Using a flash....

RobertP

TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Now I may be being daft here. I've read the instruction manual for the 580EX and I can work out what all the buttons do. I know all about the manual modes and strobe settings etc.

The one thing it does not tell me is how best to use it. Many (too many) years ago I had a SLR and a simple flashgun. You set the aperture according to a scale on the back of the gun, turned the dial to X and off you went.

Now I have choices. The gun is clever so I can use different modes on the camera and still get a picture. Other than trying it and working it out for myself there is no guidance. Maybe its supposed to be too obvious?

Aperture priority - The cameras metering is still working so in little light you get a flash and a long exposure... so thats out. Fill flash only for that one.

Shutter priority - Seems a similar story until you make it impossible for available light by having too fast a shutter...then the flash takes over and you get a good picture at max aperture.

Program Mode - well that obviously works but I would like to do it myself.

Manual - This seems to be the way to go. I can set the camera to F8 and a 250th and just let the flash do its thing. I took a load of pictures last night that way and they all came out good.

Having friends here that own cameras (SLR and digital but not DSLR) and I trust I let them use the 20D. With the camera in manual still as above they tried things I was sure would never work - like holding the camera 10" from someones face and shooting with flash. Have to say I am amazed at the result - perfect exposure and macro like detail level.

So I'm impressed with the flash but feel I have had to work out the not so blindingly obvious for myself.

ah, the joys of modern technology. I think most modern dedicated flashes know what mode the camera is in, the shutter and exposure, and can then regulate their own flash output to provide perfect exposures. Point and shoot!

As you've obviously just learned!

I think my problem stems from nearly always using aperture priority for non flash shots. Had to think about what I was doing a bit more when flash is involved.

Robert as long as you have TTL selected on the back of the flash, it doesn't much matter what mode you're working in. Personally I love it - working out guide numbers, apertures and camera to subject distances when under pressure with other things to think about isn't something I miss one bit.

I find the flash pretty damned accurate anyway, even down to macro distances which is quite incredible. You also have the advantage of checking your shots on the preview screen anyway and adjusting where necessary, which is particularly handy when you're doing bounce flash shots.

The 580EX also receives camera to subject distance from the lens, along with colour and white balance info from the camera, so most of the time you don't get much excuse to play with the buttons - sorry! :LOL:

CT said:
Robert it doesn't much matter what mode you're working in.

It is realising the implications with flash that I had to work out for myself. The fact that the camera carries on working just as it always did even though you have plonked a big flash gun on top for some reason did not register immediately.
If there is no light and there is a flash gun you still have to go beyond the possible in some modes before the flash becomes the primary source of exposure light.

It is obvious I know, but when you say set F8 in aperture priority it will flash and then keep the shutter open for a long time as if it was available light - fill flash only.

getting the best from it with bounce, diffusers, brackets whatever is something I look forward to. It is the obvious stuff that made me think for a while.

Ill be ordering my 580 this week, after visiting Jessops and finding them totally unwilling to price match (as discussed in another thread) i was told if i bought some options with it they would knock 9 quid off ! I thought that sucked so Warehousexpress can have my money instead !

Jessops = £329
WHE = £289 !

Kerso £259 delivered - and an invoice for the Canon rebate :)

Robert try setting up a simple portrait in the room where you are. Set the camera for the ambient light which will mean a fairly long shutter speed and let the flash do it's own thing. You get lovely fill shots with the background naturally illuminated, rather than harsh flash and dark backgrounds.

It's even better if you bounce the flash.

Picked mine up on Friday, had the same experience with Jessops, they wouldn't budge on the price and I spent two grand with them less than a week ago on a 5D.

So I went to a rival and got it for £285.00. I know I could of had it cheaper on the net but by buying over the counter you can always take it back if there's any problems. Love the way it knows what camera it's on. :)

IanC_UK said:
Mine was delivered this morning :)

Hmmmm toys ! :) another most wanted crossed off the must have list ;)

LOL The list is never ending! :LOL:

The 24-105 is pretty cool. Let's hope they sort out the problems with it.

I'm pretty happy for a while now. I have a bit of a gap in the lens range, but it'll have to wait. Jan's been good as gold, but I'd better not push me luck! :whistling

Just you wait until you find out what she's been buying whilst you've been distracted with your own purchases!

CT said:

I'm pretty happy for a while now. I have a bit of a gap in the lens range, but it'll have to wait. Jan's been good as gold, but I'd better not push me luck! :whistling

I think they are shipping the modded 24-105 now, is still too expensive for me at the mo lol it will fill that rather annoying gap between the 17-40 and 100-400 ;)

Im pretty much happy too mate, as you can see my list isnt too horrific now, bit expensive but not many items on it ! :)

CT said:
I'm waiting for that one to be sorted too. I currently use 70-300 DO as my walkabout lens but its a bit too long at times!

LOL she doesn't do that Sammy. It's more likely to be a case of "My turn now" and Christmas is coming! :shock:

CT said:
LOL she doesn't do that Sammy. It's more likely to be a case of "My turn now" and Christmas is coming! :shock:

Pre-empt, and buy something for her ;) Saving some money in the process.
Anything you save can then be put towards your own next purchase :D
Oops, I'm letting my secrets out now.

Infact, I'm not coming across as a very good husband am I? :p

Back