UV filters

Edit My Images
No
Canon EOS 650D with stock kit lens 18-55mm EF-S. Would you spend £20 of so on a Hoya Pro UV filter, or £3.50 on the cheapest possible, or loads of cash on something else? Mainly for protection rather than anything else at the moment, I'm not too worried about effects or what have you at the moment until I learn some more etc.

:cool:

Personally I don't use UV's just the hood for protection, but if I was to buy one it would be the Hoya pro.

When I started the topic the forum software searched for relevant threads, and it volunteered two which didn't answer the question I asked. A proper forum search for "cheap + UV + filters" revealed many threads with cheap in, many, many with filters in, and not a great deal with UV in. So I thought the "Talk Basics" forum would be a good place to ask. :cool:

I also did a search and couldn't really find anything relevant.

I sometimes use my camera in dusty environments and so I bought some cheap UV filters (and I mean really cheap...) I noticed that after fitting this my shots were a bit "off"... some soft-focus issues and I couldn't really put my finger on it.

So... I bought a relatively expensive B+W UV filter and have noticed that the shots are much much better - I'm aware that I don't really need a UV filter, but I like the fact that I don't have to worry about dirt/grit/whatever potentially scratching the front element of my lenses.

Horses for courses I s'pose...

No matter. I searched Google and the first few results have yielded some relevant answers. (y)

Yep, that's the way I'm heading mate. I was looking at some on Ebay for £9 delivered, but having found out what they can do to confuse your lenses autofocus systems etc. I think I'll head for something better.

Use a lens hood for protection and don't use UV filters.

Some lenses (not the 18-55) require a filter to complete weather sealing, I use Hoya Pro as it's cheaper than B+W but it's almost as good.

cheap UV filters are not worth the effort of the post man, they degrade image quality and doesn't offer any protection what so ever. Expensive UV filters doesn't actually do anything in this day and age, apart from offer some protection.

So for a £50 kit lens, you don't need to spend £50 on a UV filter. It's better to spend £50 to pick up another one than baby sit the lens with a UV filter.

Thanks Wuyan. Point noted about the cheap lens vs expensive filters. False economy really.

With regard to the Hoya (these were my initial choice before pondering really cheap ones), what's the benefits of the Pro series over the standard HMC range, and is it worth the extra cost?

Hi, On the kit lens NO because although a good starter lens not really top quality now the next question will be "I bought a 70-200mm IS canon lens for £1,200 what filter should I use for protection"? my answer again would be NONE because I cannot see the point of buying a £1,200 lens then degrading the class quality by putting a filter over the front of it unless of course you are using something like LEE filters for an affect you wish to achieve.
All JMO
Russ

Not this old thread again, you have a lens worth hundreds of pounds so why put a cheap piece of glass in front of it, let the hood take the strain.....:)

If you really want some kind of filter in front of the lens, how about a clear filter ? a lot cheaper then the same brand UV filter. Digital sensor already got a UV filter in front of the sensor there is no need to have another UV filter in front of the lens. Nikon already discontinued their line of UV filter more then 10 years ago.

On the subject of lens hoods, they don't affect removal of the lens cap at all, do they? I have big fingers... :LOL:

Ah, I has expecting that answer. I couldn't see how the hood would allow the side pinch cap to fit. The shopping list gets longer.

It only takes a split second to remove a hood then reverse it to fit backwards when finished.

Example:
1-DSCF2538.JPG

When I started out I put fairly expensive good quality UV filters on all my lenses. I spent around £200+ on half a dozen filters that had been recommended by the salesperson, he must of see 'mug' written on my forehead. The IQ didn't seem to be too badly affected on my 550D with any of the lenses so all was well.

I was then left some money in a will so I decided to upgrade my camera and get some L lenses. I got a 7D, 100mm macro and 100-400 L and again put the same filters on both lenses. The IQ was so bad that I was going to send my 7D back, all the photos from all my lenses were very soft and lacked contrast. I ended up going for a shoot in a local woods and forgot to put the filter on my 100-400 and was amazed at the IQ difference when I put them on the computer.

Now I always shoot with a hood and no filter, unless I'm going to be in a very dusty, sandy or very wet environment and then I'll put a filter on just for the extra bit of protection. The only filters I usually take with me now is a CPL and even that doesn't get used often. The only lens I don't use a hood on is my 100 L macro but that usually has a ringflash on the front so its front element is still well protected. Between me and the mrs we now have around a dozen lenses and none of them has a filter on it all the time.

Back