Beginner Using a Hood

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
what would be the best conditions for using a lens hood?

all the time.
its when you shouldn't that is easier to list.

its an effective method of protecting the front element of the lens which is why I use mine all the time.
thanks for the swift reply Andrew so more to the point when shouldn't I use a lens hood?

Hoods for zooms are a problem, because they're too small for the long end. So if the sun or other bright backlight is just outside the image you may find it useful to add extra shade with your hand, also just outside the image. Because what a good hood does is to decrease flare and increase contrast when light sources are partly behind the subject.

Hoods for zooms are a problem, because they're too small for the long end. So if the sun or other bright backlight is just outside the image you may find it useful to add extra shade with your hand, also just outside the image. Because what a good hood does is to decrease flare and increase contrast when light sources are partly behind the subject.

Not strictly true all the time, it depends on the lens and the hood used.

Hi ima bit of a noob and had a similar question. found a little you tube video from a professional photographer that may help you.

Hope it helps ?

Never fails to amuse (and annoy me a little, as they clearly have not RTFM), of folk wandering around London and other touristy places with reversed lens hoods on, like no one ever told them that when they took the lens out of the box, that it was like that primarily to reduce space in the box. (ok there are sometimes reasons why you might tend to do this consciously), but it is fairly clear that a lot of these people would struggle to get the camera the right way up too.

The only time I don't use a hood is when I'm using my Lee filters. I reverse the hood on my 150-500 to put it n my bag cos otherwise its waaayyyy to long to fit.

On the lenses with reversible hoods, the hoods get reversed when in the bag to save space. Out of the bag, hood goes on right way round as soon as the lens cap comes off. Got a couple of lenses that have fixed hoods and one that can't be fitted with an effective one (8mm fisheye).

I may have to start putting on my lens hood when out of the bag from now on then or you lot will crucify me if you see me :D. I only ever used it when the sun / flare was in the frame. as I am not a fan of having to faff about with it when zoomed as it sometimes creates issues when fully zoomed and I like to play around with my zoom to get the best shot i can and I am quite lazy and would rather soon than use shanks' pony to get closer to the subject :exit:

what would be the best conditions for using a lens hood?

Pretty all the time, also adds some extra security to the front element.

Generally keep the hood reversed on the lens when stored (space allowing)

I can't believe that guy in the video recommended a cheap replacement lens hood off ebay :jawdrop:

I had a £2,000 grand lens saved from serious damage by the hood when the strap on the camera failed,
It was replaced with a new nikon hood, just in case

I can't believe that guy in the video recommended a cheap replacement lens hood off ebay :jawdrop:

I had a £2,000 grand lens saved from serious damage by the hood when the strap on the camera failed,
It was replaced with a new nikon hood, just in case

Yes, that was the only thing I disagreed with really. There are some decent/cheap lens hoods to be had, but many are not that great - either in fit, or flare reduction. Canon hoods are particularly good as they're lined with black flocking, but bare plastic without any matt paint, can be quite reflective. They can pick up bright side lighting and reflect it straight into the lens, actually making things worse.

The fix I've used it self-adhesive black felt, 75p from Hobbycraft etc. Easy job, and makes for a really effective hood.

Yes, that was the only thing I disagreed with really. There are some decent/cheap lens hoods to be had, but many are not that great - either in fit, or flare reduction. Canon hoods are particularly good as they're lined with black flocking, but bare plastic without any matt paint, can be quite reflective. They can pick up bright side lighting and reflect it straight into the lens, actually making things worse.

Yes. I've bought quite a few metal lens hoods off ebay and although I admit that ebay can be a lottery the ones I've received have been perfect. A while ago I got a free plastic hood with something (I can't remember what the main purchase was...) and to be honest it's the best quality plastic lens hood I've ever had in my grubby little hands. Again, I do understand that it's a lottery but there certainly seem to be good hoods out there for a fraction of the cost of the manufacturers offerings and if you can find a good make/supplier their details are worth keeping.

Some hoods can cast a shadow if you're using the built in flash, so that's another exception to the usual rule of always using a hood.

Some cheap hoods are basically identical to the one from the camera manufacturer. But at a fraction of the price.

Some cheap hoods are basically identical to the one from the camera manufacturer. But at a fraction of the price.

I'll take your word for it, not something I am going to test out in the same circumstances as I did the original
They may all do the same job in shielding etc for taking pictures but I prefer to feel safe if something untoward happens

On SWA lenses like the Canon 10-22 I found that the use of a hood can make a massive difference with lens flare.
It also save me from a potential repair bill when I once dropped it

Last edited:
I use it all the time when out the bag. The day my mates camera fell out the car when he opened the door convienced me the protection they can provide as the hood took the brunt of the impact and broke but the nikon 17-55 was perfect

I'll confess my 135 f2 stays in the bag with the hood attached.
Not even sure where the cap is :coat:

Hoods are on all my lenses except during transportation.
The only exception is the 8-15 fisheye which you have to take the hood off when going wider than 15 :)

Last edited:
Never fails to amuse (and annoy me a little, as they clearly have not RTFM), of folk wandering around London and other touristy places with reversed lens hoods on, like no one ever told them that when they took the lens out of the box, that it was like that primarily to reduce space in the box. (ok there are sometimes reasons why you might tend to do this consciously), but it is fairly clear that a lot of these people would struggle to get the camera the right way up too.
I lot of people do this to carry it in their kit bag - a hood makes things awkward in there! Then if they don't need it (no risk of glare) they leave it in situ. I've been known to do this!

Can't get at some zoom rings with the hood reversed! Harder to get at the lens caps with the hoods fitted correctly on some lenses.

I admit I never use my hoods. I do not even know where my 24-70 hood is.
There is no absolute need for a hood, its a nice bit to have and it does remove glare ( most the time ) and it can protect you lens from damage. But if you pay attention you can avoid glare or use it as part of the image and I really would not use a hood as a lens protection device.

I use a hood all the time, even when there is no apparent need for one. Accidents happen as I found out when swapping lenses, I dropped one onto concrete (about a three foot drop) and it landed front first. Fortunately the hood saved it and even more surprising, the hood only suffered a few scratches.

I admit I never use my hoods. I do not even know where my 24-70 hood is.
There is no absolute need for a hood, its a nice bit to have and it does remove glare ( most the time ) and it can protect you lens from damage. But if you pay attention you can avoid glare or use it as part of the image and I really would not use a hood as a lens protection device.
It's not just about glare, it also improves contrast by deflecting the more imperceptible and diffused light rays glancing the front element. I tested this years ago when I first started using hoods and I was surprised how much a difference it made, even on relatively dull days.

my hood comes off when shooting through glass, so i can get the lens as close to the glass as possible, to reduce reflections in the glass. the front of my 70-200 is rubberised so you get a nice feel when close to/touching glass hth Mike

taken through the glass at whipsnade zoo

_DSC8788.jpg by Mike Rockey, on Flickr

Last edited:
my hood comes off when shooting through glass, so i can get the lens as close to the glass as possible, to reduce reflections in the glass. the front of my 70-200 is rubberised so you get a nice feel when close to/touching glass hth Mike

taken through the glass at whipsnade zoo

_DSC8788.jpg by Mike Rockey, on Flickr

(y)

But on the other hand, a rubber lens hood is very good for pressing up against the glass, especially at a slight angle.

Back