Upgrading from Canon EOS 600d

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I've had my old Canon 600d for many years now. It's ben all over the place with me and taken a LOT of photos in it's time. It's really been a remarkable little camera and I love it to bits... but age is starting to catch up with it and it's starting to act up a bit. I've learned a lot about photography by using this camera, but now feel I am ready to step up to something a bit better. I am looking for:

• improved image quality
  • better / quicker focussing
  • more frames per second
  • a Canon (I have several Canon fit lenses)
  • new or used
I don't want to spend the earth on an upgrade and ideally don't want to spend more than £600.

I've been looking at a few older (Mark I) 7D's but understand these actually use the same sensor as the 600d. I am leaning that way but wonder if anyone else has any other suggestions / thoughts.

Many thanks for your time.

If you could stretch a bit further, then the 80D would be the one to go for, future proofing you for quite a while (24MP, 45 point AF, 7fps).
In the XXXD range though, the 760D is sub 600 notes body only. 19 point AF, 24MP, 5fps fit your criteria and are a step up from the 600D

As @LC2 really, if you're going to upgrade make it worth while and pick up the 80D. It's a more substantial improvement and previous generations either XXD or the XXXD series are really more of the same of what you've got.

Thanks all. I did have a play with an 80D a while back and I was disappointed with the results. Maybe an iffy model, maybe user error.

Thoughts on the 7D? I know it's fairly old now but it fits within my price point.

Thanks.

thank Dave, much appreciated. I'm assuming you're talking about pushing the ISO too high? With my 600d iso 800 is about the limit for anything to look half-decent, regardless of software. Assuming the 7d would perform better?

Moved from a 7D to the 80D chalk and cheese springs to mind isolated performance much better I now leave auto iso on all the time if you can go for an 80D I think with current cashbook from canon can be had for 760

Last edited:
Thanks MazdaMan. Have you had any experience getting the 80d to focus crisply? I had a crack with one (paired with my Tamron 70 300 SP USM) to take some action shots of my dog. I love the burst rate but I was disappointing by the results tbh. Maybe this was my fault? Maybe some added calibration is needed?

There's a lot of custom settings you can adjust in the 80D to suit the situation. I've used it for everything from motorsport to wildlife to ice hockey and haven't had any issues.

This was taken recently with my 80D at iso 800

Medstead - 76017 & 45379
by Tim White, on Flickr

This was the 80D and iso 12800 (with some NR, but not too much)

British Railways Standard 4 - 76017
by Tim White, on Flickr

And this is the 80D at iso 100, long exposure, no Long Exposure NR

British Railways Black 5 - 45379
by Tim White, on Flickr

This was with my 7Dmk1 at iso 100 (and a higher quality lens)

122 - 1965 E-type Semi-Lightweight
by Tim White, on Flickr

Sharpness wise, I don't see much (if anything) in it - but that could just be me.
Noise wise though, the 80D wins hands down
The 80D has far more AF points than the 7D1, more MP, a tilt & touch screen and I think roughly the same FPS.

Put it this way, I've got a 7D1 and an 80D. The 7D1 is now my 12 yr olds camera.

IMG_8480.jpg

Just looking back at some test shots I took with the 80d and my Tamron 70 - 300 SP USM. This is at 1000 fps f.8 iso 320. Admittedly it's always going to be a tough shot to get but I've nailed these plenty of times on the 600d.

IMG_8522.jpg
This one is perhaps a better example. Same lens, same 1000 fps and and 320 ISO. I too several of these and was really disappointed. Not one was anywhere near acceptably sharp. Paired with my Tamron.. my 600d performs much better. Why / how can this be the case?

This one is perhaps a better example. Same lens, same 1000 fps and and 320 ISO. I too several of these and was really disappointed. Not one was anywhere near acceptably sharp. Paired with my Tamron.. my 600d performs much better. Why / how can this be the case?
Possibly a need to do some autofocus micro adjustment to pair the lens and the body.
If all the shots are consisently front or back focused it would point to that. If they were all over the place, it would point to something else.

Possibly a need to do some autofocus micro adjustment to pair the lens and the body.
If all the shots are consisently front or back focused it would point to that. If they were all over the place, it would point to something else.

Great. How easy / hard is that micro adjustment to do? I'll have another go with it and see what I can do.

There are many different ways of checking if you need to micro adjust, and ways of doing it.
Juat stick "autofocus micro adjustment" into google and read up on a few links.

There are tools you can buy, there are free methods.

You won't be able to do it on the 600D though (I don't think any XXXD model has it but willing to be proved wrong).

There are many different ways of checking if you need to micro adjust, and ways of doing it.
Juat stick "autofocus micro adjustment" into google and read up on a few links.

There are tools you can buy, there are free methods.

You won't be able to do it on the 600D though (I don't think any XXXD model has it but willing to be proved wrong).

Nice one. I've never had to do it with my 600. Seems weird to spend a lot of money on a camera and have to spend time adjusting it so it works properly. Perhaps this is just a feature of higher end bodies.

Nice one. I've never had to do it with my 600. Seems weird to spend a lot of money on a camera and have to spend time adjusting it so it works properly. Perhaps this is just a feature of higher end bodies.
It's all about tolerances. But only the higher end cameras let you make the adjustments to counteract variations in the tolerances.

