Urban Trees

Name
Rob Telford
Edit My Images
No
This is probably more a theme than a project, but I've been finding myself returning to it more and more over the last few months.

As some of you may be aware, I'm something of an admirer of Eugène Atget. For those that aren't familiar, he was a photographer who documented the changing face of Paris at the end of the 19th century and into the early 20th, with a particular emphasis on architectural details street scenes (but rarely people). He sold prints of his photographs to artists, theatre designers and anyone else looking for reference material.

Throughout his career, Atget took photographs of trees. They seem to hold a particular fascination for him, often returning to the same trees at different seasons or revisiting them years later. I had come to him via his Parisian city photos, which had a particular resonance with my own photography of London, but some of his images of trees began to be of more interest to me.

There is a series of his photographs of Notre Dame where the trunk of a tree passes right through the frame, partially obscuring the cathedral. As a compositional choice, this was curious; superimposing a natural figure upon a man made ground. In many of his other photographs, trees break almost unexpectedly into the frame from its edges. Elsewhere, he made studies, or perhaps even portraits of trees, especially in the Parc de Saint-Cloud to the west of Paris.

I tried to take on board some of those ideas into my own photographs of trees, mostly around central London.

It took me a while to put the pieces together in my head. Some of them are about how we encounter trees in town - they are used to mark out spaces, or fill gaps. We walk around them, stack things against them. We might look up occasionally, but often we only see the trunk of a tree that we are passing at eye level as we go about our lives. Others are more directly inspired by Atget.

There's a full set on Flickr, but here's a few.

Bloomsbury Plane
by Rob Telford, on Flickr

33 Percy Street

Tree: Lincoln's Inn Fields

Wood for the Trees

Wild Court

Brown Brogues

Cleaning Up

Central St Giles

Last edited:
Interesting project Rob.

There was a group on Flickr, called something along the lines of Captives or Prisoners of the Eternal Light, that looked at urban trees/vegetation subject to constant illumination from streetlights,security lights, etc.

Rob, I like these. I often don't see trees, over familiarity.

Of the set,

#2, central placement works really well and the base of the tree has great textures and detail.

#5, lonely tree. Colours on the tree blend in well with the surroundings. I'd prefer the leaves/branches weren't there, but a crop would ruin it.

#7, I'm liking the colours on the buildings.

Cheers and more :)

On first seeing this I thought it a bit odd but on scrolling down it peaked my interest as there are some interesting images, particularly 3 & 8 :)

Good stuff.

Number 5 has got me wondering what it would have looked like with half a step to the left to put the tree against the stone - them being similar shades.

Thanks for the replies

#5, lonely tree. Colours on the tree blend in well with the surroundings. I'd prefer the leaves/branches weren't there, but a crop would ruin it.

Number 5 has got me wondering what it would have looked like with half a step to the left to put the tree against the stone - them being similar shades.

It was a deliberate decision to place the tree against the window, but I reckon I'll have to go back and see if I can make it work like that.

It was a deliberate decision to place the tree against the window, but I reckon I'll have to go back and see if I can make it work like that.
Looking at it flattened on a screen is probably why I even thought about the alternative.

I like the idea of this project and will be keen to see how it progresses. I particularly like #2, #4 and #8.

I often photograph trees and find it hard to end up with images I'm really pleased with.

nice shots on an interesting project, especially as most councils wish to cut town trees down

Interesting project, can we all join in?

A different day, a different season with different light and everything changes.

Having a 55mm lens instead of the 35mm I was using before possibly didn't help matters either...

20161110_0003-Edit.jpg

However, I did discover a different angle that I think I prefer for its simplicity

20161108_0001-Edit.jpg

A different day, a different season with different light and everything changes.

Having a 55mm lens instead of the 35mm I was using before possibly didn't help matters either...

View attachment 90147

However, I did discover a different angle that I think I prefer for its simplicity

View attachment 90149

Just shows how much diffwrence the light can make. I like the new angle as well as the original.

Good idea, interesting images and very cool
compositions and renditions! (y)(y)(y)

Nice one, #1 is quite an unusual one, and well spotted.

Of the set it's #5 for me, I really like the shadows, they seem to be dancing.

Cheers.

And having looked at the Flickr feed, there are a number of identical locations where the shot is slightly different - could you care to explain how such a freakish coincidence could occur?

And having looked at the Flickr feed, there are a number of identical locations where the shot is slightly different - could you care to explain how such a freakish coincidence could occur?

I think you must work not very far from my new office up by City Road Basin :)

Thanks Rob(y):clap::clap::clap: you have given me a push with an idea that I have had in my and been to lazy to get on with

Great additions to the set Rob, I particularly like the shadow and Shaftsbury Street ones. It's an interesting project and I look forward to seeing more.

I like this last lot on a common theme. (y)

Back