Vaping and driving

Decapitation?

Nope, Throat Cancer, Doctor told him if he continued to Smoke than the chances of it returning was greater than 75%.

So he stopped there and then, more than 5 yrs ago still clear. Food taste better & Smells Better, Speech clearer, no longer smells of Baccy, etc.

Just stopped after 40 years smoking, cough was getting worse and didn't fancy ending my days with COPD.

Not easy, mental and physical withdrawal symptoms from whole body, ailments too numerous to mention.

Been eighteen months now, lungs still ocasionally clearing out the crud and sinuses have gone haywire since I packed up. Had lung function test and chest x-ray on GP advice and thankfully appear to have avoided anything awful.

Different views on stopping, personally it was all or nothing, but if patches, gum or electric fags work for others go for it.

Not so sure about the vapour things being used instead of tobacco, do wonder if they might turn out to be harmful in the long term.

Or at least a much less UNhealthy option!

Come on then, enlighten me how your body compensates for things which are outside of your field of vision on your right. Your left eye can't increase it's field of vision, you can only turn your head so far, so without extra mirrors you can't fully compensate for the loss of your peripheral field of vision. Hence there will be some impact on your abilities and how you drive.

vans don't have rear windows and l can use the 2 side mirrors perfectly well, not everyone needs loads
of gizmos to drive safely

Last edited:
Vaping and driving is nothing compared to a day I had out once with a rep. Driving at 100 mph on A127, steering with his knees, phone in the crook of his neck while he took notes with pen and pad in his hands.:jawdrop:

vans don't have rear windows and l can use the 2 side mirrors perfectly well, not everyone needs loads
of gizmos to drive safely
Some vans do. I'm sorry but the standard mirrors will only give you a certain view, they still have blind spots, sure you can move your head to see better but then you are reducing the area of vision to your left by doing so. An additional mirror on your right will reduce your need to look right and increase your field of vision.
Not every junction for instance is a perfect 90 degs. Some junctions due to layout mean that if you want to turn left, you have to look over your right shoulder to see if any traffic is approaching from the right. Due to your near blindness in your right eye, this will cause you problems, your mirrors won't be of any good and you are likely to have to stop, probably open your keep fit window, stick your head out and look back to see. A strategically placed mirror will negate the need to do all that, you would be able to see just as easily as someone with a full field of vision, who doesn't need to stop fully and doesn't need to stick their head out of the window.
I'm intrigued to know what all these gizmos are that you are hung up on and think people need to use to drive safely. And you have the audacity to accuse me of driving around in my own personal bubble.

Vaping and driving is nothing compared to a day I had out once with a rep. Driving at 100 mph on A127, steering with his knees, phone in the crook of his neck while he took notes with pen and pad in his hands.:jawdrop:
I find most of the A127 is full of cars doing 50mph in the inside lane, meaning lorries in the outside lane, think yourself lucky you managed to get up to 100mph. Most days I'm lucky if I can get up to 70 and if I do it's only for a very short stretch.

Some vans do. I'm sorry but the standard mirrors will only give you a certain view, they still have blind spots, sure you can move your head to see better but then you are reducing the area of vision to your left by doing so.

I'm going to leave this conversation, you truly have no idea of my abilities

I'm going to leave this conversation, you truly have no idea of my abilities
Not really hard for anyone to replicate. Still if you want to keep your head buried in the sand, that is up to you, I guess you just can't help some people.

Is vapour 'healthy' though? Too early to say i guess. For me, its still smoking!
You are not burning tobacco, the process is actually very different compared to smoking. Nicotine in itself is actually not damaging, very addictive but not damaging as far as I am aware.

However I agree on the liquids used to vape, there is a lot of money to be made, and when there is a lot of money to be made there are unscrupulous people who will try and make a quick buck and cut corners and get all sorts of crap in there. In the early days I thought it was ok, but now it is so popular that nobody has a clue. And worse Internet taught 'chemists' are making up their own liquid with no training or trials whatsoever. I'm sure there will be other side affects.

Nicotine is a poison and has been used as an insecticide (possibly still is.) While Wiki isn't all knowing, it's generally reasonable on things like this so... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine

Nicotine is a poison and has been used as an insecticide (possibly still is.) While Wiki isn't all knowing, it's generally reasonable on things like this so... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine
In the quantities that a normal cigarette has it, it really is the harmless medication. In normaly liquids for vaping that was the case as well. Although I know there are plenty of silly people about who seriously increase the strength of it.

I have a feeling that there have been a couple of cases where a child has got hold of a bottle of it and drank some. I'm sure some Googling will find some cases for you. The fact remains that Nicotine IS a poison although (as JP says) in normal doses it's relatively harmless.

This was in the 1990s.
Back in the days of it being mostly 70mph limit instead of all the stupid lower speed limits they have implemented for no good reason in various places.

I have a feeling that there have been a couple of cases where a child has got hold of a bottle of it and drank some. I'm sure some Googling will find some cases for you. The fact remains that Nicotine IS a poison although (as JP says) in normal doses it's relatively harmless.

You could say that about just about any substance...including water.

:puke:............sorry guys, forgot I started this, so whats the verdict, I only take the odd puff on short journeys, but do hold it on longer journeys

Not really hard for anyone to replicate. Still if you want to keep your head buried in the sand, that is up to you, I guess you just can't help some people.

Neil, I'm also virtually blind in my right eye and, if I turn my head, I can see out of the rear, right hand passenger window without having to adjust my seat position*. No-one's burying heir head in the sand, they're just not you and you're not them.

