Beginner Venice- which lens ?

I take a quality camera with a nice prime and a compact for the wider or longer shots and for when the quality camera may be a bit too intrusive or attention grabbing. I have a Sony A7 and 35mm f2.8 which does the "good camera" thing and a 1" compact that even in low light gives whole pictures that are easily good enough for on screen viewing and normal to largish prints. Unless it's a photography outing rather than a day out or holiday I wouldn't complicate things further.
Thanks woof woof yes there is a good chance I am over-complicating. Best to keep it simple and spontaneous !

When I went last month, I took my 24-120mm (on my d750) and that was perfect.
Hi Stu ! I already follow you on Flickr and especially liked your gondola shot with the 10-stop. Your photos are an inspiration thank-you
Thanks for that Manxmaid and I shall ! Yes I think I will have the 35mm for the majority and 11-16mm wide angle even though not much of a zoom range on the Tokina.

Hi Stu ! I already follow you on Flickr and especially liked your gondola shot with the 10-stop. Your photos are an inspiration thank-you
Hey Pam, thanks for that, much appreciated! I got down to the square a touch too late and they turned off the street lights before sunrise - so if you go there, get there early! My top tip.

Hey Pam, thanks for that, much appreciated! I got down to the square a touch too late and they turned off the street lights before sunrise - so if you go there, get there early! My top tip.
Thanks Stu for your top tip. I might just try that now : )[emoji4]

Pickpockets.
Lets just say the safest place is next to your skin :)

Barcelona, for sure. but never felt remotely threatened in Venice or Rome tbh.....
My wife was there (Venice) earlier this year and was warned by her hotel that there had been problems.

I was in Barcelona earlier in the year and didn't have any problems :) , a few weeks before the incident.

Best to be prepared anywhere there are crowds.

My wife was there (Venice) earlier this year and was warned by her hotel that there had been problems.

I was in Barcelona earlier in the year and didn't have any problems :) , a few weeks before the incident.

Best to be prepared anywhere there are crowds.

Thanks for making me aware when in Venice. Rome for sure, my Dad has his wallet stolen in the Vatican. Yes ! Of all places. But it wasn’t the Pope that stole it as he was not in residence that day : ))

Thanks for making me aware when in Venice. Rome for sure, my Dad has his wallet stolen in the Vatican. Yes ! Of all places. But it wasn’t the Pope that stole it as he was not in residence that day : ))
I had my wallet stolen on the Rome underground.
Luckily another passenger saw it happen and warned me.
Still, once bitten... I'm a lot more careful now.

Last edited:
Back