Used camera & lens website

30,000 ebay results added! with checkbox to hide... going to need a 'loading results' animation now.

i only added 'used' 'buy it now' results - for film cameras, digital cameras and lenses.

i will look to change to an ajax method of table loading to speed it up.

Last edited:
30,000 ebay results added! with checkbox to hide... going to need a 'loading results' animation now.

i only added 'used' 'buy it now' results - for film cameras, digital cameras and lenses.

i will look to change to an ajax method of table loading to speed it up.

:eek:

Could you add cookies to remember the checkbox selection so that people who don't want to won't have to wait for all results to load and then tick that box.

I'd personally prefer it to be ticked by default and only load the ebay results when I request it to do so by unticking. But this website isn't for me, so I'd understand if you want it unticked by default.

Last edited:
:eek:

Could you add cookies to remember the checkbox selection so that people who don't want to won't have to wait for all results to load and then tick that box.

I'd personally prefer it to be ticked by default and only load the ebay results when I request it to do so by unticking. But this website isn't for me, so I'd understand if you want it unticked by default.

It has a cookie when you tick it, so tick it once and you're good for 30 days.

After getting eBay on there performance has been a key concern.

I exported the data to a text file to rule out code, it still takes 10 seconds to load the dataset.

I think it could be faster, I mean on development it takes 250ms with the same data.

It may mean having to find a new host! Which is a pain, but at least I can easily test them with a dataset text file and some html to see how responsive they are.

For now the site remains fast after the initial load

And here I am again to test it :D

By the way I'd love to see the brand chooser back, that was really helpful. I don't know if it's possible to bring it back....

And here I am again to test it :D

By the way I'd love to see the brand chooser back, that was really helpful. I don't know if it's possible to bring it back....

If the title of product provides enough identifying information then I should have a good chance at retrospectively applying categories.

My only concern is if some sigma lenses don't detail what mount they are for..

What I'm hoping to do is to categorise some lenses manually, then have it remember those for next time - and do a % match on other titles. If the % match score is lets say 80%+ then it automatically categorises it to match. Could be fun!

If the title of product provides enough identifying information then I should have a good chance at retrospectively applying categories.

My only concern is if some sigma lenses don't detail what mount they are for..

What I'm hoping to do is to categorise some lenses manually, then have it remember those for next time - and do a % match on other titles. If the % match score is lets say 80%+ then it automatically categorises it to match. Could be fun!
I'd say forget the mounts and go with the brands. So just categorise it under a sigma brand (same for tamron, Zeiss, voigtlander etc)

I'd say forget the mounts and go with the brands. So just categorise it under a sigma brand (same for tamron, Zeiss, voigtlander etc)

I’ll take that as permission to make my life much easier :) hah.. I’ll do it

Also out of interest...

Very simply categorisation would be to just filter by brand name like you say, but it's not any different from typing in the brand name before your search on the website as it currently is.

Would that actually be useful, are you just wanting to avoid having to type it in, or did you want something more in mind?

Though for search engines having a page for each brand would be helpful.

Last edited:
Also out of interest...

Very simply categorisation would be to just filter by brand name like you say, but it's not any different from typing in the brand name before your search on the website as it currently is.

So are you just wanting to avoid having to type it in, or did you want something more?

while what you say is true its just less intuitive for folks.

Personally I'd be much happier if you let me search by regexs :ROFLMAO:

while what you say is true its just less intuitive for folks.

Personally I'd be much happier if you let me search by regexs :ROFLMAO:

One things that bugs me, if you search for a Nikon D5, you get D50 and D500 also.

But making it have to match entire words would mean when you type 1.4 it couldn't match f1.4 or f/1.4

a like %search instead of %search% might resolve these two cases, but i wonder what other problems it'd bring!

Last edited:
One things that bugs me, if you search for a Nikon D5, you get D50 and D500 also.

But making it have to match entire words would mean when you type 1.4 it couldn't match f1.4 or f/1.4

a like %search instead of %search% might resolve these two cases, but i wonder what other problems it'd bring!

You could follow google style of searching and accept quotes... so searching "D5" means D5 only and searching D5 means anything staring with D5 (or string contains or whatever else you are doing now) i.e. D5, D50 and D500

Would it be possible to somewhat overcome it by doing what MPB do with live results popping up as you type your search criteria from which you can then choose the specific model which will limit the final search results to only this?

Also, very small point but would be handy if you could put your website in your signature or something to save having to go back to page 1. I know, super lazy but every little helps lol

You could follow google style of searching and accept quotes... so searching "D5" means D5 only and searching D5 means anything staring with D5 (or string contains or whatever else you are doing now) i.e. D5, D50 and D500

Good point, I will add it to list of things to do..

Oh I like this as well. Would you have to put some basic instructions? Not sure how many people know about the quotes thing.

