urgent help required

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the best ways of stopping scams, such as this, is to make sure that the public are aware of them. The police will always want to spread the word, usually via the local press, that scammers are operating in a given area as scammers tend to carry on for as long as they can get away with it. So it is pretty certain that a report of this incident will be appearing any time now.

I expect to see an early arrest.

Here is a possibility:

If there is an ongoing Operation regarding this then the last thing the police would want to do is make a public announcement. They could be close to getting enough evidence to convict and would not want to prejudice the case - given that there hasn't been any violence/loss of life that we are aware of.

As I said, just a possibility.

That was certainly one of my thoughts based on the OP's latest comments.

However, regardless, I think a few people round here need to rein it in a bit until more can be told.

Yv said:

However, regardless, I think a few people round here need to rein it in a bit until more can be told.

Absolutely agree.

yv, you yourself have been known to question an OP though, even when the poster had no reason to make something up. That poster took the questioning with a lot of goodwill if i remember correctly.

The story has some holes in it, and some posters are wary of the community here being embarrassed by getting emotionally involved in a thread only to find out it was a hoax.

Last edited:
Good luck matty in finding the culprits. Many people have fallen for the techniques used by fraudsters and your friend is not the first and certainly won't be the last. They seem to be well organised as when you posted you seemed convinced they were genuine.

Keep the thread updated as and when you can. There are some here that are interested in how this one pans out.

Best wishes.

yv, you yourself have been known to question an OP though, even when the poster had no reason to make something up. That poster took the questioning with a lot of goodwill if i remember correctly.

The story has some holes in it, and some posters are wary of the community here being embarrassed by getting emotionally involved in a thread only to find out it was a hoax.

Given the 'community' being wary of being embarrassed, there are a whole lot of pages here of pitchfork wielding, pillowcase wearing folk charging through the village castigating a poster without even close to half the facts.

That, in itself, is damned embarrassing if you ask me! I hope you're all incredibly proud of yourselves.

I am personally very dissapointed in TP that the afore mentioned pitchfork wielding happened and more importantly was allowed to carry on as long as it did.

Simmotino said:
Given the 'community' being wary of being embarrassed, there are a whole lot of pages here of pitchfork wielding, pillowcase wearing folk charging through the village castigating a poster without even close to half the facts.

That, in itself, is damned embarrassing if you ask me! I hope you're all incredibly proud of yourselves.

Spot on Simmo, I don't want to be the kind of person who automatically thinks the worst of others.

Joe, you seem to have taken offence to a simple request, which is very odd. I am not objecting to any one asking questions. I am asking, in my role as a moderator, for those that are calling him a liar in no uncertain terms to step back and think about what they are saying, especially as he has now been back and responded as best he can in the circumstances. As a member, I am also entitled to ask questions of posters where there seems to be some kind of doubt and it can also be argued that in some cases, even more so as a moderator, though they are very rare. if you feel you have questioned him fairly, then there is no need for you to be concerned by by my request, is there?

Matty,
Good luck to your friend in getting his camera back, or at least a result on the thieves. Something to be aware of so thanks for the warning in the story.

Simmotino said:

Again totally agree.
Funny how the person who likes questioning, doesn't seeme so keen when they are questioned.
I really feel for the op and his friend. Lets hope the police are closing in on the fraudsters.

Last edited:
This thread shows what I see as the only issue with this wonderful forum, the arm chair simon cowells think that it's totally appropriate to rip chunks out of people over the smallest little thing :shrug: come on mod's use the :lock: before certain members make this place look any more unfriendly :shake:

Matt
MWHCVT

Joe, you seem to have taken offence to a simple request, which is very odd. I am not objecting to any one asking questions. I am asking, in my role as a moderator, for those that are calling him a liar in no uncertain terms to step back and think about what they are saying, especially as he has now been back and responded as best he can in the circumstances. As a member, I am also entitled to ask questions of posters where there seems to be some kind of doubt and it can also be argued that in some cases, even more so as a moderator, though they are very rare. if you feel you have questioned him fairly, then there is no need for you to be concerned by by my request, is there?

Ok, I hear you.

I wasn't taking offence though, just misunderstanding your stance. (y)

For the record, I stand by that I think this is a hoax, and if it turns out not to be, I'll be the first to apologise to the op.

Last edited:
MWHCVT said:
This thread shows what I see as the only issue with this wonderful forum, the arm chair simon cowells think that it's totally appropriate to rip chunks out of people over the smallest little thing :shrug: come on mod's use the :lock: before certain members make this place look any more unfriendly :shake:

Matt
MWHCVT

Exactly Matt, given the way some threads have been going lately, the TP Christmas logo should be a mistletoe covered crucifix.

I know its no consolation , but please accept my apologies for the Edit out by staff on this forum, Hope all ends well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Greek said:
I know its no consolation , but please accept my apologies for the **** on this forum, Hope all ends well.

Hang on. People have voiced opinions and concerns, but no ones been offensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
right, that's enough, this thread is now officially closed whilst everyone gathers their thoughts.

to the OP - if you would like to add an update as and when you have more information, please use the contact us link and a member of staff can re-open it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back