Using TLR cameras

Edit My Images
Yes
I've never picked up a TLR in my life so forgive the stupid question. You don't need to put your eye close to the viewfinder, right? The focussing screen is so big you can hang the camera at your waist and look down? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick somewhere?

you got it absolutely right. The ground glass ( the big piece of focussing glass you are talking about) creates a huge and wonderful picture; but inverted laterally. There is also a magnifying glass which can be popped out to help accurate focussing.

Incidentally, its the same for waist level finder ( WLF) for medium format SLRs such as Bronica, mamiya etc.

Some people love WLF it so much that they refuse to use a prism finder in the MF SLRs

The lateral inversion takes a few shots to get used to ( it took me, anyways)

You can do both actually :)
There's usually a flip up/down magnifier that you can put your eye close to for really critical focusing. But as you say, the screen is perfectly big enough to use at waist level too.

cheers

I've never picked up a TLR in my life so forgive the stupid question. You don't need to put your eye close to the viewfinder, right? The focussing screen is so big you can hang the camera at your waist and look down? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick somewhere?

nope thats about right - need to watch for parellax errors when your composing though

I have a C220, take a while to get used to but you have to love WLF on 6x6!

I agree. I borrowed a Mamiya very briefly back in the 80s and the WLF did take some getting used to, what with me using 35mm SLR's. But the quality of the pictures more than made up for it. I really liked the 6x6 format.

I agree. I borrowed a Mamiya very briefly back in the 80s and the WLF did take some getting used to, what with me using 35mm SLR's. But the quality of the pictures more than made up for it. I really liked the 6x6 format.

I have a Zeiss Nettar 6x6 folder as well, relatively with excellent results!

Tempted to trade up the nettar and C220 for a SLR 6x6

Thanks folks! I hoped that was true but couldn't confirm it. A waist level viewfinder is a really appealing idea. I'll have to see if I can give one a try :)

Incidentally, its the same for waist level finder ( WLF) for medium format SLRs such as Bronica, mamiya etc.

Thanks, that's good to know. I hadn't realised any other cameras had that feature.

Back