Using SB-800 flash wirelessly with D300

Edit My Images
Yes
Just a quick question, I just picked up a SB800 and trying to get my head around how to set up the wireless command.

I've managed to get the built-in flash to command the SB800 but I'd like to know whether I have to activate the built-in flash on the D300 to get the SB800 to fire?

In other words, can I only have the SB800 fire wirelessly without having the built-in flash fire as well?

Just a quick question, I just picked up a SB800 and trying to get my head around how to set up the wireless command.

I've managed to get the built-in flash to command the SB800 but I'd like to know whether I have to activate the built-in flash on the D300 to get the SB800 to fire?

In other words, can I only have the SB800 fire wirelessly without having the built-in flash fire as well?

I asked this question when I got my D200. You will be able to fire your SB800 using the D300 wirelessly. Find the entry in the menu for "Built-in Flash mode" and select Commander Mode then on the next screen you can set a CHANNEL number set this and select OK

Now on the SB800 you need to also set this to the correct mode and channel and the camera will activate the flash without the need to fire the internal flash - Sorry the instructions fizzled out there but I have the camera next to me but the flash isn't. If nobody has added the flash bits by tomorrow I will :)

The onboard flash, or at least the infrared part of the light it emits, is required to trigger the SB-800 if using CLS.

There are ways of preventing the visible light being emitted, the official way is by using an SG-3IR over the onboard flash.

set the onboard flash to '--' in the commander mode. that way it will only emit the pre flash info for the cls and not affect your shot.

You need to pop up the on board flash and go to Menu > Custom Setting Menu (Pencil symbol on the left) > e Bracketing/Flash > e3 Built in flash > Commander Mode. Go to the first box right of where it says Built in and scroll down until -- is entered in the box. You are now able to fire a remote gun without using the onboard flash although the pre-flash will still fire.

Yeah I have the right settings, i.e. built-in flash on -- under commander mode. I can get the SB800 to fire wirelessly but I just can't get it to fire without the in-built flash firing as well.

I take it this is the preview flash but it seems to be flashing at exactly the same time as the SB800?:shrug:

I had the same problem but managed to sort it so that it was not flashing the internal flash at all only the sb800 from my d200. I will check later but I thought I posted it aged ago so it might be worth searching previous posts.

Yeah I have the right settings, i.e. built-in flash on -- under commander mode. I can get the SB800 to fire wirelessly but I just can't get it to fire without the in-built flash firing as well.

I take it this is the preview flash but it seems to be flashing at exactly the same time as the SB800?:shrug:

What you've got to remember is that the the preview flash is fired a split second prior to the main flash, it may look like your on-board is firing at the same time as the SB-800 but you will probably find that it is not, try putting the SB-800 at 90 degrees to your subject to test for shadows, if the on-board is firing you will notice the shadow fill.

hope this helps.

Back