Use of the word 'vintage' in ads

Edit My Images
No
Can an Olympus OM10 or Nikon FG20 be described as vintage? I'd hesitate to describe a Rolleiflex thus but have even seen 1990s cameras described as vintage.
An early Leica is vintage, as is a wooden plate camera. An EOS 650 is not. There should be a campaign :nono:

Vintage is just a way of saying old. The one that bugs me is antique - which has a clearly defined definition of over 100 years old - there are not too many antique SLR's about but that's not the message you get from some ads!

:LOL:

but well - vintage is vintage, I think anything that comes before 1975 is vintage :D or maybe even 1979 :) :D

Lemm guess... you were born around 1979, right?

The word Vintage actually has it's routes from winemaking (vin) and was originally used to apply to a certain crop or year.......... "Ah yes, but I think the 1963 vintage had a tad more body....." :LOL::LOL:

Generally, it is used to apply to an era..... e.g. a Vintage Car....... could be a 1930's Bugatti or a 1960's MG............ likewise I guess it could be(and is) applied to anything from camera's to clothing.

Don't even get me started on "Antique" - have you noticed now all the "antique's fairs" are now advertised as "Antique & Collector's Fair's" - i.e. you can collect any old tat...... and a cunning way of getting around the 100 yr old requirement......

You mean the things I have been buying from all the boot sales are not antique? :D

( Which reminds me, more antique hand wound HMV gramaphone are sold in India, than HMV ever produced. Where they make these, and how they get the components to put it together, I'll never know. I still have one in my loft - and it works)

Vintage is just a way of saying old. The one that bugs me is antique - which has a clearly defined definition of over 100 years old - there are not too many antique SLR's about but that's not the message you get from some ads!

Lemm guess... you were born around 1979, right?

everybody is ! :D .. with some exception of those who are born before 19** :LOL:

vintage - yeah a cool word as to not say it's useless, dropped out of fashion old crap :D

I'm prepared to accept that vintage is not only about longevity but also desirability and even a certain classic status (an Olympus Trip or a Polaroid or a Minolta XM might sneak under the wire) but I like my Nikon F60 because it's avowedly not vintage. It's a bit of can-do plastic nonsense from the years when manufacturers were tapping their fingers awaiting digital technology, and I like it for its mundane-ness and cheap tricks.

If an OM10 really is a vintage 'collectable' I must have missed something big.

In terms of cars, a vintage car is normally from end of WW1 to around 1930.

Veteran cars predate this from the dawn of motoring in the late 1880's to approx 1905.

The Edwardian Era comes after that and bridges the gap between Veteran and Vintage.

Vintage on 20 year old film cameras I can live with. What really boils my **** is people referring to the Canon 5dMk1 as the 5DClassic. WTF is that about, it didn't exactly revolutionise photography did it.

Vintage on 20 year old film cameras I can live with. What really boils my **** is people referring to the Canon 5dMk1 as the 5DClassic. WTF is that about, it didn't exactly revolutionise photography did it.

:LOL: call it the 5D-Obsolete - they like to bandy that word around, don't they ??

People will pay more for a vintage camera than for the same make and model without the "vintage" label!

Vintage in the true sense of the word when antiques are involved is 100 years, however when you consider modern technology 25 years seems to be the bench mark.(y):thumbsdown:

My understanding as a rule of thumb is that anything over 100 years is Antique and that anything between 50 and 100 years is Vintage so the OM10 being post 1960 is not Vintage but a Nikon F from 1959 is Vintage

How About wet collodion plates? Should be able to make 'em to fit a 5x4 or 10x8 camera. Downside would be the dark-tent you need within a few yards to prepare the plates, and process 'em after :LOL:

Classic, vintage and antique... all terms for the seller to add more value. :)

How About wet collodion plates? Should be able to make 'em to fit a 5x4 or 10x8 camera. Downside would be the dark-tent you need within a few yards to prepare the plates, and process 'em after :LOL:

Sally Mann says it's modern ! :D . wet collodion plates might be oldschool, but you get all the ingredients new so it's not so vintage. well, the camera might be :D

Sally Mann says it's modern ! :D . wet collodion plates might be oldschool, but you get all the ingredients new so it's not so vintage. well, the camera might be :D

Well - when we did it, back at my schools photography club, back in the early seventies, the kit looked pretty much archaic. 10x8" plate camera with hand coated wet collodion glass plates is quite as old a process as I've been involved in.

as opposed to the more accurate

Obsolete, Broken and Old Tat... which wouldn't sell half as well :)

Classic lens for sale, don't miss this famously sharp, smooth performer (note: broken) There's quite a few irony impaired sellers on ebay :LOL:

When something has been obsolete for 25 years or more it's vintage. Not sure if that's true, but what I was told.

