Urban Decay, Abandoned Places in London

Name
Igor
Edit My Images
Yes
Do live or have been to London and know of any place that fits into this style of photography?
I'm looking for a few new ideas, maybe places I dont know yet, would be nice to hear from others.. Thanks (y)

Just don't do anything stupid.. like ask on 28 Days Later for precise location and access details. It's in their new member FAQ and they get very annoyed if people go asking silly questions like that.

You can add TalkUrbex to the list, although that can be even more cliquey than 28DL.

Searching Flickr for urbex or abandonment will yield good results. I think there's two or three London specific urbex groups on Flickr.

Just don't do anything stupid.. like ask on 28 Days Later for precise location and access details.

Haha no I wont do that :LOL:

Thanks very much for the links folks, much appreciated (y)

I'll be over for tea then :p

Houses of Parliament - plenty decay in there!

hahaha googling Urban Decay wasnt very helpful for the reason you mentioned, thats why I decided to ask here :p

hi there. Sorry to bump this thread but these are some cool places i seen from the recomended links.

My only question is, how do folks tend to get into these places or are they not really manned/locked up?

28 Days Later is a lovely site to look at. An old military base I use to live at is on there and it's fascinating looking at what's happened to it (as well as depressing).

Just a shame that so much of that sort of thing involves trespass. I can't afford to even take the risk of getting into bother for something like that for professional reasons. Still, nice to look at the pics other people take.

As someone who has done my fair share of recreational trespassing (see my websites in the signature;) ) I'd say that places do tend to be locked down a lot more these days. You need to keep your eyes open for stuff and go hunting, or keep your eye on the urbex forums for places you fancy or are local. Don't ask on those forums for how to get access - that is only really given out to people who are known and trusted.

Alternatively try and ask for permission from security or the owners - it's frowned on by many in the urbex community but if given a choice of no access or asking, I go with the latter. But the odds of getting permission are slim, tbh.

One last thing, don't create access by breaking in, that then becomes breaking and entering, which is a criminal offence!

Umm ok so it's ok to go inside am abandon place if there is already a opening somewhere? What's stopping the police accusing you of causing that opening in the first place?

'OK' depends on you! Trespass is not a criminal offence (other than on certain places - railways, airfields, nuclear, military installations, etc), but is a civil offence. If anyone finds you somewhere, then they can ask you to leave and may even call the Police. I have heard of some 'over aggresive' security operatives / site owners out there though.

Hypothetically, there's nothing to stop the Police accusing you, however, it's rare (but not unknown) that Police get called out, it's more likely to be private Security. If they found anything on you that could be used to gain entry, or found evidence of fresh damage then there would potentially be grounds for throwing the book at you.

I'm somewhat out of touch with the urbex community of late, so I wouldn't take this as gospel - have a read of the urbex forums and see if there's any 'stickies' on there for more definitive guidance.

I haven't done this sort of thing for fun, but I did spend quite a lot of time inside and underneath derelict buildings - including high rises - in Johannesburg CBD some years ago. This was work related and we had the owners' permission, but it was interesting and, occasionally, a bit hairy.

Read the urbex websites and their safety guidelines. Abandoned buildings can present far greater risks than a run in with the police or security.

I have slightly mixed feelings about this sort of thing. I site I legitimatly visited through work had a very tall chimney from one of their furnaces. People had been into the site at night and climbed up to the top, then posted pictures on line. A very dangrous thing to do and with little conisderation for those who work at the site and the impact it would have had on them should there have been a death.

I have slightly mixed feelings about this sort of thing. I site I legitimatly visited through work had a very tall chimney from one of their furnaces. People had been into the site at night and climbed up to the top, then posted pictures on line. A very dangrous thing to do and with little conisderation for those who work at the site and the impact it would have had on them should there have been a death.
I would use common sense and not go so hardcore in taking shots like that but more interested in just taking shots on say a run down hallway of an old hospital with a model. That's it.

I'd never for example do the shoot in a old hospital half demolished. Or any building that's half done etc.

Back