Using speedlights in a studio setup?

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Are there any major downsides to using speedlights over studio lights apart from the battery and recycle times?

Thanks

Plus no modelling lamp and modest power, and not ideal for some modifiers designed to be used with a bare-bulb type flash tube.

Hmm true, I'm just getting started - so for the time being I think I can make do with 5 speedlights till the work comes in to justify the upgrade? :)

The biggest issues are:

• Price (unless you're using the absolute cheapest speedlights - they're a lot of £ for the power)
  • Recycling times
  • Absolute power
  • Modelling lights
  • Attachment of modifiers.

If you take this as a typically inexpensive studio head. £70

And this as a typically inexpensive speedlight, which will need a mount for a modifier / stand / brolly £70

With no cost saving, what's the point?

Even if you scrimp on the cost of the speedlight, and buy a brolly bracket instead of the useful s type bracket, you're going to save £20 max, now bearing in mind the limitations, it makes no sense to me.

If you've already got the speedlights, then go for it, if not, spend your money wisely.

But you're going to buy proper lights anywa at some point, so you'll end up having wasted money on triggers and brackets, as well as time (proper lights are much quicker learning tools)

Just remember that the light source is fairly insignificant in the GSOT, the modifiers are the important bit.

Thanks Phil, that flash looks great for the price - I already had 4 speedlights though with triggers (Yongnuo 560 III's) so have bought a 5th and have spent £130 on 2x 150cm and 2x109cm umbrellas. I think while I'm still learning and mastering it speedlights will be fine for a learning base until I then start playing with proper studio lights.

I can only speak for speedlites as that's all i've used. I don't have a studio, so for me, portability is key. I can pop the speedlites in my camera bag and pop them on a couple of stands, have them stood on a set of p.a. speakers, get someone to hold them etc etc without the need for wires, plugs and so on. Having said that, if i had dedicated studio space, i would invest in lights specifically to have them in the studio, but it would be the speedlites that would be with me on location.

I can only speak for speedlites as that's all i've used. I don't have a studio, so for me, portability is key. I can pop the speedlites in my camera bag and pop them on a couple of stands, have them stood on a set of p.a. speakers, get someone to hold them etc etc without the need for wires, plugs and so on. Having said that, if i had dedicated studio space, i would invest in lights specifically to have them in the studio, but it would be the speedlites that would be with me on location.

Yeah, I do a lot of event photography so use the speedlights a lot for that - studio work however is a new ball game for me. Only just got the space for a studio having got an office and had some space to have the studio!

Thanks Phil, that flash looks great for the price - I already had 4 speedlights though with triggers (Yongnuo 560 III's) so have bought a 5th and have spent £130 on 2x 150cm and 2x109cm umbrellas. I think while I'm still learning and mastering it speedlights will be fine for a learning base until I then start playing with proper studio lights.

You'll soon learn the limitations of that kit :)

What are you going to need 4 lights with brollies for?

Light isn't always about adding enough, it's more important to be able to control where it lands, and for that softboxes, reflectors and grids are the modifiers of choice, and flags and reflectors to further control.

Last edited:
At weddings, indoors I generally use speedlights too, but outside to fight sunlight I like to have the power available sometimes (battery powered studio type flash or hybrid)

You'll soon learn the limitations of that kit :)

What are you going to need 4 lights with brollies for?

Light isn't always about adding enough, it's more important to be able to control where it lands, and for that softboxes, reflectors and grids are the modifiers of choice, and flags and reflectors to further control.

I figured I'd use 2 of the smaller brollies to light a backdrop, and 2 big ones for key/fill light and a barebone flash as hair/backlight. Feel free to tell me this is wrong, I'm still learning. :)

I figured I'd use 2 of the smaller brollies to light a backdrop, and 2 big ones for key/fill light and a barebone flash as hair/backlight. Feel free to tell me this is wrong, I'm still learning. :)
It'd work, (if that's what you want to achieve) be prepared to experiment with zoom positions. It's also a lot to go wrong when learning to light, I'd usually advise buying 2 but start shooting with 1 flash (there's 1 sun). The shooting equivalent would be going out on your first trip with 2 cameras a tripod and lenses from 16 to 400mm; it clearly makes more sense to learn one thing at a time. There's a reason training courses start simple.

But unless you crank the ISO right up, I can see your first frustration being recycle times. Expressions are fleeting and we often want to shoot as soon as the mirror is back down.

Long story short. I started with 4 speedlights. I now have studio heads - bought some lencarta heads - amazing value.

For indoor controlled situations - studio heads every time. That's not to say that I don't add a speedlight hair light (ironically it intermittently fired last time I did that!)

Listen to Phil. He is wise!

A lot of people who have never used studio heads seem to have the idea that they're somehow difficult and clumsy, whereas speedlites are small and easy and reassuringly familiar. It's actually the other way around!

Sure, studio heads are bigger than speedlites but they're hardly difficult to handle. The big and cumbersome part is the stands and softboxes, and of course they're exactly the same either way. Controls couldn't be easier - basically a power control knob plus on/off switches for the modelling lamp and optical slave. That's it.

There no faffing with mounting brackets and stuff, and softboxes etc fit straight on with the flash tube in the ideal position for best light. And in performance terms, they simply have speedlites beaten every which way. Prices start at under £100.

If you're anywhere nears a mains socket, studio heads are made for the job (y)

A lot of people who have never used studio heads seem to have the idea that they're somehow difficult and clumsy, whereas speedlites are small and easy and reassuringly familiar. It's actually the other way around!

Sure, studio heads are bigger than speedlites but they're hardly difficult to handle. The big and cumbersome part is the stands and softboxes, and of course they're exactly the same either way. Controls couldn't be easier - basically a power control knob plus on/off switches for the modelling lamp and optical slave. That's it.

There no faffing with mounting brackets and stuff, and softboxes etc fit straight on with the flash tube in the ideal position for best light. And in performance terms, they simply have speedlites beaten every which way. Prices start at under £100.

If you're anywhere nears a mains socket, studio heads are made for the job (y)
I completely agree, and basically it's the fast recycling and the modelling lamp that makes the difference that should be obvious to everyone - the better liqht quality when used with softboxes and the higher power is perhaps less obvious.

There's a very well known American product placement site that basically says that speedlights can do everything - but they would say that wouldn't they? - and they've done a very good job of convincing people that black is the new white...

Cool, you've all swayed me! My studio has loads of power outlets so perfect really, going to learn the basics and practice with speedlights - then upgrade to studio heads asap. :)

Cool, you've all swayed me! My studio has loads of power outlets so perfect really, going to learn the basics and practice with speedlights - then upgrade to studio heads asap. :)
Arse about face but...
it's what you'll do. :p

Edit: crossed post with Phil LOL

Cool (y)

But do it the other way around. Learning with studio flash is just so much easier, preferably with one light for starters. With the modelling lamp, you can see exactly what's happening to the shadows/highlights/catchlights as you move the stand around. Don't forget changes with distance too :)

Studio heads mixed with speedlites is a good combination. As secondary effects lights, speedlites often have sufficient power when turned down a bit for fast recycle, and once set up the lack of a modelling lamp doesn't matter.

ps With portraits, 99% of the time it's all about the main key light. Even if there are a dozen other lights doing different things in different areas (and they will usually have an unavoidable knock-on effect all over the image) it's the key light does the lion's share of the work.

Back