Thanks MazdaMan. Have you had any experience getting the 80d to focus crisply? I had a crack with one (paired with my Tamron 70 300 SP USM) to take some action shots of my dog. I love the burst rate but I was disappointing by the results tbh. Maybe this was my fault? Maybe some added calibration is needed?
No issues with focus on mine have recently bolted on a siggy 150-160 with teleconverter no issues on focus a bit of trade off in image sharpness as one would expect

The quality of the 600D isn't bad - indeed it's sensor was used up til quite recently! Think I've still got a 600D someplace! Anyway - is echo comments - get to grips with the )600d and looks at lens upgrade?

Thanks all. I did have a play with an 80D a while back and I was disappointed with the results. Maybe an iffy model, maybe user error.

Thoughts on the 7D? I know it's fairly old now but it fits within my price point.

Thanks.

I still mostly use a 7D1, and had a 600D as a backup until fairly recently, so having used both side by side, I think you'd be more than happy with a good used 7D1 as an upgrade if budget is a concern. They may share a sensor, but in terms of focus ability/speed. general usability and construction (I always felt like I was going to break the 600, whereas the 7 I'd be quite content using it as a blunt hitting instrument) there's a very noticable gap. I'd miss shots all the time with the 600D that I knew very well I'd have had no problems getting with the 7D.

As usual, like with most of these things, find one and try it out. :)

I still mostly use a 7D1, and had a 600D as a backup until fairly recently, so having used both side by side, I think you'd be more than happy with a good used 7D1 as an upgrade if budget is a concern. They may share a sensor, but in terms of focus ability/speed. general usability and construction (I always felt like I was going to break the 600, whereas the 7 I'd be quite content using it as a blunt hitting instrument) there's a very noticable gap. I'd miss shots all the time with the 600D that I knew very well I'd have had no problems getting with the 7D.

As usual, like with most of these things, find one and try it out. :)

Thanks for that. Really helpful and food for thought. A 7D and an upgraded lens may be a better use for my budget.

UPDATE: I've gone with @Fuzzdog and bought a used Canon 7D. Arrived today. It's in good nick and only has 11k shutter actuations on it (i've just checked to be sure!) so seems good value at £370. I've set aside £1000 to upgrade my gear this year so that leaves plenty left over for some upgraded glass. Thinking of stretching to the 70 - 200 F4 Canon L series. Seem to be going used for around £400 and I know they are superb lenses. I'd be interested to hear thoughts on a decent day to day replacement lens for my Sigma 17 - 70, which is in a bit of a state!

UPDATE: I've gone with @Fuzzdog and bought a used Canon 7D. Arrived today. It's in good nick and only has 11k shutter actuations on it (i've just checked to be sure!) so seems good value at £370. I've set aside £1000 to upgrade my gear this year so that leaves plenty left over for some upgraded glass. Thinking of stretching to the 70 - 200 F4 Canon L series. Seem to be going used for around £400 and I know they are superb lenses. I'd be interested to hear thoughts on a decent day to day replacement lens for my Sigma 17 - 70, which is in a bit of a state!

Hope you enjoy it, it's still a very capable camera - definitely spend some time getting to know the focus system, it's a whole new world after the 600. 70-200L F4 is a bit of a no-brainer, really - they're just great lenses!

WEX have the 70-200L at £499 new. Don't over pay for a used one, although you do have to read up on which 70-200 it is as some have IS

WEX have the 70-200L at £499 new. Don't over pay for a used one, although you do have to read up on which 70-200 it is as some have IS

What are your thoughts on this? Is the IS desirable / necessary? I have it on my current Tamrom SP USM 70 - 300 and it's great for single shots but actually seems a hindrance for any moving objects.

Also, I'd like the option of a longer focal length but can;t really justify the added expense of a 100 - 400m or and would appreciate the shorter 70m - 200 for portraits / general shooting.

Definitely spend some time getting to know the focus system, it's a whole new world after the 600.

Yes I'm finding this out! Not had a chance to really get to grops yet but will put some serious work in over the weekend, I'm doing a lot of dog stuff at the moment (running, jumping etc) and want to do more genral wildlife too. ANy advice woudl be appreciated. Thanks

Yes I'm finding this out! Not had a chance to really get to grops yet but will put some serious work in over the weekend, I'm doing a lot of dog stuff at the moment (running, jumping etc) and want to do more genral wildlife too. ANy advice woudl be appreciated. Thanks

For moving critters, either the single centre point or the expanded centre cluster is what I usually use - if you find the focus is a bit twitchy and jumps around too much, try setting the servo speed custom function all the way down to the slowest setting and slowly working upwards - made all the difference for me. I found http://garyluhm.net/canon-7d-ai-servo-set-up-for-bif-bird-in-flight-160-032010/ to be a rather useful guide.

If you want something with a bit more reach but still constant aperture, worth possibly trying out a used Sigma 100-300 EX F4, you can find them for about the same price as a used Canon 70-200. Just as sharp, nearly as quick to focus, extremely solid and works very well with the 7D in my experience. Bit of a weighty thing if you're used to the Tamron 70-300 though. :D

Cheers @Fuzzdog. That was really helpful. Does a much better job of explaining focussing options than the manual. I set up some preferred options (AF point expansion, AI servo (fast tracking) on the C3 dial and had a first try at some action shots on my morning dog walk. I was blown away by the the speed and consistency of the focus. Light was poor so I had to run at 1,600 iso. That being so I was pretty impressed by the results. Here's a decentish example. For a first try with this level of kit I was pretty pleased. Sure I'll get better results as I learn a bot more about it, but so far really pleased with it. Thanks for your advice - it's really appreciated!
IMG_4952-2.jpg

Back