Varying aspect ratios.

Name
Janice
Edit My Images
Yes
If you are doing a portrait, when you offer the photos at the various sizes..... how does the cropping work?

You cant just have the one photo and order various sizes from photobox can you, because A4 is a different ratio of edges than 6X4 etc etc.
There will either be bits missing,....or white edges added....or I will have to have lots of diff sizes of each photo...what a pain.

We use photobox a lot....when I edit my work I always crop to an A4 with 300 dpi. which I then upload, I have worked out that it fits exactly into 7by5 I think it is...If they want a different size then I'm afraid if they don't want it cropped or white edges then you must upload the correct size ;)

no doubt I'll learn more when the big boys wake up! ;)

Presumably then the other option is to make sure that if you DO crop then you crop to a 3:2 ratio size? Having said that it still won't help when it comes to printing 10" x 8" prints, will it. :thinking:

Hmmm - have you tried getting/buying off the shelve frames for 10 x 8? They're becoming a but rare. What's becoming the vogue? .... A4. Everything changes - sadly not necessarily for the better. :(

I HAD hoped to offer:
6”x4”
7”x5”
8”x6”
10”x8”
A4
(A3) 16”x12”
20”x16”
(A2) 24”x16”
30”x20”

Mind you...with portraits I can always leave lots of edges.

Hmmm - have you tried getting/buying off the shelve frames for 10 x 8? They're becoming a but rare. What's becoming the vogue? .... A4. Everything changes - sadly not necessarily for the better. :(

The Range do an excellent selection of picture frames - and plenty of 10 x 8's. (I only know 'cos I was lookig yesterday!)

What is impossible to get though, is a frame for a 12" x 5" pano shot!

None of you lot heard of framing shops? :LOL:

Seriously though, they're not as expensive as you might think...

I tell my customers what they can have. And I only offer a handful of sizes. Too much choice gets too confusing for them, and is more work for me ;)

I know this is probably a dumb question, but how do you tell what the ratio is straight off the camera so to speak?

I have a Canon S1, and took a load of pictures with it "filling the frame" so to speak only to find that there was areas cropped off when they were printed. When you view the pictures on a PC everything looks ok, I assumes its something to do with these ratios?

Regards,

Pete

Probably Pete.

I usually crop the original shot as soon as it enters photoshop to A4 @ 300dpi. (You can make specific pre-set sizes in the crop tool for all your requirements.) This one will print out perfectly on an A4 page.

If you then make another crop tool of say 10X8...you will notice as you drag it across the A4 picture on your screen......... it isnt the same ratio and the sides will be chopped off as it is a squarer size.

Its the ratio of the edges to each other we are talking about...whether it is a squarer looking photo or a longer looking photo etc.

8X10" is 1:1.25

4X6" is 1:1.5

A4 is 1:1.4

5X7" is 1:1.4 also (which is why Marianne said that A4 and 7X5 have the same ratio.)

LOL Nightmare tbh! :D

For years (and still so in many places) frames came in the standard 10X8 inches and 5X4 inches formats. The simple reason is that 10X8 represents a full frame contact print from a full plate camera and 5X4 inches a contact print from a half plate camera, which just goes to show how outdated these sizes are.

I know this is probably a dumb question, but how do you tell what the ratio is straight off the camera so to speak?
With my ID mk11n max image size is 3504 X 2336 (pixels) to find the aspect ratio divide the smaller number into the larger one which gives you 1.5 which equates to an aspect ratio of 3:2.

Along the same lines. If you have an odd shaped picture that you want to have framed how do you get it printed?? The only thing I could think of was to make a blank canvas the correct size then plop the pic inside of it, have it printed and crop away the excess. Is that the only way?

Along the same lines. If you have an odd shaped picture that you want to have framed how do you get it printed?? The only thing I could think of was to make a blank canvas the correct size then plop the pic inside of it, have it printed and crop away the excess. Is that the only way?

No. The obvious way is to get a frame which is larger than your print, but get a matte surround cut, (or do it yourself ) which exactly matches the size of your print. :)

That does make sense but is that still the best way to get it printed? In my case the pic is 8 x 4 3/4 should I have it printed on A4 then?

I'd say so. Have it printed on a larger sheet of paper then cut it down to the actual size.

Tip: If you're going to be doing a lot of this invest in a rotary guillotine/trimmer. ;)

I can "borrow" the one from work for now. but you're right that is defintely the way to go.

Renee

CT,

It would seem that the various resolution settings on the camera all equal 1.333 which I am guessing gives me an aspect ratio of approx 7:5??
I must confess it never occurred to me that company's would'nt continue using the same aspect ratio as 35mm...I was convinced I had the printer configuration incorrect or doing something else dumb!

Regards,

Pete

The Range do an excellent selection of picture frames - and plenty of 10 x 8's. (I only know 'cos I was lookig yesterday!)

What is impossible to get though, is a frame for a 12" x 5" pano shot!

True but you could get a mount cut and stick it in one these £3.50 frames from Ikea that's meant for 3 7x5's

tpf1.jpg

Thats exactly what I do with odd shaped photos....... open a new page in Photoshop of A4 or some other standars size and drop the photo onto it.
I think they look good with a nice white surround like yours here, I wouldnt cut it I dont think.

I keep all my edited files as full size tifs, then crop them per size ordered for printing.

CT,

It would seem that the various resolution settings on the camera all equal 1.333 which I am guessing gives me an aspect ratio of approx 7:5??
I must confess it never occurred to me that company's would'nt continue using the same aspect ratio as 35mm...I was convinced I had the printer configuration incorrect or doing something else dumb!

Regards,

Pete

4:3 to be exact. :)

LOL Nightmare tbh! :D

For years (and still so in many places) frames came in the standard 10X8 inches and 5X4 inches formats. The simple reason is that 10X8 represents a full frame contact print from a full plate camera and 5X4 inches a contact print from a half plate camera, which just goes to show how outdated these sizes are.

Actually, I thought 8 x 5 was half-plate and 5 x 4 was quarter-plate :shrug: Thinking about it - what is/was 8.5 x 6.5 ? :help:

At the end of the day, surely the crop/print/frame should match the image. If it ain't then it's the old Ford joke, "you can have any colour you want as long as it's black" :LOL:

Actually, I thought 8 x 5 was half-plate and 5 x 4 was quarter-plate :shrug: Thinking about it - what is/was 8.5 x 6.5 ? :help:

LOL. Looks like we both got it wrong Barry..

Whole plate is 6-1/2 x 8-1/2 inches and was the UK standard professional size 50+ years ago.

Half plate is 4-3/4 x 6-1/2 inches i.e, NOT half of half-plate but half an inch bigger.

Quarter plate is 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 inches i.e. a true one-quarter of whole plate.

Then there's a dinner plate and a side plate :LOL:

I did start to think about the 6-1/2 x 8-1/2 being whole plate, but then I got really confused. It don't take much these days ;) well done for finding out though.

Wonder how a 10 x 8 print started to fit in - not much of an enlargement from a whole plate....

Then there's a dinner plate and a side plate :LOL:

I did start to think about the 6-1/2 x 8-1/2 being whole plate, but then I got really confused. It don't take much these days ;) well done for finding out though.

Wonder how a 10 x 8 print started to fit in - not much of an enlargement from a whole plate....
You've got me wondering now. :thinking: I'm pretty sure there were, and possibly still are, more modern 10X8 backs available for these cameras.

Then of course, just to confuse the issue, there were 5X4 plate cameras too, so possibly 10X8 was a 2X enlargement from one of those?

Back