Would it be possible to somewhat overcome it by doing what MPB do with live results popping up as you type your search criteria from which you can then choose the specific model which will limit the final search results to only this?

Also, very small point but would be handy if you could put your website in your signature or something to save having to go back to page 1. I know, super lazy but every little helps lol

bookmark it ;)
my browser history has it remembered for me :)

At this point MPB's implementation would take a lot of work, but thanks for highlighting it as an idea.

Can't make it my signature, at this time TP are happy for me to keep discussion to this thread. But if I were to post it anywhere else it would be classed as self-advertising.

http://usedlens.co.uk

Oh I like this as well. Would you have to put some basic instructions? Not sure how many people know about the quotes thing.

I think I would have to add some instructions, even if people knew how it worked no one will realise the change

Added in some brand categories!

It will remember via a cookie where you were last, choose show all to get everything again.

Now I probably need to add more brand options, but it's a case of finding out what they are :)

Having another look at the search, how does it handle things like Mk and Mark and also numbers vs roman numerals?

For example, when I look up the Sonay A7 III which I believe will also include results for Mk III but will it show me results for Mk3?

Also, apologies if it has been said already, but is there a way to have bodies only?

Having another look at the search, how does it handle things like Mk and Mark and also numbers vs roman numerals?

For example, when I look up the Sonay A7 III which I believe will also include results for Mk III but will it show me results for Mk3?

Also, apologies if it has been said already, but is there a way to have bodies only?

The search is not clever enough for that, I'd need a database of (similies? something to do with semantics?) I can't really remember the term.

But it's something that would know 'lunar' and 'moon' were the same thing.

Bodies only... originally I thought .,. anything that did not have 'mm' :) but there are quite a few results with have combined body + lens - I'd have to go back to when they're imported to assign a flag.

I have been 'modernising' all the import logic, as it evolved a lot from the first retailer.

At the same time I've been assigning a flag for what's a camera and what's a lens.. and cutting back on importing so many accessories/flashes/filters.

Even this is difficult from many retailers who just dump stuff in one category and don't use consistent naming structures, there's no real way to determine what's what some times.

So I'm doing the best I can with this.. and hopefully the option will be available in the next day or two.

Would it be worth /doable to add the fuji refurb store? Although it seems their site has a bit of an issue at the moment .

I have added some camera/lens filter buttons, they might not be perfect!

I take no responsibility when a retailer adds a lens into their own camera category like
https://www.cameraworld.co.uk/used-camera-equipment/used-digital-cameras.html?limit=all

and well there are much worse examples to be had :D

Would it be worth /doable to add the fuji refurb store? Although it seems their site has a bit of an issue at the moment .

i'll add it to the list, thanks

I see the blog site link I gave you have a reciprocal link to your search. Nicely done

Yea, I emailed them and they were happy to do it ! thanks

Last edited:
Even this is difficult from many retailers ....

So I'm doing the best I can with this..

Chill, it's fathers day, it's Sunday, you are father to those lil' puppies ! Walk with them with your wife @ countryside, no camera, no website exercising. Stay cool.
:)

Chill, it's fathers day, it's Sunday, you are father to those lil' puppies ! Walk with them with your wife @ countryside, no camera, no website exercising. Stay cool.
:)

Hah, well I've reach a point now that I can relax - I just had to finish what I started yesterday and now I have..

Time for lunch and then maybe a walk!

Yuffie by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Cease favouritism merely due to your preference @ IQ !!

Venture back to mayhem @ tortious project, people need results !! Swift !! The chrom & nocti = way yonder dreams now for you :(. Oh that 28mm ? Not dissimilar to q2 with little idiosyncratic PP for chrom production (ツ)

Well done @ commitment.

Cease favouritism merely due to your preference @ IQ !!

Do you mean camera favouritism? poor Sony A9 not getting any use outside of work :)

Venture back to mayhem @ tortious project, people need results !! Swift !! The chrom & nocti = way yonder dreams now for you :(. Oh that 28mm ? Not dissimilar to q2 with little idiosyncratic PP for chrom production (ツ)

Once the lockdown is over and I'm back at work in 2023, i'll get that camera.. and i'll take lots of photos :D

Well done @ commitment.c

:ty:

There was a small discussion about the site on the pentax forum, where a second person has mention searching by retailer - as it may be quicker than using the retailers own site. Well now you can do that.

View attachment 283883

i did think of this in a slightly different way. Basically using your tiles below to turn on or off a certain retailer then I thought it probably didn't add much value. This is still pretty useful. Now you can go to one place to search from most used retailers than multiple websites with varying user interfaces from good to bad.

Well done @dancook - you've cost me about £700 quid this week :ROFLMAO:

Love the way the site is evolving since you first popped it up on the Leica thread.

How about a 'buy me a coffee' link to the site so people can support your endeavours if they're successful in finding what they want?

https://ko-fi.com/

Thanks Dave, that could be good ! I'll take a look.

Back