Using images on social media and website

Name
MG
Edit My Images
No
Having a look online and this isn't really clear to me.

I'm doing free shoots as part of a camera club so often get different types of models. Looking to use these in my portfolio to build it up. We also use some paid models. No agreements or anything done.

What are the Uk laws around using images from shoots on social media, flickr and personal website to show off our work?

Everything from babies, toddlers, teenagers, mature etc.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi Mark model release forms would put everything on a much firmer basis and avoid the risk of any issues coming up. There are templates online you can download and use or modify as you need. Doesn't take a minute to complete and the words set out clearly model and photographer expectations.

Ask your club - they must have an agreement in place with the models, or they wouldn't turn up. Someone at the club has to arrange these folks, that means an arrangement has had to be made, you just need to find out what that arrangement is.

Ask your club - they must have an agreement in place with the models, or they wouldn't turn up. Someone at the club has to arrange these folks, that means an arrangement has had to be made, you just need to find out what that arrangement is.
You'd think.. but it's the most least organised club in the world. Models tend to just be friends of people at the club.

It depends on where you take the pictures. If you are in a public place, such as a park or on the beach, then the old "in public, your face is public" applies. If you are in a private place, such as a studio, then might want to clear the use with the model.

You'd think.. but it's the most least organised club in the world. Models tend to just be friends of people at the club.

So they might be - they still need to know which night and what time to turn up, possibly what clothes to bring/wear. Therefore and arrangement has been made!

The problem with online resources is they're often based on the US legal system, where the premise of 'model release' is central to any shoot.

In the U.K. there's no legal requirement for a model release. You really ought to have all your ducks in a row before a shoot, but as a general rule, if you haven't got a contract that limits what you can do with an image, then you can do what you like.

Quick question:
When a model poses for images shot by a bunch of strangers, in exchange for cash or images, do you really think they expect those images will be held privately?*

So the advice I'd give:
1, try to ensure that in future you know what the model expects.

2, for the images you already have, publish but try to contact the models to notify them, don't knock yourself out if you can't find them

* models pose for 'exposure', anyone who thinks it's 'weird' that a model is OK for you post images of them online should consider how 'weird' it would be for a model to pose for half a dozen strangers who only want to view those images in private. :oops: :$

Hi Mark model release forms would put everything on a much firmer basis and avoid the risk of any issues coming up. There are templates online you can download and use or modify as you need. Doesn't take a minute to complete and the words set out clearly model and photographer expectations.
Take a look at RPS website. they have UK model release forms I believe.

Back