Using tights as a diffusion filter... real world experience anyone?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
The internet is full of top tips for stretching tights over a lens for a soft focus effect, but there's very little out there by way of sample images. Most of the good stuff is about how to attach net to the rear element of a lens for cinematography. I'm going to play with some stuff over the front element rather than the rear, though.

Does anyone here have any recent experience? Wide or narrow mesh? Colour? Denier? Leave a hole in the middle or not? Lighting will obviously make a big difference, but what about aperture?

My current thinking is wide mesh, opaque black 15 denier with a hole left in the middle to return some sharpness.

There's 2 reasons this isn't done nowadays:
1, soft focus has fallen out of fashion somewhat.
2, it's easier to do SF in post, allowing more control than you can achieve in camera.

Not an answer to your question I know.

But IIRC I used to use black opaque medium denier. I used to have a filter sized frame I could use for home made filters, (late 80's) and when I threw it out about 10 years ago, I'm sure that's what was stretched across it.

There's 2 reasons this isn't done nowadays:
1, soft focus has fallen out of fashion somewhat.
2, it's easier to do SF in post, allowing more control than you can achieve in camera.

Not an answer to your question I know.

But IIRC I used to use black opaque medium denier. I used to have a filter sized frame I could use for home made filters, (late 80's) and when I threw it out about 10 years ago, I'm sure that's what was stretched across it.

Thanks! I knew someone would have done it. Fashion doesn't worry me over much - as Mrs J will no doubt testify - and I'm interested to see what the real thing looks like without splashing out on a Tiffen Black Mist filter. There are almost too many options when it comes to doing it in post and since I'm attempting another vintage glamour style shoot it seemed appropriate to do it the old-fashioned way*

*I'm aware that some of the old-fashioned techniques involved adding diffusion during the enlargement & printing process.

Thanks! I knew someone would have done it. Fashion doesn't worry me over much - as Mrs J will no doubt testify - and I'm interested to see what the real thing looks like without splashing out on a Tiffen Black Mist filter. There are almost too many options when it comes to doing it in post and since I'm attempting another vintage glamour style shoot it seemed appropriate to do it the old-fashioned way*

*I'm aware that some of the old-fashioned techniques involved adding diffusion during the enlargement & printing process.
Actually, adding diffusion during printing from negatives wasn't a convincing alternative, as the diffusion spreads highlights, during printing it actually spreads the shadows. Weird but it'd convince most people.
You'll still get the other advantage of digital, seeing the results of your experimentation live.

Crikey, takes me back more years than I want to think about.
Never really got on with using tights as there was little control on the softening other than aperture.
Vaseline on a dedicated UV filter was a much better option for me, if my memory is not failing ;)

Crikey, takes me back more years than I want to think about.
Never really got on with using tights as there was little control on the softening other than aperture.
Vaseline on a dedicated UV filter was a much better option for me, if my memory is not failing ;)

I've recently read that KY Jelly is better 'cos it washes off again and is colour-neutral. But it's not just softening I'm after so much as the diffusion and halation effects.

Last edited:
I've recently read that KY Jelly is better 'cos it washes off again. But it's not just softening I'm after so much as the diffusion and halation effects.

LOL, dont think KY was available back then and yes, vaseline was a pain to remove.
Seem to remember I had a book about special effects, some were more effective than others.
I believe black tights were more effective, but also played with pale ones for high key effects.
Best bet is to try it and see how you get on, so much easier now you can get instant feedback on the results.

I've recently read that KY Jelly is better 'cos it washes off again and is colour-neutral. But it's not just softening I'm after so much as the diffusion and halation effects.
Or is this just a ruse to borrow some of the Mrs' stockings and stock up on KY gel? :exit:

Canon do a 135 f2.8 soft focus lens.

Back