Used camera & lens website

i did think of this in a slightly different way. Basically using your tiles below to turn on or off a certain retailer then I thought it probably didn't add much value. This is still pretty useful. Now you can go to one place to search from most used retailers than multiple websites with varying user interfaces from good to bad.

On a mobile phone the tiles below are non-readable, so small, if they I fixed that it'd be a lot of vertical scrolling for them.

I'm tempted to do away with those tiles now that the retailers are listed in the menu.

On a mobile phone the tiles below are non-readable, so small, if they I fixed that it'd be a lot of vertical scrolling for them.

I'm tempted to do away with those tiles now that the retailers are listed in the menu.

I wouldn't do away with them, just hide them after one or two lines with an option to "expand all".
Its useful in terms of bragging rights or showing off how many retailers you are covering.

Taking a look at camerapricebuster

I found 4 camera stores that I haven't added!

campkinsacameras
cameraland
chiswickcameras
t4cameras

better get on it...

This is great!
Well done. Will no doubt come in handy!

Well that’s money I wasn’t expecting to spend today, cracking price though so it’s not all bad, just when I thought I was cured of GAS .....

Cheers Dan, I’ll bung you a coffee :)

Well that’s money I wasn’t expecting to spend today, cracking price though so it’s not all bad, just when I thought I was cured of GAS .....

Cheers Dan, I’ll bung you a coffee :)

Thank you kindly! what did you buy?

You can now use quotes to match terms (explicitly?)

Like Nikon 'D50' will not get D500, D5000 results.

Or Olympus '8mm' will not get 28mm lenses.

You can now filter products by 'new' and 'reduced'

New will show products added in the last 24 hours (today everything is showing new, but tomorrow it will calm down)

Reduced will show products that have been given a lower price since it was first added.

newreduced.png

The search has been improved to only match the beginning or end of a word, but not the middle.

Hyphens now also work correctly so that you can search for e.g. X-T2, and if you use quotes 'X-T2' or "X-T2" it will also not get results for X-T20

Last edited:
Hi Dan,

Have you considered any other domain names linking to your same site ?

e.g. usedcameragear.co.uk is available.

Cheers,
Dougie.

Hi Dan,

Have you considered any other domain names linking to your same site ?

e.g. usedcameragear.co.uk is available.

Cheers,
Dougie.

Cheers nice find. does that really help anything do you think?

In other news

Reached 60 retailers and shortly adding a blog!

It's been a while since I looked at SEO but I'm sure domain names used to have a decent impact on search engine ranking, especially when there was decent content in headings and body.

Cheers nice find. does that really help anything do you think?

In other news

Reached 60 retailers and shortly adding a blog!

For your search engine reach I'm sure. Not just lenses being listed on your site ?.

Just a suggestion, I'm more a software engineer than web marketing guru.

Dougie.

Just found this thread, this is genuinely awesome.

I haven't read all the posts yet but the main difficulty I've found is trying to narrow down searches for the a7RII. A7RII brings nothing up, a7R II brings up the a7RIII etc.

As somebody else said early on, in the space a few weeks you've made a site that is better for searching MPB than MPBs very own website ;)

Last edited:

I haven't read all the posts yet but the main difficulty I've found is trying to narrow down searches for the a7RII. A7RII brings nothing up, a7R II brings up the a7RIII etc.

As somebody else said early on, in the space a few weeks you've made a site that is better for searching MPB than MPBs very own website ;)

I implemented “” and ‘’ for exact searches but just trying it on my phone now and it’s not working will need to check the problem and get back to you

this works on my PC, but when doing a search by my phone it does not.. will have to look into that ^^ click link above

Just come across this post...excellent idea and very useful

Not done much photography last couple off years and trying to build up some kit again so this is a good site for me

For your search engine reach I'm sure. Not just lenses being listed on your site ?.

Just a suggestion, I'm more a software engineer than web marketing guru.

Dougie.

It's been a while since I looked at SEO but I'm sure domain names used to have a decent impact on search engine ranking, especially when there was decent content in headings and body.

After a google search it seems that if it's a 301 redirect it'll not be indexed, the benefits of having other domains might be to use a shorter ones to point to the longer one.

I'll have another look

this works on my PC, but when doing a search by my phone it does not.. will have to look into that ^^ click link above

Thanks, I think it's actually safer just to search for "a7R" anyway as sites seem to call them whatever they like...

a7R MK2, a7R II, a7R MK3, a7R MKIII and so on!

Thanks, I think it's actually safer just to search for "a7R" anyway as sites seem to call them whatever they like...

a7R MK2, a7R II, a7R MK3, a7R MKIII and so on!

It's all such a pain isn't it! :)

After a google search it seems that if it's a 301 redirect it'll not be indexed, the benefits of having other domains might be to use a shorter ones to point to the longer one.

I'll have another look

Could you upload copies of the master website to various domain names, perhaps once there's less development and updating happening?

I suppose you could always do static splash pages which refer back to the main domain, although I think splash pages are a little dated these days and would also need fresh content to keep them current. Could be a lot of extra work as well.

