Using Raw

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I have tried using raw on the Fx1 and finding it useful when things look a little out here and there, mainly on over exposure. I did manage to get a few family photos in raw, and tidied them up nicely. But I can tend to get a little carried away, and don't know when to stop. I have decided I will only use raw when I take family photos, that I feel I or family members may cherish a little more. But for general happy family snaps, I will leave raw off, I know it's lazy but I feel it's a little time consuming for general use.

It doesn't have to be. If you shoot Raw by default, when you just want to produce quick images, allow the software to batch convert to exactly what your camera JPEGs would have been.

Whilst you're shooting, if you capture something that warrants the PP you have the option. You can't go back and turn on Raw after the fact.

I think the main differentiator is if you use something like lightroom or manually have to convert them. With LR it's as easy to shoot raw as jpg

It doesn't have to be. If you shoot Raw by default, when you just want to produce quick images, allow the software to batch convert to exactly what your camera JPEGs would have been.
Do you mean batch convert in camera ? As I thought batch converting could not be done in camera ! Mind you, I suppose it would be just as easy on computer, if not easier.

Last edited:
Do you mean batch convert in camera ? As I thought batch converting could not be done in camera ! Mind you, I suppose it would be just as easy on computer, if not easier.
On the computer, download and convert.

I think the main differentiator is if you use something like lightroom or manually have to convert them. With LR it's as easy to shoot raw as jpg

Not always.. LR is very poor at handling some raw formats.

Even with raw formats LR handles well, it's only ever "almost as easy", because LR always introduces extra steps to the workflow.

Can you shoot both at the same time? my Pentax will save a JPEG and a RAW image at the same time, that way when you have more time you could go back to the RAW file and have a play with that, best of both worlds.

Can you shoot both at the same time? my Pentax will save a JPEG and a RAW image at the same time, that way when you have more time you could go back to the RAW file and have a play with that, best of both worlds.

Yes both Raw + JPeg can be recorded I was thinking of this option, but it may end up being too time consuming.

I am only using the silkypix Raw file converter that came with the camera, so I am assuming this will probably be a very basic converter that I am using. Maybe I should get something better, but I am not really very well up on using and converting raw files.

Last edited:
Not always.. LR is very poor at handling some raw formats.

Even with raw formats LR handles well, it's only ever "almost as easy", because LR always introduces extra steps to the workflow.

Well, it's not great with my Fuji but its perfect for most, e.g. canon, Nikon etc. There are zero extra steps, if you shoot raw plus jpg then LR will automatically ignore the jpg and just import raw when jpg dupes exist...

It depends on the camera, but most modern DSLRs - and many older ones - will let you shoot both simultaneously. Some cameras have two card slots and can be set up to capture JPEG and raw on separate cards, or a back up on the second one.

I am only using the silkypix Raw file converter that came with the camera,

That may explain a few things. I had to use that once as the Raw format from a camera made it compulsory a the time. I would not have shot raw if I had to use SilkyPix.

As long as Apple supports the makers raw version then for me using raw is no harder or easier than using JPEG. Files load straight to iPhoto where I can then make very quick and basic editing.

That may explain a few things. I had to use that once as the Raw format from a camera made it compulsory a the time. I would not have shot raw if I had to use SilkyPix.

As long as Apple supports the makers raw version then for me using raw is no harder or easier than using JPEG. Files load straight to iPhoto where I can then make very quick and basic editing.

iphoto is for Mac so I wont be able to use that, I will have a look and see what other options I have.

Well, it's not great with my Fuji

LR is extremely bad with Fuji raw files, I'm hoping the rumoured update next week will see a giant leap forward.

In what way? I dont see any difference between importing xf1 files and d7000 files?

I should have been more specific, LR is extremely bad at handling Fuji raw files from X-trans sensors (X-Pro1, etc). I would expect raw files from the Bayer-pattern Fuji sensors to be handled ok.

I'm on 4.3 and they just look a bit nasty. Try loading both RAW and JPG of same image and zoom in. They look weird. The X-Trans sensor does trick things like changes ISO on areas of the sensor to give additional dynamic range etc (I think) and I guess it complicates matters when Adobe try and reverse engineer it. The in camera JPGs on my X-F1 are much better, provided you turn down the awful in camera noise reduction. The in-camera RAW conversion is excellent tho.

I'm on LR 5.3 and just can't get the same results with LR that I can get using in-camera raw-JPG processing with an X-Pro1. Iridient Developer seems to be the current front-runner with x-trans raw files, but this is Mac only.

I find myself shooting raw+JPG, and if I don't like the JPG I reprocess the shot in-camera from the raw. But it could just be that the JPG profiles Fuji have put in the camera are just too good.. ;)

Back