Using Photoshop - Screen Set To 72dpi but Image Is 300dpi?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm working on an image with PS, have just noticed that I can change the dpi that the screen is set at (currently 72dpi). As my image is 300dpi, what if any difference would it make to change the screen's dpi?

I'm working on an image with PS, have just noticed that I can change the dpi that the screen is set at (currently 72dpi). As my image is 300dpi, what if any difference would it make to change the screen's dpi?
As far as I have always been aware.....not a jot!

You only need to be concerned with what you output the file as e.g a 6000 X 4000pixel image @300dpi compared to say the same pixel dimensions @150dpi the result will not be the same for the identical print size used!

Its' Pixels per inch, and it all depends on the resolution and size your monitor is and is capable of? you will have a max number of pixels per inch and that is it you cannot make it go any more :)

Unless you're involved in something like magazine production, you can just ignore dpi, ppi etc. for the screen and the image. Your image size is measured in pixels, not inches. The screen dpi is only used if you tell PS to display the image as 'actual size', which is pretty much meaningless. When you're printing, the dpi/ppi is just the number of pixels divided by the number of inches, not the value stored in the image, unless you resample the image when you print.

The dpi is only for printing.
Your camera just loads the pixel data, it does not produce or load at 72dpi, 300dpi, or any other dpi.

The software just puts a default figure in the ppi/dpi box. A lot of software still put 72ppi/dpi as AFAIK this used to be the standard monitor pixel resolution, therefore it gave an idea of the size the image would be on that standard monitor. Other software may stick 300 ppi/dpi in the box.

Nowadays monitors have different resolutions and different pixel sizes so ignore the dpi/ppi figure for everything except printing.

The picture data may be, for example, 3000 pixels by 2000 pixels, if you want to print a picture that is 10 inches wide then you need to print at 300 pixels per inch, or 300ppi (or confusingly dpi in some software) as 3000 pixels/10 inches = 300ppi.

Alternatively if you definitely want to print at 300ppi then you need to change the number of pixels to ensure that you get the correct size print. You can change the number of pixels using software to either take away or add pixels by using the Resampling option.

Don't worry about it, just ignore it and just carry on with whatever work you want to do with Photoshop. Leave your images at 300dpi as it is.

Usually 300dpi is more useful for printing out your images, either your own home printing, or the photos published by the printers.

Usually 72dpi is more useful for viewing on screen, like uploading your images to websites, for other people to look at.

Usually 72dpi is more useful for viewing on screen, like uploading your images to websites, for other people to look at.
Well not really, all that matters are the pixel dimensions, you are right in saying to ignore it and leave the image at 300ppi.

Back