Vaping and driving

But don't use fog lamps when roads are only wet! God that's annoying and dangeroos

I vape and drive! Don't hold it all the time! It's in cup holder! I use it quickly at roundabouts or junctions

Last crash I had was a slow one ....... Within mile of home....... Was checking my emails and car in front stalled[emoji30]

Which nicely demonstrates the point - I think it is much safer to just use them all the time. Like when the sun shines, and have the sun behind you. Lights aren't just there to see, but also to be seen. Just a little appreciation of the situation and common sense is all that is required.
Way back in my motorcycling days, I left home before dawn to go to work with my lights on. By the time I got to work, it was a bright sunny day. The bit that struck me was car drivers, instead of refusing to see me at junctions and such, all flashed me to tell me I still had my lights on. I never rode my bike without having the lights on after that.

Using headlights in seriously reduced visibility IS required by law.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/25/made

and that depends on a person idea of reduced visibility, when I bought the subject of dark vehicles appearing like ghost ships in
drizzly conditions, I was slated for it not being a legal requirement !
Whilst I agree with you, it is once again down to interpretation and common sense, I prefer to be seen

The definition of reduced visibility in the UK is laid down as less than 400 yds on Motorways and less than 200 yds on other roads, but yes, people's judgement of those distances varies wildly. :)

That's very much an "each to their own" decision.
I use them in inclement weather, but find it utterly pointless (and annoying) when cars are zipping around on a bright sunny day. :)
You find it annoying and pointless that you can see vehicles on a sunny day? Seriously?

You find it annoying and pointless that you can see vehicles on a sunny day? Seriously?

Read my post again JP, that's not what I said, is it?
On a bright sunny day, I can see vehicles perfectly well without them having their headlights on.
Anyone who can't, has no business driving.

Read my post again JP, that's not what I said, is it?
On a bright sunny day, I can see vehicles perfectly well without them having their headlights on.
Anyone who can't, has no business driving.
Actually it is what you said and you are saying it again. When the sun is behind a vehicle approaching you it is infinitely more visible when it uses its headlight, same with bikers or any other mode of transport. I'm pretty when tested you can't either, it's just how eyes work.

Actually it is what you said and you are saying it again. When the sun is behind a vehicle approaching you it is infinitely more visible when it uses its headlight, same with bikers or any other mode of transport. I'm pretty when tested you can't either, it's just how eyes work.

You're being very disingenuous JP.
We'll agree to disagree in this occasion, as I have no desire to argue with you.

The use of fog lights is under 100 yards visibility ! Not raining or when it's dark ! Boils my p*** that one does! It interferes with brake lights and so can't see em!

I wonder when it happened that we got so lazy and for many people the reaction is to just ban everything they don't agree with. As dave mentioned earlier the lawsame are already there to deal with a situation is you are not in control of a vehicle.

I just don't get these extreme reactions people have.
Most of the driver aids in cars are derived out of safety. There really is no excuse than to do anything else but drive whilst you are driving. That is why we are heading towards fully autonomous cars and more and more of the technology is appearing on cars, just so motorists can do anything else but actually get on with what they are supposed to be doing.

A few years back I got a call from my local garage owner asking if I could to some MOT runs for him to the MOT place 5 miles up the road.
One of the cars I bought back was a lovely old split screen Morris !000, no ABS, no power steering and NO indicators
0 to 30 eventually if you were brave enough and half a mile to stop (ok so I'm exaggerating a bit) and double de-clutching
Luckily although not a legal requirement I was taught hand signals when learning to drive, this did entail having only one had on the
wheel for quite a while, which didn't worry me that much.
Drivers today have life so easy with all the mod cons, one wonders how you would all cope if things went wrong and you suddenly had to drive a car on your own
judgement without all the add ons. and far more people smoked back then
As hand signals are still in the highway code, I should imagine new motorists would have to know them should a cars indicators fail.

As hand signals are still in the highway code, I should imagine new motorists would have to know them should a cars indicators fail.

Possibly but I didn't use them in my test :thinking: and neither of my kids has any idea what they are, both taught by driving schools
But it does require you to take your hand off the wheel for a significant amount of time, even if no one knows what the flapping arm means :LOL:

The use of fog lights is under 100 yards visibility ! Not raining or when it's dark ! Boils my p*** that one does! It interferes with brake lights and so can't see em!
New cars have had separate high level brake lights for the last 20yrs. That will make up the vast majority of cars you will see on the road. So you should be able to see the brake lights even when fog lights are on. Apart from which I'm sure you will be able to see normal brake lights anyway when the fog lights are on because you still have to make that distinction in fog.

