Vanguard Alta Pro2+ 263AB 100 vs Benro GoPlus FGP28A

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
I'm new to photography and looking for my first tripod. I've been researching for weeks but need help from those more experienced about what to choose.

I've decided on two options; either the newly released Vanguard Alta Pro2+ 263AB 100 which comes with a ballhead for £200, and has a weight load capacity of 7kg. The Benro GoPlus FGP28A is a travel folding tripod which comes without a head for about £160, but has a load capacity of 14kg. I have a Canon 70D with a 18-135 lens, which weighs 1.2kg together. The heaviest lens I can imagine putting on it is a 70-200 for a total of 2.3kg. I've read that you should get a tripod that supports 3x the weight of the heaviest camera & lens combo you use. The vanguard falls would fall into that category even if I had a 2.3kg combo.

So what do you think I should do? They're both similar tripods, but will the Benro's 14kg load capacity be a more stable tripod if I can hang more weight from the centre column for example or is 14kg overkill?

Hi Andrew I had the same dilemma a few weeks ago,if you thought choosing a camera is hard a tripod is a nightmare !

Although I can't give you at the moment any positive feedback,but I have just had the Vanguard Alta pro delivered yesterday,it was a choice between the Redsnapper or Manfrotto models but I just liked the Vanguard.I will give it a try with a 70/300 lens together with a grad,filter & stopper sometime today,if you check my thread a couple of weeks ago it may give you some additional information.

I've got the Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 and a Benro Mach 3 TMA 28A and much prefer the Benro, its more stable and rigid as well as simple to to set up as theres no fancy centre column mechanism but instead a separate (supplied) short centre column for low level shots,

Hi Andrew I had the same dilemma a few weeks ago,if you thought choosing a camera is hard a tripod is a nightmare !

Although I can't give you at the moment any positive feedback,but I have just had the Vanguard Alta pro delivered yesterday,it was a choice between the Redsnapper or Manfrotto models but I just liked the Vanguard.I will give it a try with a 70/300 lens together with a grad,filter & stopper sometime today,if you check my thread a couple of weeks ago it may give you some additional information.

Thanks, I'll go check it out! Hope you're liking the Alta Pro! :D

Back