Beginner Upgrading from a Sony A5000

Name
Joshua
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I've recently taken up photography since I had a sony a5000 laying around. I'd like to upgrade but not really sure what the best place to start. I've been looking at the A6000/6300 & also a Canon EOS 250D but honestly, my knowledge is minimal.

I'm looking to spend between £300-£550. I've been taking portrait, landscape and pet photos. Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to read this. I really appreciate it

Hi,
I am new to photography too but I noticed nobody has offered their thoughts so here goes. i own the a6400 which is similar in many ways and highly recommended. Thus the a6000 I believe is a great camera. Within your budget it could well be the best option as the sonys tend to have better and faster autofocus especially on the older cameras and since you do pets that move a lot it could be a good idea although there isn't subject tracking on the a6000 like the a6300 which is at the top of your budget. What is it you think the camera is lacking? As improving lenses are likely to give you better photos over improving the camera initially and since the sony a6000 and a6300 share the same mount you could upgrade the body later.

Hi Joshua,
I'm also fairly new to photography, and I have the Canon 250D. It's a great all-round, easy to use camera with one significant limitation - Canon modified the hot shoe, so it's only compatible with genuine Canon flashes. So you'd be limited to fairly expensive Canon flashes if you want to go beyond the popup flash.
I echo Sheppy's question about what's missing with your current a5000? You don't mention if you've invested in lenses - that would be a factor if you switch to something other than Sony. Assuming your a5000 still works properly, it might be better to work with that for a while and let whatever shortcomings you may have come to the surface. Myself, my best investment beyond the 250D and the 18-55mm kit lens was a 50mm, f1.8 prime lens. If you don't have one, a decent tripod might also be a good investment - opens doors to photography in lower light.

Personally, I'd stick with mirrorless rather than going for a DSLR so maybe one of the Sony Axxxx series is the thing to go for, something with an EVF would suit me best.

Good luck choosing.

Without seeing your photos I am just guessing here. The A6000 is a decent camera, much better than my 2008 Canon which I can still take decent photos with. I would suggest getting a better lens initially if all you have is the kit lens and then go out and take photos and edit them. Post photos for feedback and improve. At that point if you want to upgrade then do so.

You might get a used bundle with a couple of decent lenses and A6400 for around £500, nothing wrong with that camera.

Back