Vantage points for sunsets - Northumberland

Name
Lorraine
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, can anyone suggest any good points for capturing sunsets in Northumberland? Ideally somewhere south of Alnwick/Rothbury?

Download the free (for PCs and Macs) Photographer's Ephemeris -

http://photoephemeris.com/

which will give you the time and direction of the sunrise,

and then have a look at the OS map of the area. This will help with landmarks - hills, churches, fields, woods, etc that may help to get an interesting shot.

Dave

Having walked along simonside yesterday I feel that a sunset there could be quite rewarding. Simonside is the hill that overlooks Rothbury on its south side.

Yes I would agree Simonside is worth trying, you can see the Aln snaking across the valley to the west if the sun is right.
There's often climbers up there too if things don't work out.

Thanks guys. I know Simonside pretty well and the views from the crags are fantastic. I guess I'm being a little bit lazy not wanting to carry my kit up there. I know they've done a lot of work on the path in the last few years, but I'd be a bit worried in case I slid and fell coming down in the dusk.

I'll ask round my friends to see if anyone fancies a twilight stroll :-D

It might be a little late but last week there were quite a few straw bales in fields from Rothbury through Netherton and beyond that could make a good sunset pic?

they may have been brought in now though so bare fields won't be as exciting ;)

Thanks Adrian, haybales is a good idea :)

I did find some square bales beside Netherwitton a couple of weekends ago, but that was in the afternoon and I couldn't get back at night. We've had quite a few rainy days in the last week or so, so I think the farmers have been trying to get the crops in as quickly as they can, but there might be the odd field to be found.

I'm hoping to go to the Robin Hood tree on the Roman Wall at the weekend if the weather's not too bad, it'll be afternoon rather than evening though

Thanks Adrian, haybales is a good idea :)

I did find some square bales beside Netherwitton a couple of weekends ago, but that was in the afternoon and I couldn't get back at night. We've had quite a few rainy days in the last week or so, so I think the farmers have been trying to get the crops in as quickly as they can, but there might be the odd field to be found.

I'm hoping to go to the Robin Hood tree on the Roman Wall at the weekend if the weather's not too bad, it'll be afternoon rather than evening though

We drove past there last week. Unfortunately we'd hit a heavy rain fall when walking near Hadrian's wall and on the way back we did stop but it wasn't worth getting out of the car. I can see it being a fantastic shot if the light is kind.

Likewise on that road you are near Vindolanda, the roman fort and there were some stunning panoramas nearby.

Hi the TPE was free a while ago, but it’s on the app site IOS at £19.99 unless Ive got it wrong,
kind regards Mike

Back