Usb 2

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
Still may seem a silly question.
I'm looking to buy some external hard drives, but these all seem to be USB 3 nowadays, I only have USB 2 on my computers, will the 3 connection still work.

I'm looking to buy some external hard drives, but these all seem to be USB 3 nowadays, I only have USB 2 on my computers, will the 3 connection still work.

USB has always been backwards compatible so a USB 3 device will work fine albeit running at USB 2 speed

USB has always been backwards compatible so a USB 3 device will work fine albeit running at USB 2 speed
I thought it was, but needed others to confirm it for me. Thanks.

if you have desktop pc you could look at installing a USB3 PCI card?

the speed difference between 2 and 3 is night and day.

I had considered doing that and looked into it, I'm not great with Computers and after having a read about it, it looked a bit complicated, maybe I'll watch a YouTube video and see if it's something I could do. Thanks

If you get a well known brand such as Startech you should be able to just plug and play*

*just make sure you have the correct type of slot for the card, also some require a spare internal power connector

what PC(s) do you have?

If you get a well known brand such as Startech you should be able to just plug and play*

*just make sure you have the correct type of slot for the card, also some require a spare internal power connector

what PC(s) do you have?
The PC is quite old, but does me fine for what I use it for.
Dell precision TT5500
Intel xeon quad 2.27ghz
12gb ram (soon to be 32gb)

I'm not even sure the PC could handle (speed wise a USB 3)

Looking at the t5500 specs, you have a total of four PCI-e slots; one of those could handle something like this with no problem.

Looking at the t5500 specs, you have a total of four PCI-e slots; one of those could handle something like this with no problem.
Thank you for taking the time to look into this, it's much appreciated. I'll take a look and order one. I'm sure it'll be pretty easy to fit, I took a look at some YouTube videos earlier. :)

I'm sure it'll be pretty easy to fit, I took a look at some YouTube videos earlier.
The mechanics are easy enough, but if you're going into the case, just a warning about static charge from your clothing / hands. Circuit boards including the mainboard are so easily fried. I tend to opt for cotton clothing, and whilst handling the inserted card by its contactless edges I have the case grounded through its mains lead (with the switch at the plug set to off), and lean my arms on the case edges to ground them. You may also have removed any male jewellery beforehand ...? I've never blown anything but I've seen it done.

Last edited:

A USB 3 external hard drive will work with a USB 2 port on the computer.

Just remember that when using UBS 3 external drive, it will only slow down to the USB 2 speed. Thus when you pick up a USB 3 packaging, and see it says something like "Fast speed! Transfer a movie in 2 seconds!" you have to remember that this only applies if your computer have USB 3 port. So you have to ignore what it says, and understand that your files will only be transferred at something like 10 times slower.

Just in case you're interested: A USB 2 external hard drive will work with a USB 3 port on the computer, but again, same as above, can only work on USB 2 speeds.

That's why they're called backwards compatible, meaning USB 3 and USB 2 can work together (they're compatible with each other), but 3 can only go backwards to 2's speed, because 2 can't go forwards to work as fast as 3 do.

You can go and buy USB 3 external drives, as long as you remember and accept that it will only be as slow as USB 2.

But the good thing about buying USB 3 external is that you can future proof it. One day, if you upgrade your computer and it includes USB 3, you'll get to use the external drive at the faster speeds it was designed for. (If you buy USB 2 drvie then upgrade computer to include USB 3, you'll be still stuck at 2's speeds.)

Back