Using 2 Bodies, how do you switch?

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I am interested to know how the guys shooting with 2 bodies switch between the two. I have tried several ways and cant seem to settle one that suits me best and am missing shots.

Do you put the long lens on the ground/over your shoulder/anywhere else? Do you have the 2nd body round your neck/on the floor etc??

I used to keep the 2nd body round my neck but this gets uncomfrotable after a while, so leave it on the floor near my feet now.

I used to keep the 2nd body round my neck but this gets uncomfrotable after a while, so leave it on the floor near my feet now.

same here at the moment... never put the big lens down.. rest it on shoulder.

if its rainy or cold and i ahve a big coat on then small lens around neck and resting on knee.. but nice weather tee shirt then camera on floor...

Last edited:
there are double harness style straps available if you are willing to pay the costs. Rapid Strap and Slinger are the two brands I know and allow quick use of cameras, moving from hip to face and back easily. I use the Rapid mainly for weddings and it can be used a single strap if just doing general shooting on a day out or whatever.

edit: to add, depending on what and how you shoot, they may or may not be appropriate if kneeling/sitting all the time....

Big lens drops onto my shoulder but sometimes (say) for corners, free kicks etc I may rest on advertising hordings or the floor. Smaller lens around my neck always and ever since I nearly dropped it off my knee! But its really down to whichever way you feel the most comfortable.

me not quite got the hang of it :)
erk.jpg

Is that an ear trumpet you got there Kipax :)

Steve

I try and swing either the 300 or 400 to the side and grab my second body then rest it on top of the 300 or 400......so one hand on the monopod and one on the second body.

I keep the shorter lens in my lap or on the floor if I'm sitting on the floor. The grip is always uppermost for easy grabbing. Before I put it down I'll reset the zoom to it's longest setting as normally the action starts further away and comes closer so I'm sorted and ready immediately.

When I switch, I'll hold the monopod in the crook of my left arm. Often the lens or body swings round and hits me in the face which isn't nice.

If it's a corner or free kick near the edge of the box with a goal likely, I'll put the 400 down on the ground so I am able to stand and move if there is a goal and celebration - they are often over so fast that you need every advantage you can get. If the player runs straight at you or into the crowd nearby, it's good to be able to stand of move a bit, unencumbered by the big lens.

Thanks guys, i tried a few different ways last night and whilst still not perfect i think i have found a solution that i am comfortable with.

Back