting a change in body to better quality in build and feel along with more on camera features as the d3000 being aimed as a entry level

Back