Using uhs i sd card in R5

Name
Chris Yates
Edit My Images
No
Just seeing if anyone has done this, obviously there will be a speed issue however if I was using it with a cf express card, and set the SD to JPEGs, I don't have the R5 yet, just trying to price out things, I already have a few V30 cards for with my current camera, then upgrading, the new camera, EF to RF adapter, spare battery, CF card and the reader for the pc, it would be great to not drop another couple hundred on a fancy SD card for now, as I am trying to move around the globe right now so the extra saving would be great, it would be a temp thing as I will upgrade once I get settled.

thanks in advance guys

It will probably flash up a message about card not fast enough but you will be able to use it for less demanding recording.
I don't think you'd gain much recording JPG over RAW.
The issues would be burst mode and high bitrate video

I have the Sony A7Siii and have two of the 128GB UHSii Kingston canvas cards.
They have been faultless and only one particularly demanding record setting which I never use would need the alternative CF Express A cards
The supplied card readers (for UHSii) are actually pretty useful and read normal cards faster too I think.
I bought two for about £150 they have probably gone up a bit by the look of it, but worth shopping round.

Last edited:
It will probably flash up a message about card not fast enough but you will be able to use it for less demanding recording.
I don't think you'd gain much recording JPG over RAW.
The issues would be burst mode and high bitrate video

I have the Sony A7Siii and have two of the 128GB UHSii Kingston canvas cards.
They have been faultless and only one particularly demanding record setting which I never use would need the alternative CF Express A cards
The supplied card readers (for UHSii) are actually pretty useful and read normal cards faster too I think.
I bought two for about £150 they have probably gone up a bit by the look of it, but worth shopping round.

The only reason I was thinking JPEG was smaller files since it will probably clog up the buffer?

I plan on using some of the higher end video options so I know I will need the cf express card, so I want to focus on getting a decent sized one of those to start with, so I was more thinking of having the card in there as a backup in case something went wrong with the cf card, once I settle with finding work and stuff I will grab a couple V90 cards and probably a backup cf card too, but for the first few months it will I assume be ok just running the one card (cross's fingers)

I'm really struggling with cards and speed with mine. Main one is a Prograde 256gb one which occasionally will flash up errors. I was also recording some 8k the other day, and it said card not fast enough...!?

Wondering if its just a dodgy make, they seemed pretty positive on amazon, but I've learned to not trust them too much!!

I'm really struggling with cards and speed with mine. Main one is a Prograde 256gb one which occasionally will flash up errors. I was also recording some 8k the other day, and it said card not fast enough...!?

Wondering if its just a dodgy make, they seemed pretty positive on amazon, but I've learned to not trust them too much!!
is this your SD card or the CF card? I was looking at the prograde card too

I’ve tried a few different SD cards on my R5 for stills and they all have worked ok all that happens is that on the cheapie cards you hit the buffer after a while
At the moment I’m using Transcend xc2 v90 cards 64 GB they are pretty fast I can take a lot of raws before the buffer fills and they are pretty cheap I bought a few
I haven’t got round to getting a CFexpress card yet when I looked into it there was conflicting information about which was the best to get

Last edited:
I’ve tried a few different SD cards on my R5 for stills and they all have worked ok all that happens is that on the cheapie cards you hit the buffer after a while
At the moment I’m using Transcend xc2 v90 cards 64 GB they are pretty fast I can take a lot of raws before the buffer fills and they are pretty cheap I bought a few
I haven’t got round to getting a CFexpress card yet when I looked into it there was conflicting information about which was the best to get
good to know, thank you!

I've got a Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB for my R5 - I was going to buy two 64GB but the 128GB has a faster write speed.
Early days but so far no issues

I think i had one of these, worked great

Hi,

Can I ask how you got on with this card? I am thinking of getting the 256GB version but not many reviews out there.

The dreaded "up to" keywords are putting me off, like up to 70% off in a sales pitch...

Thanks.

So looking at that very confusing chart,,, the card I bought is not actually advised for use with the Canon R5 right? Crazy!
ya I'm bebating between the sandisk 128 or just spending the extra and getting the 325gb off of that chart, but at the same time spending almost £400 kinda defeats the point of this whole thread lol

I think i had one of these, worked great

Hi,

Can I ask how you got on with this card? I am thinking of getting the 256GB version but not many reviews out there.

The dreaded "up to" keywords are putting me off, like up to 70% off in a sales pitch...

Thanks.
for the R5, I think personally I'd spend the extra £20 for the "cine" version, purely as it has 8k and 4K 120fps on the front of the box, more so because if it then doesn't work I can return it and not be stuck with a card that isn't good enough

Back