Well, strickly speaking, it isn't the Mk1 either, just a Canon 5D.

To qualify as "vintage" a car needs to have been produced between 1919 and 1930.....

Correct, a 1960's MG is simply a post-war classic car.

Veteran
Edwardian
Vintage
pre-war
post-war

What they'll do with the more modern classics is anyone's guess, but currently tend to get grouped by decade.

Different events are open to different things - the London to Brighton Run for example, is for veteran cars. Someone I know has is in dispute with a dating authority, its right on the cusp of the changeover, and whilst it may not seem a big deal, being able to do the L2B is quite important and adds quite a lot to its value.

When something has been obsolete for 25 years or more it's vintage. Not sure if that's true, but what I was told.

Hmm. What is "obsolete"? Is a Nikon F/F2, a Jaguar XK 120 or a Holland and Holland shotgun built in 1900 obsolete? I wouldn't say so, but I would consider a 1960s Instamatic or Ford Anglia obsolete because there are far better alternatives now.

I'm quite content with a loose definition for "vintage", but I have come across some very broad interpretations of "mint". To collectors, mint means as it left the factory, not just a good example without defects or visible scratches.

Hmm. What is "obsolete"? Is a Nikon F/F2, a Jaguar XK 120 or a Holland and Holland shotgun built in 1900 obsolete? I wouldn't say so, but I would consider a 1960s Instamatic or Ford Anglia obsolete because there are far better alternatives now.

The Nikon and the Jaguar, whilst both "icons" have both been rendered obsolete by advances in technology. I don't know anything about shotguns, but I'd imagine more modern ones are in someway more efficient at killing things too......

The Nikon and the Jaguar, whilst both "icons" have both been rendered obsolete by advances in technology. I don't know anything about shotguns, but I'd imagine more modern ones are in someway more efficient at killing things too......

I think this is subjective, but I don't agree that the Nikon or Jaguar are obsolete. Ageing, yes, but not obsolete in the sense of being completely superseded by demonstrably better alternatives.

Double barrelled shotguns were pretty much perfected in the late C19th, more than a century ago. There have been no significant improvements and a best gun built in 1900 will not give away anything to a modern gun.

I think this is subjective, but I don't agree that the Nikon or Jaguar are obsolete. Ageing, yes, but not obsolete in the sense of being completely superseded by demonstrably better alternatives.

Taking the XK120 as an example, it was sold as a performance car....

1948 XK120

Top Speed: 125mph
0-60 time: 10 seconds

2010 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Diesel

Top Speed:134mph
0-60 time: 9.5 seconds

So, basically a taxi from 2010 would beat what was, in it's day, one of the fastest production cars you could buy. I'd say the Jaguar is very much obsolete....

But... I know which one *I'd* rather have :D

In terms of shotguns, it was the American weapons industry that drove the increase in accuracy of machine tools during the 1800's and beyond.

I suspect the advantages now come more from changes to the cartridge in terms of chemical composition and the pellets rather than changes to the gun itself which as others have alluded, haven't really changed for a 100 years.

Whilst accuracy may have improved slightly, the nature of the weapon demanded a huge degree of accuracy anyway, and maybe the guns are more consistently manufactured and faster to make and hence relatively cheaper.

Welllllll, despite doing some of the long-term testing on the TDCI Focus estate (watching the bhp get turned up every week until it was just silly and the bm flywheel popped) I think I may just pop for the older model - too old for speed these days. In *most* things anyway :D

Taking the XK120 as an example, it was sold as a performance car....

1948 XK120

Top Speed: 125mph
0-60 time: 10 seconds

2010 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Diesel

Top Speed:134mph
0-60 time: 9.5 seconds

So, basically a taxi from 2010 would beat what was, in it's day, one of the fastest production cars you could buy. I'd say the Jaguar is very much obsolete....

The difference is pretty academic but, yes, modern cars are faster than the XK 120 was, and probably handle better, but are they superior in any way? Build? Gracefulness? Style?

10x8 film camera was invented when ?
and still - no digi can come even close.

cars are different - yes.
you can even compare Ferrari f40 vs the new 458 italia . the F40 not so long ago was the top Ferrari (like the enzo model) and the new 458 is just an entry level , but 458 is faster. still - f40 is one of the Gods ! :love:

and ! planes are even faster for transportation ! :D

Obsolete is an interesting idea, I take it to mean parts no longer available. Given sufficient donor camera bodies and repair expertise that problem isn't insurmountable and one can think of popular classic cars where every component is now available again due to demand.

It's not hard to imagine 35mm classic camera being worth enough money in 20 years for enterprising individuals to re-make the bits that wear out.

Back