Beginner upgrading nikon d60

Edit My Images
No
Hi all!.following on from my first thread I want to ask this,I've had my d60 for 10 years and want to get into photography lots more.what would people recommend I do/upgrade to?.I am in the position to upgrade now.the subjects id like to cover would be,wildlife,animals,portraits,still life,countryside.I realise that it's lots to do with the lenses but am willing to upgrade camera of the time has come to retire the old girl!.I'd like to stay with nikon and also use my lenses from my d60.any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
How many lenses and what quality lenses do you already own? There has been a tremendous amount of change in the industry since then, so it's best to have a good look at what each manufacturer offers.

How many lenses and what quality lenses do you already own? There has been a tremendous amount of change in the industry since then, so it's best to have a good look at what each manufacturer offers.

Hi there,I have a 50mm a 18-55mm and am looking at getting a 70-300mm

I probably wouldn't buy anything yet.

To get into Photography more, you don't need a new camera - just take lots and lots of pictures. Learn what works for you, with subject/composure, and processing. Be prepared to delete a lot of photos.

After that, you'll probably have a better idea of what you want the camera to do and what it's shortcomings are. You may be able to solve these via extra lenses, or it may be that you do indeed need a new body. Either way you'll be able to make a more informed choice.

I bought a D60 second hand three months back, and for the most part for what I use it for I'm happy with it. Need a fast prime for low light, but that's about the only extra I need,

I've had my d60 for 10 years and want to get into photography lots more.what would people recommend I do/upgrade to?
I would recommend you keep using the D60 until you find yourself coming up against a specific shortcoming of the camera and/or lens. When you do, that will give you a clear pointer as to which aspects you need to upgrade. Until then, it's not the gear which is the limiting factor.

I would recommend you keep using the D60 until you find yourself coming up against a specific shortcoming of the camera and/or lens. When you do, that will give you a clear pointer as to which aspects you need to upgrade. Until then, it's not the gear which is the limiting factor.
This. I will only buy things that I need to achieve something I can't do with what I have.

Is there anything your current camera doesn't/can't do that you have tried to do with it? Or is there a particular problem you see in the photos you get from it?

I just went from my trusty d60 to a d7200.. what a jump. I feel I’ve made the right choice.

this thread was resurrected from May, OP probably already bought, would be interested to see what.

Back