Using a 1:1 dilution on your film

Edit My Images
Yes
I was in a pinch and bought some Fomadon Excel, it says to use a 1:1 ratio once it's made up from powder, so does this mean that as my tank is 290ml, I'd use 145ml water + 145ml stock?

I'm used to using ready made stuff and didn't quite understand the simple ratios!

I was in a pinch and bought some Fomadon Excel, it says to use a 1:1 ratio once it's made up from powder, so does this mean that as my tank is 290ml, I'd use 145ml water + 145ml stock?

I'm used to using ready made stuff and didn't quite understand the simple ratios!
I see from this thread that @trypdal uses this developer at 1 + 1, so hopefully he'll be along with his thoughts about it. Other web info talks about using it as undiluted stock, so that would be re-used rather than discarded.

1:1 certainly means that you need equal amounts of stock developer and water so 145 ml of each.

Thanks for the replies. I had thought about reusing the dev, I'll have to research that more later on. I'll give the half and half a crack!

I can't remember where I read it but it's supposed to be a Kodak Xtol clone.

That is correct - however, I have to say that whenever I've used Excel (or Xtol, or D76) at 1+1 dilution in such small quantities, I've had inconsistent results. I have read somewhere, but would have to check exactly where, that there is a limited minimum recommended amount of stock developer from powder x per total film surface. That figure is, again based on memory, around the 200ml/250ml mark for metol-based powder developers such as D76.

Indeed - I have had consistent results whenever I've used Excel 1+1 using a minimum of 250ml stock. So say you want to make 500ml of 1+1 solution, that would work at 1+1. Anything less than that, I would personally go for undiluted stock.

You mention 290ml total, that sounds like a very small tank, perhaps you're using the smallest Paterson for 35mm? I use 300ml of total solution for 1 35mm film with that tank, and I've definitely had better results with 300ml Excel/D76 stock than 150stock + 150 water.

Last edited:
@trypdal that tank is a little two reel 35mm/one 120 roll tank I got in a kit. If you use stock without a 1:1 dilution, was you able to reuse it and what sort of times did you use?

Edit: When you say "stock", I assume this means straight from the bottle without any additional dilution?

Last edited:
@trypdal that tank is a little two reel 35mm/one 120 roll tank I got in a kit. If you use stock without a 1:1 dilution, was you able to reuse it and what sort of times did you use?

Edit: When you say "stock", I assume this means straight from the bottle without any additional dilution?

Exactly, straight from the bottle, at least 24h after mixing it, to let it settle.

Reusing: opinions here vary - I've personally used stock solution without any change for 4-5 rolls (1 at a time). After that, I add 20% development time for the following 5 rolls, then discard.

But again, I much favour 1+1: easier to control temperature by adding cold/warm water to the stock, and more consistent results as I use and discard immediately. Better highlight control due to longer dev times. The only advantage of stock vs 1+1 in my workflow is perhaps smaller grain in 35mm. With 120, in my workflow, I have found 0 reasons for stock.

Caveat is, as stated, I use 250ml stock minimum per film, regardless of format.

Last edited:
I can't remember where I read it but it's supposed to be a Kodak Xtol clone.
Well it sounds very similar.
I use Xtol, it is powder and is mixed 1-1 stock and water.
Trouble with powder is its not very convenient for a soup of 2 or 3 films.
So you end up with figuring out some method of storing 5 liters of stock and minimizing its exposure to the air every time you use it.
Having said that, once you have a system, its miles easier than fannying about measuring ml of one shots...:)

Back