*Might I suggest that, if you're unable to turn your head this far, maybe you should see your GP. Maybe he/she could refer you for physiotherapy in order to improve mobility in your neck.

Neil, I'm also virtually blind in my right eye and, if I turn my head, I can see out of the rear, right hand passenger window without having to adjust my seat position*. No-one's burying heir head in the sand, they're just not you and you're not them.

*Might I suggest that, if you're unable to turn your head this far, maybe you should see your GP. Maybe he/she could refer you for physiotherapy in order to improve mobility in your neck.

As l said before Marc, the human body/brain is amazing at compensating for disabilities, closing one eye to try and emulate what we have doesn't work.
I've said before as well that vans don't normally have rear windows, so you use the mirrors and position the vehicle differently at junctions so you can see.

Well put Marc, people think sight loss means hanging up the driving gloves, how wrong they are, I too have no sight out of my left eye yet passed my test like this, my GP and Optrician test me regular and advise on new eyewear, a stiff neck is something different, I have had one for a few days and that does make driving harder

I'm a vaper (as will become apparent with my choice of subject photo's). I think with driving, its best use a tank mainly, the law (has as being pointed out) is unclear on this at the moment, but obviously common sense must come into play. You don't want to fill the car with vape. Also remember to clean the inside of the windscreen more often as the VG/PG can build a think film up on the glass.

You could say that about just about any substance...including water.

The LD50 of water is rather higher than the current estimate of 0.5 - 1g for Nicotine.

The LD50 of water is rather higher than the current estimate of 0.5 - 1g for Nicotine.

It's still toxic in quantities.

Isn't the problem with overdosing on water more that it dilutes the body's solutions through osmosis rather than having toxic properties?

Isn't the problem with overdosing on water more that it dilutes the body's solutions through osmosis rather than having toxic properties?

Does the means of the problem matter?
The fact remains that the over ingestion of water can result in very unpleasant side effects, and in the extreme, to organ failure and ultimately death.

Why is it so difficult for you to accept that the over ingestion of ANY substance can be toxic?

Hell, even thalidomide is a bloody good drug under controlled circumstances.

Yes. Something being actually toxic rather than resulting in unpleasant side effects after ingesting "gross amounts".

The relatively small amount of Nicotine that can cause death compared to the huge amount of water puts the 2 chemicals in entirely different categories as far as being poisons goes, although, as you say, the excessive consumption of anything can cause problems. (See, I have NO problems accepting that undeniable fact, although you seem to think I do for some reason.)

Yup, Thalidomide is a great drug for its original purpose but when some doctors gave in to patient pressure and prescribed it for morning sickness, it created a problem. Let's not forget that Heroin is a widely used medication for pain relief (although the trade name is now generally reserved for the less refined street drug) as is synthetic Cocaine.

Some people are happy only with the commonest denominator.

*Might I suggest you read my posts properly. Nowhere have I said I have a problem turning my head. I can quite easily see out of the rear passenger window, just by moving my eyes to the right, if I turn my head to the right I can see out of the rear window as well, but that isn't necessary as I can use the rear view mirror for that.
Think of it logically you turn your head to look right, you have just reduced your view of everything on your left as your field of vision has moved around to the right. An extra mirror will give you a full view.

As l said before Marc, the human body/brain is amazing at compensating for disabilities, closing one eye to try and emulate what we have doesn't work.
I've said before as well that vans don't normally have rear windows, so you use the mirrors and position the vehicle differently at junctions so you can see.
Shutting one eye is just the quickest and easiest method, there are other ways. You can't always position the vehicle differently at junctions, there are two such junctions I know of as I described earlier where if you are turning left, the traffic approaching from the right will be coming at you from over your right shoulder. You can't pull up at 90 degs to the approaching traffic, because you will have the front end of your car in the right turn lane and the rear end of your car in the straight ahead lane, not an ideal place to be at the best of times and certainly not when your intention is to turn left.

It's still toxic in quantities.
It's a combination of quantity, time and the level of natural sodium in the body. Get the combination wrong and it's fatal, If the sodium level is good and the period of time over which the water or any fluid for that matter isn't too short the kidneys can cope with it and there won't be any adverse effects.

*Might I suggest you read my posts properly. Nowhere have I said I have a problem turning my head. I can quite easily see out of the rear passenger window, just by moving my eyes to the right, if I turn my head to the right I can see out of the rear window as well, but that isn't necessary as I can use the rear view mirror for that.
Think of it logically you turn your head to look right, you have just reduced your view of everything on your left as your field of vision has moved around to the right. An extra mirror will give you a full view.

It was your intimation that being blind in the right eye meant that Ingrid wouldn't be able to turn her head far enough to see out the rear right hand passenger window without shifting position in her seat. This implies that, if you close your right eye, the same would apply to you (or me for that matter). As I stated, I don't have to shift my position in my seat to do so so I can only summise that you have difficulty in this area or are you just making assumptions about other people?

As for not having to turn your head to see out of the rear passenger window, are you saying that your peripheral vision is enough to see behind you?

It was your intimation that being blind in the right eye meant that Ingrid wouldn't be able to turn her head far enough to see out the rear right hand passenger window without shifting position in her seat. This implies that, if you close your right eye, the same would apply to you (or me for that matter). As I stated, I don't have to shift my position in my seat to do so so I can only summise that you have difficulty in this area or are you just making assumptions about other people?

As for not having to turn your head to see out of the rear passenger window, are you saying that your peripheral vision is enough to see behind you?
Yes I can see just behind me through my peripheral vision, both to the left and to the right. As I sit here with my back to a wall I can see the wall to either side and it is a good 5"-6" behind me.

Back