Beginner Useful and handy guide to sensor (and camera) cleaning.

I've never given my sensor a clean, bookmarked this for future reference.

Only clean it if it needs it!

To check whether you have dust on your sensor stop your lens down as small as possible (f22 or less) and point it at something bright, evenly lit and uniform (a cloudless sky is ideal). Either take a picture or, if you have live view and can make the lens stop down when viewing then do so and examine the image for small specks. Dust is then usually easy to spot

... stop your lens down as small as possible (f22 or less) and point it at something bright, evenly lit and uniform (a cloudless sky is ideal) ...
It's also a good idea to put the lens into manual focus and ensure that it is completely out of focus when you take the picture. That helps create a uniform image.

And setting the exposure compensation to +1 or +2 stops will help too. If you don't, the camera will render the uniform frame as mid-grey. Boosting the exposure will make it white, and it's easier to see any dust specks against a bright background.

Just in case some of you haven't seen it:
Be careful though, this only applies to the Mark 2.

I'm guessing it's only a Canon user that would think of cleaning this way ;):eek::canon: Users :banana:
It's funny but A Dangerous joke I wonder how many new to photography Canon users just might try doing this ?

Last edited:
Just in case some of you haven't seen it:
Be careful though, this only applies to the Mark 2.
Haha was literally just about to post this!

Back