UV lights for alternative processes

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I have recently become intrigued with the cyanotype process, having been given a Silverprint cyanotype kit as a gift.
I am happy with the process of creating my contact prints up to the point of relying on the sun! The light is so variable that it is frustratingly difficult to monitor the exposure times with any degree of uniformity.
I am looking to invest in some type of UV light box to standardise things. I have tried a UV lamp from a vivarium set up which has not been successful.
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding suitable strip lights so I can build my own setup. I am usnsure what type to get and where to get them from. I will be hoping to print to A3 size from a digitally produced negative.
Has anyone gone through this process and be willing to share their ideas and designs?

Do you know if there is a specific frequency that works best? Might be easier to rig up a load of LEDs behind a diffuser. But LED's have a very small frequency range so they might not do the job.

I vaguely remember an article in a magazine a few years ago, where they were doing this, and the place that ran the course had a converted A3 lightbox that they used, with UV tubes instead of the normal white fluro tubes... this was a few years ago, and I doubt i've still got the magazine to check for further details.

Thanks for the replies guys:

Steven, i'm not sure of the specific frequencies, I have found my research a little confusing particularly UVA and UVB lighting. I need to research more!

Nick, thanks for the link, not had a chance to read it all, as i'm at work, but will have read later.

Mark, I hadnt thought about taking my lightbox apart, will explore that when I get home.

you can get uv cathode tubes of variable quality too, was big thing for custom pcs awhile back

Am,ateur Photographer have been running a series of articles on alternative processes and I've just trawled back to see if I had the one on Cyanotypes. You're in luck! It was after I was ill so I did get that copy. Cover date is Saturday 1st December 2012.

Reading the article, the expert says he uses a face tanning light for up to A4 prints so a full length tanning light should do bigger (or a few fluorescent fittings and a few tanning lamps to fit?).

The expert says he prefers the results he gets from sunlight but as you say, that's rather variable! Using the tanning light, he seems to think that 10-15 minutes gives good results.

Good luck!

Having read through the link that Nick posted I have invested in some Metal Halide lighting, bought from the local Hydroponics shop. The bulbs designed to promote early growth of young plants apparently give more light in the UV/blue spectrum which hopefully will give better results for the contact printing. If all else fails I can always go into cannabis production!!!!

Back