Possibly but I didn't use them in my test :thinking: and neither of my kids has any idea what they are, both taught by driving schools
But it does require you to take your hand off the wheel for a significant amount of time, even if no one knows what the flapping arm means :LOL:
But that is a significant amount of time whilst braking or slowing down at a controllable speed and also something that seldom has to be used anymore.

Taking an occasional sip of an already open drink isn't dangerous.
Nor is the act of holding a cigarette between your fingers with both hands on the wheel.

Taking an occasional sip of an already open drink isn't dangerous.
Nor is the act of holding a cigarette between your fingers with both hands on the wheel.
No one mentioned holding a cigarette between your fingers, but you can't do that with an e-cig.
Permanently holding a drink is dangerous, as you are delaying having full control of the car. You are likely to take your eyes off the road to grab it from a cup holder, that time is all it takes for someone to pull out on you, walk out in front of you etc. Why take the chance, none of it is a necessity. It may not be the law, but do we really need to make laws to make everything right, when you have the power within to do it for yourself.

No one mentioned holding a cigarette between your fingers, but you can't do that with an e-cig.
Permanently holding a drink is dangerous, as you are delaying having full control of the car. You are likely to take your eyes off the road to grab it from a cup holder, that time is all it takes for someone to pull out on you, walk out in front of you etc. Why take the chance, none of it is a necessity. It may not be the law, but do we really need to make laws to make everything right, when you have the power within to do it for yourself.

I have an ecig that is the same size as a fag, so yes you can.

I also don't need to even glance away from the road to take a water bottle out of the cup holder, sip, and replace, so with the greatest of respect, you're talking twaddle. :)

There is no doubt about it that buggering about in the car be it smoking, vaping, eating, phone, text, cup holders, fiddling with the stereo, ipod, sa nav etc blah.

all take your attention away from the road and we are all a bit guilty of this.
The trick is as someone said to take responsibility for your actions and think things through.

If the OP thinks it is a bit stupid then it probably is.

I note the files and points are going up for being caught on the phone and driving to 6 points and a much bigger ine.....good

I have an ecig that is the same size as a fag, so yes you can.

I also don't need to even glance away from the road to take a water bottle out of the cup holder, sip, and replace, so with the greatest of respect, you're talking twaddle. :)
Unless you have a straw in that bottle as the level drops, the amount of time you are obscuring your own vision increases with each sip. So no I'm not talking twaddle. You may not need to glance away to reach for the bottle but unless your hand is already resting on it, or the bottle is already in view without averting your eyes or turning your head, their is a high percentage possibility you will glance in it's direction when you are about to reach for it. It's an in built instinct for confirmation. You just don't realise you have done it.

Unless you have a straw in that bottle as the level drops, the amount of time you are obscuring your own vision increases with each sip. So no I'm not talking twaddle. You may not need to glance away to reach for the bottle but unless your hand is already resting on it, or the bottle is already in view without averting your eyes or turning your head, their is a high percentage possibility you will glance in it's direction when you are about to reach for it. It's an in built instinct for confirmation. You just don't realise you have done it.
Forgive me but sound an incredible nervous driver. Common sense would suggest you time your moment right ;)

But that is a significant amount of time whilst braking or slowing down at a controllable speed and also something that seldom has to be used anymore.

and perhaps far more concentration by the driver ?
Common sense being what it is these days, necessitates the need for all these so called improvements, possibly cause lack of concentration,
what happens when things fail............................... well we all know the answer to that :(

I don't need to glance to pick it up or return it..not even briefly.
I don't need to look where it is to know where it is.
And yes, it's a double walled bottle for chilling and yes it has a permanent straw (which cannot fall out, before you start).
So....anything else? :)

God id die of boredom instead!

Not even sure how you even come close to that assumption.
Fairly simply actually, purely by what you've post in this thread. It actually surprised me how you make something so fun sound so stressful and difficult. Just my observation I'm sure you'd disagree.

I think irrespective of how careful we think we are we probably do a lot of things subconsciously whem driving which may have a negative impact on our awareness whilst driving.

Just this morning i was having a chat with my colleague who i sit beside and he dropped his e cig whilst driving. Even though he kept his eyes on the road (he says) as he leaned down to get it he veered into the kerb (probably due to leaning to far) and busted his tyre.

To me he is lucky its only his tyre that was affected by making such a careless decision.

