Using a flash gun for football photography

Edit My Images
Yes
Excuse my total lack of knowledge on flash photography!

Would a flash be useful for shooting football on an evening when floodlights are of a poor standard?

When I used to do football I was regularly shooting at 200mm f2.8 at speeds of 1/500th and upwards. So would a flash gun help in this situation?

I suspect you'd need a flashgun the size of a floodlight to help at the sort of distances you'll be working at. f2.8 lens and high ISO is the way forward I would think.

Got the 2.8 lens, guess I need to start saving for a D300 to cope with the high ISO better then, or in my dreams a D3!!!!

The SB800 has a useful flash range of about 66ft/20m at ISO 800 & f2.8 using the TTL function. The D300 would give you higher ISO but would not "improve" the effect of the flash - just produce a better image from the same settings (which is an excellent reason for getting one). So your coverage of a football pitch would be about the nearest 20% to you at most?

When I used to do football I was regularly shooting at 200mm f2.8 at speeds of 1/500th and upwards. So would a flash gun help in this situation?

I would love to shoot under lighting like that. No flash wouldn't help or indeed is needed.

take a look at these... http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=41748

I shot those at shutter speeds of 200 using an f2.8 so shutter speeds of 500 would be a joy.

I would staya way from flash for footy unless you bring a big lampost with you :)

NEVER use a flashgun for football photography, thats bang out of order. If the floodlights aren't good enough then look for a hotspot where the lights are best or put your camera back in your bag.

NEVER use a flashgun for football photography, thats bang out of order. If the floodlights aren't good enough then look for a hotspot where the lights are best or put your camera back in your bag.

Chill out mate. (y)

I would love to shoot under lighting like that. No flash wouldn't help or indeed is needed.

take a look at these... http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=41748

I shot those at shutter speeds of 200 using an f2.8 so shutter speeds of 500 would be a joy.

I would staya way from flash for footy unless you bring a big lampost with you :)

Those speeds I am talking about were during the Saturday matches so some daylight was present, evening I ended up not even taking my camera!

wow.. i thought you meant those during the evening... I have had those speeds at night.. recently at darlington.. new stadium brilliant lighting.. but I also get really poor lighting and down to 200 at non league grounds

I havent come accross a stadium so dark with floodlights on that it wasnt possible to get somehting. with a 2.8 and high iso you will be able to grab summat.. never go home empty handed is my motto :)

Back