US cars - open thread

MX-5 on steroids!!!

MX-5 on steroids!!!

Hi, I have no personal experience with a VIPER. - A former colleague took one for a test drive a few years ago, and was quite impressed (but did not buy it).

Perhaps CORVETTE enthusiasts find it more appealing ... ---

A Cobra for the 21st century. Too impractical for European roads and while the Mazda doesn't exactly sip fuel, it can't match the thirst of a V10!

Have you seen THIS? Lots more about it on the web, as well as many of his other creations.

A Cobra for the 21st century. Too impractical for European roads and while the Mazda doesn't exactly sip fuel, it can't match the thirst of a V10!

Have you seen THIS? Lots more about it on the web, as well as many of his other creations.

Hi, I agree. - And dealer support is very thin here. - But if someone can live with it, wants to, and can afford it ... --- Why not?!

How does the owner get away with an "H" plate on that? To be "correct", shouldn't it have a flathead V8? (And a less attractive exhaust!!!)

How does the owner get away with an "H" plate on that? To be "correct", shouldn't it have a flathead V8? (And a less attractive exhaust!!!)

Well, to a certain extent this depends on the engineer granting the plate. With U.S. Hot Rod custom cars there can be no strict rules. The car must be "in character of the time",
allowing for special custom parts of the Hot Rod era.

Modern LED lights, or a recent CORVETTE engine, for example, would be ruled out.

(Another thing are modifications after the H plate has been granted. Police do not check H plate compliance. The TÜV (our MOT) does every two years,
among other things (roadworthiness etc.).

Any non-H compliant changes would have to be undone then.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nod
Thanks for the clarification, Immo.

There was one of those parked opposite a couple of nights ago. Far too dark to get a shot and the house it was parked outside is the home of a very recently widowed lady so didn't want to use flash. The owner's a gentleman's appendage too!

Got any of the purple (? '40 Ford) car behind the Bandit?

It's weird! Much as I love convertibles, a good looking '40s one is a rare beast indeed and IMO, the '40 Ford is much better as a 2 door coupé than a convertible.
Looking at Bob's shot again, I think the purple car might be a Willy's rather than a Ford.

Thanks for that, Bob.

Back