Could you upload copies of the master website to various domain names, perhaps once there's less development and updating happening?

I suppose you could always do static splash pages which refer back to the main domain, although I think splash pages are a little dated these days and would also need fresh content to keep them current. Could be a lot of extra work as well.

duplicating content is really bad for google,

hopefully the blog i'm going to start will help keep content fresh - will put latest articles on home page.

I'm running a prize giveaway on my page, a WEX Voucher, I figured you all deserved to know.

I appreciate the input and support you've all given

Fantastic resource!
Managed to find a specific Tamron teleconverter that I'd almost given up on.

Well done sir!

I wrote an article that was published

Pretty exciting!

I've just used this and found a great deal on an a6500. Just purchased it. It's a retailer which I've never heard of so it's fair to say I'd never have found it if it wasn't for you.

Thank you very much!

I've just used this and found a great deal on an a6500. Just purchased it. It's a retailer which I've never heard of so it's fair to say I'd never have found it if it wasn't for you.

Thank you very much!

That’s good!

A friend of mine searched for a film camera and bought it from a retailer I’d just added that morning :) never had heard of the place a week ago

Ok given this is a UK forum it seems unlikely, but I want to do the same for Europe and USA - what are the odds anyone has any input on stores? :)

I'm not sure if this would be a huge task or not, but would it be possible to build a product alert feature so that it emails you when new products are added under your particular search criteria?

I'm not sure if this would be a huge task or not, but would it be possible to build a product alert feature so that it emails you when new products are added under your particular search criteria?

I do like it, and it is on my list..

Though what comes to mind is - I've been trying to avoid storing people's details for the easy life when it comes to GDPR, if I implement it I can't put affiliate links in emails according to affiliate networks (may vary).. so I wonder about implementation...

What I have been thinking about today...

- overhaul the retailer import, instead of having 60 scheduled tasks, one for each retailer. I have a single scheduled task (cron job) which runs every few minutes. It checks if there's a retailer that needs updating and does it, it keeps track of what's running what's failed and only starts the next one with it's free.
- this paves the way for adding a lot more retailers as I conquer Europe :D

For Europe, I need to record country of origin and where they will ship to.
When a person visits the site they will specify their country and it will show results for their country and those that ship worldwide/europe

i'm thinking I do all this one the same website.

For now usedlens.eu will 301 redirect to usedlens.co.uk which will try and figure out where you're from or give you options.

If I ever get to a position where I feel I can shell out £4000 on uselens.com that will become the main URL and .co.uk will redirect to that...

Everything will be under one roof.

I'm sorry you only asked about email alerts, and I brain dumped :D

lol that's ok. It's interesting to read about.

The idea came to mind from Camera Price Buster. Your site is excellent for finding a specific lens you already have in mind, but I like the structure of Camera Price Buster to see what different lenses there are available for general browsing, although it does seem limited to more modern (and new?) stuff.

On saying that, I have been using your site for more random inputs to see if such lenses even exist, such as a Nikon fit 500mm or 600mm prime and hey presto lenses come up!

It would be awesome if you could somehow integrate a database (or knowledge base?) of lenses as well, similar to CPB. You could even go one step further and link to reviews etc.

lol that's ok. It's interesting to read about.

The idea came to mind from Camera Price Buster. Your site is excellent for finding a specific lens you already have in mind, but I like the structure of Camera Price Buster to see what different lenses there are available for general browsing, although it does seem limited to more modern (and new?) stuff.

On saying that, I have been using your site for more random inputs to see if such lenses even exist, such as a Nikon fit 500mm or 600mm prime and hey presto lenses come up!

It would be awesome if you could somehow integrate a database (or knowledge base?) of lenses as well, similar to CPB. You could even go one step further and link to reviews etc.

I would like to have a database, there is a problem with consistency of titles and linking them to master products.

I tried some comparison full text searches, and the best ranked matches were not the correct ones.

But maybe I keep playing and find a way!

hey just notice a small bug, on the page/table numbers it does automatically provide the next number once you reach the last available number and I have to click "Next" instead to go to next page.

So for example you can see below on the screenshot I am on page 3 and there is no "4" displayed just "..."
Screenshot 2020-07-19 at 09.56.17.png

hey just notice a small bug, on the page/table numbers it does automatically provide the next number once you reach the last available number and I have to click "Next" instead to go to next page.

So for example you can see below on the screenshot I am on page 3 and there is no "4" displayed just "..."
View attachment 286968

Thanks, I just reverted it back to full page numbering, I added the following code to reduce the options shown so that it fit neatly for mobile devices

$.fn.DataTable.ext.pager.numbers_length = 5;

I didn't know it affected the functionality, i'll see what I can do to implement and preserve the functionality.

I also fixed a bug last night where

"Leica M10"

was seen as two strings

"Leica
M10"

It now doesn't break at the space if it's in quotes! not sure when this happened as it should have worked properly when I first implemented it.

On filtering: would you consider adding negative values as used on other search engines? e.g. "-ebay" to drop all ebay entries from the search.

On display: I'd prefer to see a black font used for the list. Even though I'm not colour blind, I find the red difficult to read.

Back