Using avi for moon photography?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Do you guys take single shots? Or do you do multiple shots and stack or record avi and stack that?

The moon is really quite bright so it doesn't need any stacking. A long lens is useful though

I've seen some shots stacked and the image really pops
I was wanting that effect. But not sure the best way to. Achieve

Single shot for me. 400mm lens (with very good OIS!) with 1.4 or 2x telecon on a crop body. If I was going to try stacking, I'd shoot multiple still shots rather than extract stills from an AVI sequence.

If I was going to try stacking, I'd shoot multiple still shots rather than extract stills from an AVI sequence.
Me too. In fact that's exactly what I have done.

If you have, say, a D3300 and a 300mm lens, the diameter of the moon is going to be around 800 pixels on a 24 MP still, but only about 250 to 300 pixels on a 1080p AVI. That's a pretty significant difference.

Folks - please stop reporting this thread as being in the wrong place, we KNOW there's no pictures and it's in a photo sharing area - BUT - theres no dedicated Talk Astro section, and we've decided that it's best to leave it here, rather than moving to the general "talk" section as it'd just get swamped, or a whole bunch of non-helpful replies.

The thing with Avi recording is that your camera will change format and record in a lower resolution than the still images could be so you'll lose quality.
Then you've the image that zoomed in, with the moon filling your viewfinder, the moon actually moves quite quickly across the sky. If you can, stick the camera on live view and just watch for about 60 secs and you'll see how fast it moves.

As mentioned the moon is actually very bright, surprisingly so, so you end up with quite a fast shutter speed even at ISO100. I've never had issues with taking single images, but if I wanted to try stacking, I'd take multiple singles.

Let us know how you get on and share the results. No time like the present, full moon, bright, crisp, clear skies albeit cold out - wrap up warm...

I don't use AVI for my moon shots but I usually hold down the cable release for around 5-6 seconds which gives me 50 shots. Then I go through them and bin any that aren't good due to atmospherics and then stack the rest. I've never really got a single shot that comes out as well as a stack.

This is from a stack

https://flic.kr/p/RULCtq

Back