Using Canon EF lenses of a full frame Canon camera

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I am a tad confused about this, I have a Canon 2000d, now one day I may upgrade to a Canon full frame camera and wish to use my existing lenses on it. Is anyone able to tell me what I would require? I believe it is some sort of attachment that goes on the camera to enable me to use the EOS mount?

Thanks

You can use EF lenses on APSC camera but not EF-S lenses on a FF EOS mount.

Think of it that the size of the lens barrel of the glass is not large enough to cover the larger sensor. (It's not really that, it's more to do with the back of the lens hitting the mirror.).

EF lenses will work just fine on your current camera - no need for any adaptor. When you upgrade to a full frame camera, any EF lenses you have used with your current camera will also work with your new full frame camera - again, no adaptor required.

EF-S lenses will work with your current camera but will not work with a full frame camera, not even with an adaptor .

Last edited:
The EF mount is being replaced by the R mount. At the present time Canon has an adapter that allows EF lenses to be used on their new R Mount cameras. You cannot use R mount lenses on either EF or EF-s camera bodies.

The EF mount is being replaced by the R mount. At the present time Canon has an adapter that allows EF lenses to be used on their new R Mount cameras. You cannot use R mount lenses on either EF or EF-s camera bodies.
The R mount is not a replacement, it is an alternative mount for a different series of cameras. EOS cameras will continue to use EF lenses.

Sorry I thought that Canon are now developing and investing in the R mount not the the EF mount, hence my use of the word replacement.

EF lenses will work just fine on your current camera - no need for any adaptor. When you upgrade to a full frame camera, any EF lenses you have used with your current camera will also work with your new full frame camera - again, no adaptor required.

EF-S lenses will work with your current camera but will not work with a full frame camera, not even with an adaptor .
They will work with an adaptor on R series bodies, although you end up with a much smaller image (in MP terms)

Back