UV Filters, do they really do anything?

Name
Edit My Images
No
Im heading up to the lake district at the end of the month and was thinking of solutions for fixing haze effects on colour film. B&W is easy enough as you can just slap a yellow filter on but colour youre a bit stuck.

Just looking at the Lee site with their different UV filters here. Does anyone use one and maybe have a before and after shot on a landscape they could link? its just a lot of money if they dont really do much.

Apart from as protection, UV filters are not really needed these days as colour films have been quite insensitive to UV for years, its just an old problem that most don't seem to realise has been solved years ago.

If you want to cut down on haze then try a.... Haze filter! Their essentially similar to UV filters but cut off a slight amount of the violet in the visible spectrum as well and have a slight yellow tint. I've not used one personally but they can be quite effective from what I remember reading on them.

^This.

Also, a little irrelevant, but with digital they are redundant other than for protection, as the sensors have UV and IR filters on them.

^This.

Also, a little irrelevant, but with digital they are redundant other than for protection, as the sensors have UV and IR filters on them.

Well I'm still seeing blue haze with my d800 so they can't be that effective. Didn't realise film should do a bit of filtering off its own back though so fingers crossed then.

Back