VAT Free Shopping (in the UK) ???

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone know of any Camera suppliers that participate in the TAX free shopping (sometimes known as VAT Retail Export Scheme).

I've trawled the internet and there's no mention of this on any of the bigger suppliers (Warehouse Express, LCE, Jessops etc) so short of phoning around (at work so it's hard to nip out) I thought some knowledgeable person here may know.

The main reason for this is that I'm moving to Canada in July and I've just found out that all purchases made in the last 3 months of living in the UK for goods that are being exported, along with myself, are eligible for a VAT refund when going through Heathrow. As long as the seller is registered with the TAX free shopping scheme.

Thought this would be a perfect time to finally get someone back from HMRC :razz:

Jessops in New Oxford Street London, and as far as I remember Jacobs in New Oxford Street, both have the VAT Exemtion Scheme Stickers in the window.

Most of the London stores will but give them a call first to confirm,

Phone the supplier you want to use and ask.

501cards said:
Jessops in New Oxford Street London, and as far as I remember Jacobs in New Oxford Street, both have the VAT Exemtion Scheme Stickers in the window.

Most of the London stores will but give them a call first to confirm,

I'm sure I've seen this in the Manchester store as well

I think most of the major retailers will, but you'll have to ring and ask as it's an in-store service. From memory there's a form they'll provide you with that makes it easier to claim.

I'm going to drag this one back up. With the recent demise of most high street electrical retailers, including Jessops, does anyone have any idea who offers high quality photographic products (I'm talking big lenses (Nikkor 500mm f4) and pro bodies (D4) and is signed up to the Retail Export Scheme?

WEX aren't. Don't mind travelling - has to be face to face, not online order.

I'm going to drag this one back up. With the recent demise of most high street electrical retailers, including Jessops, does anyone have any idea who offers high quality photographic products (I'm talking big lenses (Nikkor 500mm f4) and pro bodies (D4) and is signed up to the Retail Export Scheme?

Have you tried Grays of Westminster,:thinking:

They don't, but I see Jessops has resurfaced, like a phoenix.

Most high street stores including currys, selfridges,john lewis, house of fraser and most high other high street stores participate in the scheme.

Online purchases are not eligible.

They need to see your passport before preparing the required paperwork. The vat refund if generally processed by 2 companies so your vat refund is less their service charges.

Not to mention that the receipts have to be stamped by customs before departure. no stamp - no refund. If you flying out of heathrow you may be able to get an instant refund while at other airports like manchester you have to mail the receipts

any online purchases are not eligible for the VAT refund under the scheme

any online purchases are not eligible for the VAT refund under the scheme

Why do you think I said it needs to be face to face.

I've been through the process many times before so know how it works - I was just trying to find out if any bricks and mortar camera retailers were signed up for the scheme apart from Jessops.

Back