Fairly simply actually, purely by what you've post in this thread. It actually surprised me how you make something so fun sound so stressful and difficult. Just my observation I'm sure you'd disagree.
I don't find driving stressful 95% of the time, that's why I don't need a stress release whilst driving, which could include the need to eat, drink or smoke or any combination. I'm intrigued to know exactly what I have posted that would lead you to believe I find it stressful. I love driving, I look forward to my next opportunity to get behind the wheel. The only thing I do get stressed about is the mincers and bad drivers who can spoil the experience. Much easier to try and watch the road and other road users, attempt to prejudge their actions, so I can continue to enjoy the experience as much as possible.

I think irrespective of how careful we think we are we probably do a lot of things subconsciously whem driving which may have a negative impact on our awareness whilst driving.

Just this morning i was having a chat with my colleague who i sit beside and he dropped his e cig whilst driving. Even though he kept his eyes on the road (he says) as he leaned down to get it he veered into the kerb (probably due to leaning to far) and busted his tyre.

To me he is lucky its only his tyre that was affected by making such a careless decision.
That is it exactly. There is a very high possibility that he glanced down to see where it was first, as it will speed up locating it or deciding whether it can be reached. But you just don't realise you have done it.

A sensible person would have stopped when safe to do so and then pick it up without leaning whilst driving.

I don't find driving stressful 95% of the time, that's why I don't need a stress release whilst driving, which could include the need to eat, drink or smoke or any combination. I'm intrigued to know exactly what I have posted that would lead you to believe I find it stressful. I love driving, I look forward to my next opportunity to get behind the wheel. The only thing I do get stressed about is the mincers and bad drivers who can spoil the experience. Much easier to try and watch the road and other road users, attempt to prejudge their actions, so I can continue to enjoy the experience as much as possible.
I find that keeping hydrated for example is really good to maintain concentration. You came across as very resolute against any such activity and keeping hand on the wheel at all time. Likewise with bad drivers, just give them the distance to be stupid and don't get stressed about it. Anyway that is just my opinion.

i'm a smoker but i never smoke in the car, first and foremost i don't like the smell and a car smelling of stale smoke isn't very pleasant at all for me never mind the passengers
i do have a cup full of mints in the car which distracts the craving should it arise
on a long journey there's always somewhere to pull over and get out of the car if i need to smoke and that's exactly what i do, short journeys are neither here nor there

as far as the legislation on smoking in cars is concerned i'm pretty sure e-cigs was not part of it but as already posted if it affects your driving other laws can be used
the smoking legislation came about for health reasons and not really to do with driving safety, i do remember a case about a woman eating a banana that got fined

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/woman-slips-up-shes-fined-5959012

it looks like eating whilst driving can get you in trouble

A sensible person would have stopped when safe to do so and then pick it up without leaning whilst driving.

I completely agree.
The item was dropped, therefore he had no idea where it had come to rest.
Very different from a drink placed in the same cupholder day in day out. (Same bottle too).

i'm a smoker but i never smoke in the car, first and foremost i don't like the smell and a car smelling of stale smoke isn't very pleasant at all for me never mind the passengers
i do have a cup full of mints in the car which distracts the craving should it arise
on a long journey there's always somewhere to pull over and get out of the car if i need to smoke and that's exactly what i do, short journeys are neither here nor there

as far as the legislation on smoking in cars is concerned i'm pretty sure e-cigs was not part of it but as already posted if it affects your driving other laws can be used
the smoking legislation came about for health reasons and not really to do with driving safety, i do remember a case about a woman eating a banana that got fined

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/woman-slips-up-shes-fined-5959012

it looks like eating whilst driving can get you in trouble

She was basically penalised for further peeling it at the wheel, not the act of eating it....the case with most cases of the type; is opening the chocolate bar, peeling the orange, unscrewing the lid off a bottle.

the case with most cases of the type; is opening the chocolate bar, peeling the orange, unscrewing the lid off a bottle.

Whilst true, I'm pretty sure the plod will issue a CD10 beyond just those examples if they believe you to be driving without due care and attention.
The whole drinking and eating whilst driving I find to be a very grey area because of the fact it's not illegal but your actions can still be brought to justice.

I find that keeping hydrated for example is really good to maintain concentration.
You can do that before you start any journey. If your in the car long enough to require rehydrating, there's a good chance you need a quick break from driving and a possible toilet break anyway.

From that Mirror article.

Although eating while driving is not an offence, anyone distracted behind the wheel or failing to operate their vehicle correctly because they are eating could be committing an offence of driving without due care and attention, or not being in proper control of a vehicle.

Sensible or not, there is still a high chance anyone will still look to see where it landed.

Back